Any Advice on Options (Scamp 13) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #15

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Addendum (more thoughts):
As I'd mention RV Sue has a nifty antenna (missed spelled above) which she takes down for travel.

I've read recently, 13' Scamps can be ordered with a wider bed. Not sure you would need this going solo.

Depending on tow vehicle one can use them to store a multitude of things & could be fitted with containers. One's to keep out rodents & other pests.

Of course, one can get a shower in the 13', something I'd want & use. However, one could find several shower tents in which one can shower. One of Many Shower Rooms

I spent a good bit of time each day, draining grey tank & refilling the freshwater tank due to shower use. Each day to keep the job from getting harder. I often drain shower water using a 6 gal. jerry can, if I can't drain it on ground.

We carry an extra tank in the back of the pickup so we can fill the freshwater tank without a hassle: The Rest of the Story

We didn't order a furnace on our 16'. If planning on full timing in one I believe I'd want one. With Solar Backup to keep the battery up or even with a small generator to keep the battery fresh, the furnace would be a handy thing to have around.

RV Sue's Custom Batteries Box

RVS's Solar Batteries, Controller & Meter

Sue's Solar Panels

The Solar Panels on the roof of tow vehicle seems pretty neat. Keep the weight off the Travel Trailer. Can be positioned for best sun without moving the TT & as MarkyVasquez mentions below, TT does not need to be in the sun. No holes have to be added to the Egg for the Solar insulation. They are adjustable.

One must realize, one will not be running an Air Conditioner off Solar.

We carry a Cube Electric heater, which work well in a small egg. But must have AC power for it (a generator or shore power). Although I believer a DC power one are made for automotive use. Don't believe it would last too long on batteries at night, without generator help.

RV Power Terms

MarkyVasquez, Thanks for the Complement. Hope some of my rambling will be of help.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
It seems strange that so many people would fight against a furnace when cold nights are so common and cold days not that uncommon. A cube heater will only work if you're connected to electricity. We spent a week of very cold weather (5) in Big Bend NP, TX. The furnace made it ok. Sometimes cold weather just happens like it did there, one day in the 80+s next day in the teens, next day at 5. That fast.
I have to agree with Byron on this. I personally dont see what the downside to a built in propane furnace really is, only see it as a plus. For me having a trailer that is ready to roll and able to camp where ever I want - whether there is power or no power and not having to remember to pack a bunch of extra items to make it happen is a big plus. The space a furnace takes up really isnt that big that much else will be able to go into that space and as you already have a large propane tank on the trailer there is no need to find a place to safely store a portable heater & the far more expense small propane bottles that go with it. Having a small trailer the less loose stuff I have to remember to pack up and secure each trip the happer a camper I am.

Using the built in furnace also means I dont need to worry about someone knocking it over or get up to shut it off before going to sleep or get up to start it in the morning, as it will shut itself down and restart on its own.

I have also found that I have needed to use my furnace at night or early mornings even when camping in the southern Nevada and California when the temps have been in the high 70's or low 80's during the day. Even used it fairly often in the middle of the summer here on the wet coast to dry out wet rain coats etc. As far a battery consumption goes I have managed to use my furnace in mornings and evenings prudently for a few days of dry camping without having to put out the solar panel to recharge the battery.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #17

Name: Rick
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13', "Eggcentric"
Wisconsin
Registry
Thank you Adrian!!
Old 09-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #18

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
13' trailer.... 45' Class A or hard sided tent?

Some people seem to want to try to make a 13' trailer into the same thing as a 45' Class A motor home, when it's not much more than a hard sided tent.

The more stuff you cram in the more confined it is, the more stuff to maintain, more problems and limits on where you go.

If you look at it as a hard sided tent with a few, very few, goodies in my opinion it all works a lot better.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #19

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Ditto on the thanks again Adrian. I was reading on RVSues blog and I like that she put the solar panel on her tow vehicle that way she doesn't have to park the trailer in the sun. She had it mounted on the luggage rack of her van.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #20

Name: McKenna Lynn
Trailer: Considering Scamp 13
Colorado
Ths is all amazing info. Thanks to everyone for helping!
Old 09-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #21

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenna Lynn View Post
Ths is all amazing info. Thanks to everyone for helping!

We ordered a 13 ft standard with shower, commode, AC ....opted for the heat strip vs the furnace, bike, all the cabinets we could get, 2 extra porch lights...one on the non door side...crack windows, screen, tv/ cable, awning...etc. it arrives next month. For us, we love the size ( been here before) and all the options. To some it's a hard sided tent, to us, it's a hotel room on wheels where we can take our dog and come and go when we please. Also, per Donnas excellent suggestion, we told them not to install the slinky stinky tube...I will do that myself with a larger one under the back bumper.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #22

Name: McKenna Lynn
Trailer: Considering Scamp 13
Colorado
I missed the suggestion on the slinky tube. But the rest sounds great! The people here are so helpful. I asked a question on the Subaru forum, and it has received over 400 views but only one reply.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #23

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenna Lynn View Post
I missed the suggestion on the slinky tube. But the rest sounds great! The people here are so helpful. I asked a question on the Subaru forum, and it has received over 400 views but only one reply.
This forum is the best one with most everyone kind and helpful.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
McKenna, Though I would choose a Scamp 13 over a Scamp 16. If buying a Scamp 13 the one option I would get is electric brakes.

No Scamp 13 comes with brakes standard and most used ones don't have them. All the other options are related to how you might plan to use the trailer, brakes relate to safety.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #25

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Many car manufactures tow specs require that brakes be on any trailer they tow over X so many pounds so there may not be a choose as to whether to order or not order them. Best to check the cars manual.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #26

Alabama
Good advice from Norm. I ordered them on mine. As it will be delivered next month, now I need to take my Jeep Wrangler to Camping World and get the controller box for my car. Norm, for both McKenna and my benefit, which one would you suggest. I know I want a quality one which will brake the trailer when I brake the car. I forgot the term for this. Thanks...H
Old 09-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #27

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman66 View Post
Good advice from Norm. I ordered them on mine. As it will be delivered next month, now I need to take my Jeep Wrangler to Camping World and get the controller box for my car. Norm, for both McKenna and my benefit, which one would you suggest. I know I want a quality one which will brake the trailer when I brake the car. I forgot the term for this. Thanks...H
Not Norm, but I think you would be happy with a Tekonsha Primus, P2 Prodigy or P3 brake controller.

Amazon.com: tekonsha brake controller - Brake Controls / Trailer Accessories: Automotive
Old 09-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #28

Alabama
Thanks Tom. I saw both the Tekonsha and Prodigy at CW. Do you know the difference between the two brands (function ability) as well as the difference between the Prodigy 2 vs 3? I appreciate your help. I'll probably get it installed soon. My Scamp will be done on the 19th. Delivered shortly after that.

Tags
scamp