Any Advice on Options (Scamp 13) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #1

Name: McKenna Lynn
Trailer: Considering Scamp 13
Colorado
Any Advice on Options (Scamp 13)

I have narrowed my search to Scamp 13 ft, Standard, with everyone's help, Thank You! Went to see one yesterday. They are smaller than the pictures look!

Just a few simple questions on options (if I end up ordering a new one).

How many extra interior lights would be best?
Exterior GFI outlet?
12 volt interior plugs?
Extra 120 v interior plugs?
Splash guards?
Microwave/Convection oven? I'd have to store under the table/bed.

I decided on the big stuff already. A/C, furnace, etc.
McKenna Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Front and rear overhead cabinets.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Ask them to install a Maxxfan deluxe instead of the fantastic fan. It could be raining outside and still could have it open and running.

Airxcel | Maxxair | Maxxfan

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I second the cabinets, as one can never have enough storage in a 13'. I would add a screen door option. Personally I would not get the furnace, as it is over-kill for such a small area. A small cube heater or catalyst heater is more than enough, and take up much less room, do not draw from your battery power, and are quieter. That saved space could be used to have a small microwave oven. If you have a choice between slider windows or crank-outs, go for the crank-outs so you could have them open during light rains. We have two 12 volt receptacles (one front and one rear), and 3 110 volt outlets. Have fun shopping.
Dave & Paula
13' Scamp
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenna Lynn View Post
I have narrowed my search to Scamp 13 ft, Standard, with everyone's help, Thank You! Went to see one yesterday. They are smaller than the pictures look!

Just a few simple questions on options (if I end up ordering a new one).

How many extra interior lights would be best?
Exterior GFI outlet?
12 volt interior plugs?
Extra 120 v interior plugs?
Splash guards?
Microwave/Convection oven? I'd have to store under the table/bed.

I decided on the big stuff already. A/C, furnace, etc.
Get the Exterior Outlet for sure! It was something I ended up adding and has come in handy many many times.

Only have one 12 volt plug and I get by with just the one, although a second one would be nice, not really a necessary for me.

Have two 120 plugs at the end of each side of the kitchen and haven't really ever needed or wanted more.

I am 50/50 on camping on or off grid so I dont have a microwave or convection oven. Get by just fine without. Have a good size toaster over for the rare occasion I want to bake something but to be honest it doesnt find its way out from under the rear bench very often.

Splash guards? assuming for tires? again don't have them and not an issue or something I would consider as needed.

Agree with the others that a Screen Door is a must have & all the overhead bins they offer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I'm the opposite of Dave B. I wouldn't get anything that is only 120Volt. The furnace for us really is a nice thing. I don't have to worry about tipping it over and the fan doesn't draw that much from the battery.
In my trailer there's one 120 Volt light over the sink, if I'd know what I know now it would have never been installed. I would have also done away with the converter and put the money into solar. (I do have solar so my converter is never on, I have the circuit breaker set to off.
I use the 120 outlets only when the trailer is in it's nest. I have two one inside by the dinette and one outside.

We camp so rarely in RV resorts or State campgrounds that 120 Volt stuff is a waste.

If you want to pay the extra price for camping with electricity, then your options will be different. Without electricity we average about $7.50 per night or about $1,000 per year for camping fees camping somewhere around 135 nights per year.
I'm not sure what the average would be with electricity, I'll guess at around $30.00 per night. That same $1,000 would only get us 33 nights, or our 135 night would be $4,050.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:49 AM   #7

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I'm the opposite of Dave B. I wouldn't get anything that is only 120Volt. The furnace for us really is a nice thing. I don't have to worry about tipping it over and the fan doesn't draw that much from the battery.
In my trailer there's one 120 Volt light over the sink, if I'd know what I know now it would have never been installed. I would have also done away with the converter and put the money into solar. (I do have solar so my converter is never on, I have the circuit breaker set to off.
I use the 120 outlets only when the trailer is in it's nest. I have two one inside by the dinette and one outside.

We camp so rarely in RV resorts or State campgrounds that 120 Volt stuff is a waste.

If you want to pay the extra price for camping with electricity, then your options will be different. Without electricity we average about $7.50 per night or about $1,000 per year for camping fees camping somewhere around 135 nights per year.
I'm not sure what the average would be with electricity, I'll guess at around $30.00 per night. That same $1,000 would only get us 33 nights, or our 135 night would be $4,050.
What is the converter, that you would have done away with? Is that the furnace? I plan on full-timing, so it would be good to be off the grid to save money. Do you use any particular books or references to find campsites?
Old 09-19-2013, 05:29 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Keep in mind that you may want to upsize/change your rig in the future. A trailer without basic shore hook-ups (power & water) would be very hard to sell to most future buyers. But I agree, the furnace is a bit overkill and expensive vs. a portable heater. It also makes a bit of noise and is a battery hog if it is used very often.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:34 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
What is the converter, that you would have done away with? Is that the furnace? ......
The converter is a device that changes 120 volts AC into 12 volts DC to run any 12 volt lights or fans and charge the battery when plugged into to AC power at a campsite.

