Any drawbacks to buying a fiberglass trailer? - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-06-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
Trailer: 1991 Burro 17 ft
Thumbs up

Hi all,
So we've been camping with our popup camper lately and it's been a lot of fun. We now want to upgrade to a hard-walled travel trailer. There are lots of options but I haven't found anything that fits my basic criteria - no more than 3000lbs ready-to-go.

Now fiberglass trailers open up a whole new world to us in that sub 3000lbs category. But are there any drawbacks to owning a fiberglass vs. a standard travel trailer? We're not looking for bells and whistles because the main reason we want to upgrade to a hard-walled trailer is safety and security at night (mostly from the two legged animals) and two a little less work packing/unpacking/tear-down. So are the fiberglass trailer strong enough for us to feel safe in them? Any other drawbacks? If anything I think they're superior to the regular trailers due to the weight, aerodynamics and the fact that fiberglass doesn't rust or rot like metal or wood.

We don't care for TV, satellites, microwave etc. Just need something that sleeps 4, stove, sink, dinette, furnace, a/c and optionally a small fridge, a shower and a restroom - that's about it.

Also, I hear there's a fiberglass RV convention in OR in August, can anyone point me to that, we may consider attending it since we've never seen a fiberglass trailer in person.

Russell, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

Also, I hear there's [b]a fiberglass RV convention in OR in <strike>August</strike>, can anyone point me to that, we may consider attending it since we've never seen a fiberglass trailer in person.
Link to "The Oregon Gathering" [b]Forum at Bullard's Beach State Park. [b]JULY 16, 17, 18, & 19

Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Russell, H.

I see that you are in Orange, County California. You are very close to where we hold a rally each year. If you are interested in looking at several different fiberglass trailers, you might want to come.

We have the Lake Casitas Rally scheduled for October 29 to November 2. Lake Casitas is near Ventura, and Ojai. On Saturday we will have an Open House where the trailers will be open to walk through and you can talk to the owners and see why Fiberglass trailers are so loved.

We have 34 trailers registered so far in the BASS campground.

CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Russell,

Are you tall? Most of the small trailers have bed lengths around 6'4". I find I fit my Trillium fine at 6'1" but my friend at 6'4" decided to get a popup for the big beds. There is definitely more wind drag with a travel trailer so I would assume your gas mileage would get worst. With our 13' we still have to do a certain amount of unloading/setup but if you can afford a 17' then you probably could avoid that.

Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Well, Russell, the drawback I see is that we often have to let people tour our trailers. They stop us in gas stations, run us down in parking lots, and bother our early morning coffee to tell us how cute our trailers are and could they see inside.

1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud, "The Egg Carton"
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
The only drawback I found when I was looking was the price and availability. The fibreglass trailers command a big price premium over the hardtop campers.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
Name: Brandy
Drawbacks.....hummmmm.....lets see, strangers will honk at you and drive by giving the "thumbs up". You will curse yourself for not doing this sooner. MMMM, you will find yourself craining your neck looking across the freeway if you see a fellow "fiberglasser" wondering what year and what make it is , and do you know them......your friends will envy you....Thats about it
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
Name: Alan
Trailer: FORMERLY:Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
hahahahaha... Brandy is RIGHT. On the way home from Yellowstone we got the thumbs up and we even had a chat at a red light.

seriously, though, the height issue is important. I am 6'1" and I **JUST FIT** in the loft of our Scemp 5th wheel. If you are much taller, it could be a deal breaker.

Oh - the only other draw back is you keep looking at it in the driveway and want to GO!!!!!!!!!!!
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
Wow those are some drawbacks I'm willing to live with

Carol/Jim, thanks for the suggestion I'd love to go but I have the itch to buy now Although the availability is tough and the used ones are definitely pricier.

Edit: Height is not a concern, I'm right around 6 ft tall.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #10
Name: Linda and Dale and Dallas the cat
Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
You say you don't need bells but our 17 foot has a microwave, large refridgerator, TV DVD, shower, toilet, running water and most of the bells that come with standard trailers. We agree with the others, that main downside is being stopped at gas stations to hear about our trailers. We even had someone pass us three times only to corner us when we stopped so that they could see inside.
Linda&Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #11
Name: Ian or Vicki
Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Explorer Sport Trac
British Columbia

The other drawback is that you spend hours cruising this website.
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #12
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Drawbacks. hummmmm. Bed size and the number of beds can be a problem... depending on the size of the individuals and the need for space. What are you planning to tow with? That really is the place to start. When you say "sleeps four," is that two adults and two children (age of the kids?)

Here's a couple of topics you may want to look at:
Bed Size ????

Inside Height by Trailer Brand

Family Friendly Floor Plans
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #13
Yes, 2 adults and two kids (ages 5 and 9) - thanks for the links I'll check out those threads.

So the next question is what do you guys recommend in terms of the size and dare I say the brand? The most aerodynamic, the most well balanced (tongue weight in proportion to the trailer weight) and the one with fewest issues. I kinda saw some mention of rivets in the passing.

Thanks everyone! The itch is getting stronger but the economy is making me feel nervous about making a second large purchase this year.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #14
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Sirit Deluxe
Casita or Scamp for the smaller areodynamic units they come in 13 16 and 17.
Bigger is the Bigfoot. All of these have websites you can visit.

andy s is offline   Reply With Quote