Any Advice on Options (Scamp 13) - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #29

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman66 View Post
Thanks Tom. I saw both the Tekonsha and Prodigy at CW. Do you know the difference between the two brands (function ability) as well as the difference between the Prodigy 2 vs 3? I appreciate your help. I'll probably get it installed soon. My Scamp will be done on the 19th. Delivered shortly after that.
I would just refer you back to the Amazon link to show the differences, plus this: http://www.tekonsha.com/content/prod...ID=1435&part=0

Personally, I have the least expensive one and it does everything I want. For me the rest is bells and whistles.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #30

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I have to agree with Byron on this. I personally dont see what the downside to a built in propane furnace really is, only see it as a plus. For me having a trailer that is ready to roll and able to camp where ever I want - whether there is power or no power and not having to remember to pack a bunch of extra items to make it happen is a big plus. The space a furnace takes up really isnt that big that much else will be able to go into that space and as you already have a large propane tank on the trailer there is no need to find a place to safely store a portable heater & the far more expense small propane bottles that go with it. Having a small trailer the less loose stuff I have to remember to pack up and secure each trip the happer a camper I am.

Using the built in furnace also means I dont need to worry about someone knocking it over or get up to shut it off before going to sleep or get up to start it in the morning, as it will shut itself down and restart on its own.

I have also found that I have needed to use my furnace at night or early mornings even when camping in the southern Nevada and California when the temps have been in the high 70's or low 80's during the day. Even used it fairly often in the middle of the summer here on the wet coast to dry out wet rain coats etc. As far a battery consumption goes I have managed to use my furnace in mornings and evenings prudently for a few days of dry camping without having to put out the solar panel to recharge the battery.
Our first FG trailer did not have a furnace (Scamp) but had the strip heater in the A/C . It worked great if you camped where electricity was available and it wasn't too cold. When we ordered our new trailer (Casita) we made sure we ordered the propane furnace .We went camping last week in Northern Wisconsin at a campgrounds without electricity . One morning the temps were in the mid 30's , the furnace was a Godsend . I think not having the furnace really limits where you can camp plus not having a furnace really shortens your camping season in the colder states

Old 09-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #31

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Hman
I agree with Thomas' controller suggestions.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #32

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
Got to have a furnace though they are loud. It is hard getting up in the middle of the night to wee when it's cold.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #33

Florida
We have both a furnace and a (closet) air conditioner for those occasions where thy are needed though as nearly full timers we avoid climate extremes. Like Byron stated avoidance doesn't man it never happens. We have been as fae south as you can go in New Mexico, and not in the mountains, and woke to snow every where. The up side is that unuaual weather quickly returns to normal and usually the furnace is usually only needed for hours. Ginny says making a cup of tea warms the place right up.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #34

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
Got to have a furnace though they are loud. It is hard getting up in the middle of the night to wee when it's cold.
I find if I have to go in the middle of the night and it's flippin' cold... I can't Oh dear, showing my age again....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #35

Florida
Speaking of cold, it's been snowing in southwestern Colorado.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #36

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
I know I want a quality one which will brake the trailer when I brake the car. I forgot the term for this.
All controllers work this way. If you mean one which applies braking effort to the trailer in proportion to how hard you are braking, that's "proportional". The kind you don't want are "timed".

Quote:
I saw both the Tekonsha and Prodigy at CW. Do you know the difference between the two brands...
Tekonsha is the brand; the Prodigy models are by Tekonsha (a division of Cequent).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #37

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Thanks Brian for the info. It gets confusing.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #38

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Not Tom but the main difference between a Tekonsha P2 and P3 is that the P3 uses actual words for setup options vs codes the P2 uses so no need to refer to the owners manual to figure out what the code means. The P3 also has a different switch system for switching between different types of brake systems - electric or Hydraulic.

Very HaPpY with my P2 regardless as its pretty simple to use and have only had to refer back to the manual once since install to check on what something meant.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #39

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Thanks Carol....I was at CW today and looked at the 2 & 3. They were like $134 and $168. It sounds like the 2 will be a good call. I won't be pulling anything but my Scamp.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #40

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Thanks Carol....I was at CW today and looked at the 2 & 3. They were like $134 and $168. It sounds like the 2 will be a good call. I won't be pulling anything but my Scamp.

The Primus is $82 at Amazon.

Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ Brake Control : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 09-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #41

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
I purchased my Prodigy 2 at E trailer for $89.00 (Price match)
Old 09-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #42

Name: Karen
Trailer: Formerly Bigfoot 25RB21 and Scamp 19
Colorado
I went with the P2 when I needed a new controller. Works great.

Another vote for the furnace, esp. if you plan on camping without electricity. The fan is loud so if we have power and need heat at night we will more likely use a small electric space heater. But, being in Colorado, we have woken up many times to snow or frost at a high elevation in the summer in a place with no hookups and have been very glad to be able to run the furnace for a little bit.

Tags
scamp