There are a number of books and apps that list campgrounds. To do a search for subjects like this, use this tip:
Attached Thumbnails
Search box.JPG  
Old 09-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I bought my trailer used and had to put the heater in. You will want some kind of heater option. I would have an awning rail installed even if you dont buy an awning. You will want 110 volt on either side of the table you dont want to be stringing cords where you can hit them and pull the appliances. 110 outside the door is very handy even if you just set out a small table and run your convection oven or a croc pot. Get the screen door if you dont you will wish you did.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
What is the converter, that you would have done away with? Is that the furnace? I plan on full-timing, so it would be good to be off the grid to save money. Do you use any particular books or references to find campsites?
Tom has already answered about the converter.
As for campsites. Primary sources for finding cheap campsites are National Forest and National Park websites. Other than that other campers are one of the best resources for finding inexpensive places, lots of full timers that have been doing it for a long time have guided us to some pretty neat places.

When were in a travel mode, meaning going from one place to the next, if the travel spreads across a day or two, we stay in Walmart parking lots, Rest areas, truck stops for a few hours sleep. Those are free.

It seems strange that so many people would fight against a furnace when cold nights are so common and cold days not that uncommon. A cube heater will only work if you're connected to electricity. We spent a week of very cold weather (5°) in Big Bend NP, TX. The furnace made it ok. Sometimes cold weather just happens like it did there, one day in the 80+s next day in the teens, next day at 5°. That fast.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #12

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
If your handy, I would go without the furnace and add a marine propane heater like this one Dickinson Marine Newport Propane Gas Fireplace

the blower fan doesnt need to run except really at start up to get the draft going up the flue pipe. So would save on battery power while boondocking.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Options like everything else which a person would enjoy & use vary so much. Folks may offer their suggestions, but comes push or shove. It is what you can live with & be content.

Wow! Full timing in a 13'. Might read some the post in a woman's blog who has been FTing a 17' Castita for 3 years. Search www.rvsueandcaninecrew you should be able to fine it. They're two blog, an older & a new one.

Didn't see what you plan to tow with. Sue has a full size van. The solar is on the van, she has a nice setup. She give a lot derails on it in early post. Also has a neat cell phone antannie to pull in weak signals.

She has a shower, but seldom uses it (something I'd not like).

The 13' Scamps have a small refer, maybe no freezer. Perhaps could have one in the tow, if solar is hearty enough.

Back Again after eating resting:
Perhaps you can glean something from these sites-
RVSue & Crew

Dry VS. Boondocking

Some FTers like to workcamp as they see the country (not sure if you might like that idea or not)~ If you haven't discovered the The Work Camp Forum, I believe you will find many answers there as well as the Full Time RVing Section .

Not only do people work camp at RV parks/campgrounds, many take advantage of working for Amazon shipping centers during holiday rush periods & getting not only a wage but a campsite. Others work in the North Dakota Sugar Beet Harvest along the Red River by Fargo, etc. perhaps in MN as well (early fall, I believe). Others work for oil companies as Gate Guards, often in Texas, but in other states as well.

I see post from people wanting someone to work camp, not only at campgrounds, but a folks large estates or company operations. I've read of people taking care of small family ranch operations (AZ) for the owners so they can go on vacation.

I assume you intend to move south with colder weather cools off the more northern areas. AZ has a lot of SnowBirds there in the winter months. Lot of RV parks & campgrounds. There is a lot of BLM land there where folks boondock for small fees & at times free. The Ajo Area is one such place. And Ditto Plus Other Sites

New Mexico, not as many snowbirds, but some in the southern part. Some BLM land as in AZ. Not as warm overall. There are a few COE Campgrounds & several BLM campgrounds as well.

South Texas has a lot of Snowbirds, lot of RV parks, but not much for free.

Like RVSue, Here's a few others (some may work camp, others do not: Links to Blogs of Those on The Road.

Finding Places to Stay:

If you have clearance for using FamCamps at Military bases, these would be nice places at low rates to spent time. Many use the one in D-MAFB in Tucson.
Shields Park NAS Recreation Area for the Corpus Christi Naval Air Station.

More PIcs, Info & Video for Shields FamCamp.

Near Del Rio, Laughlin AFB FamCamp close to Mexico & Rio Grande River. Not far from Big Bend Nat'l Park.

Might check on time limits at them. Laughlin has 60 day stay limit, then out for 30 days.

Some Sites & Sight AZ & NM

Walmart Overnighting Locations by State. Yellow W = OK to overnight. Red W + No Overnighting.

Free or Nearly Free Campgrounds listed by state.

Ditto Free or Nearly Campsites

Free Overnight RV Parking

Finding RV Dump Stations

Ditto Dump Stations

Not Full Timers, but Snowbirds from Canada: http://thebayfieldbunch.com/. Have Spent many Many Winters in SouthWest. Check back posts for Areas such as Ajo boondocking, Slab City (CA) & other sites.

They gave RVSue advise on getting Solar work done. A extremely talented man doing solar work who lives at Slab City.

Having an Inverter (changes 12v DC power to 115v AC household power might be helpful at times. Photo of an Inverter
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #14

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Wow, that's a great collection of information Adrian. My wife and I are campers and can really use this. This is a gold mine for us.
Thank you so much!
Marky
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Addendum (more thoughts):
As I'd mention RV Sue has a nifty antenna (missed spelled above) which she takes down for travel.

I've read recently, 13' Scamps can be ordered with a wider bed. Not sure you would need this going solo.

Depending on tow vehicle one can use them to store a multitude of things & could be fitted with containers. One's to keep out rodents & other pests.

Of course, one can get a shower in the 13', something I'd want & use. However, one could find several shower tents in which one can shower. One of Many Shower Rooms

I spent a good bit of time each day, draining grey tank & refilling the freshwater tank due to shower use. Each day to keep the job from getting harder. I often drain shower water using a 6 gal. jerry can, if I can't drain it on ground.

We carry an extra tank in the back of the pickup so we can fill the freshwater tank without a hassle: The Rest of the Story

We didn't order a furnace on our 16'. If planning on full timing in one I believe I'd want one. With Solar Backup to keep the battery up or even with a small generator to keep the battery fresh, the furnace would be a handy thing to have around.

RV Sue's Custom Batteries Box

RVS's Solar Batteries, Controller & Meter

Sue's Solar Panels

The Solar Panels on the roof of tow vehicle seems pretty neat. Keep the weight off the Travel Trailer. Can be positioned for best sun without moving the TT & as MarkyVasquez mentions below, TT does not need to be in the sun. No holes have to be added to the Egg for the Solar insulation. They are adjustable.

One must realize, one will not be running an Air Conditioner off Solar.

We carry a Cube Electric heater, which work well in a small egg. But must have AC power for it (a generator or shore power). Although I believer a DC power one are made for automotive use. Don't believe it would last too long on batteries at night, without generator help.

RV Power Terms

MarkyVasquez, Thanks for the Complement. Hope some of my rambling will be of help.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
It seems strange that so many people would fight against a furnace when cold nights are so common and cold days not that uncommon. A cube heater will only work if you're connected to electricity. We spent a week of very cold weather (5°) in Big Bend NP, TX. The furnace made it ok. Sometimes cold weather just happens like it did there, one day in the 80+s next day in the teens, next day at 5°. That fast.
I have to agree with Byron on this. I personally dont see what the downside to a built in propane furnace really is, only see it as a plus. For me having a trailer that is ready to roll and able to camp where ever I want - whether there is power or no power and not having to remember to pack a bunch of extra items to make it happen is a big plus. The space a furnace takes up really isnt that big that much else will be able to go into that space and as you already have a large propane tank on the trailer there is no need to find a place to safely store a portable heater & the far more expense small propane bottles that go with it. Having a small trailer the less loose stuff I have to remember to pack up and secure each trip the happer a camper I am.

Using the built in furnace also means I dont need to worry about someone knocking it over or get up to shut it off before going to sleep or get up to start it in the morning, as it will shut itself down and restart on its own.

I have also found that I have needed to use my furnace at night or early mornings even when camping in the southern Nevada and California when the temps have been in the high 70's or low 80's during the day. Even used it fairly often in the middle of the summer here on the wet coast to dry out wet rain coats etc. As far a battery consumption goes I have managed to use my furnace in mornings and evenings prudently for a few days of dry camping without having to put out the solar panel to recharge the battery.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #17

Name: Rick
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13', "Eggcentric"
Wisconsin
Registry
Thank you Adrian!!
hobofoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #18

Registry
13' trailer.... 45' Class A or hard sided tent?

Some people seem to want to try to make a 13' trailer into the same thing as a 45' Class A motor home, when it's not much more than a hard sided tent.

The more stuff you cram in the more confined it is, the more stuff to maintain, more problems and limits on where you go.

If you look at it as a hard sided tent with a few, very few, goodies in my opinion it all works a lot better.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #19

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Ditto on the thanks again Adrian. I was reading on RVSues blog and I like that she put the solar panel on her tow vehicle that way she doesn't have to park the trailer in the sun. She had it mounted on the luggage rack of her van.
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #20

Colorado
Ths is all amazing info. Thanks to everyone for helping!

Tags
scamp