Any Good Sam members here? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #29

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Good $am

I had always been under the impression that the good $am club was an association of Airstream owners, as it was always one of those that I saw the decals on.

(Now it - like CW - seems to be geared more towards those whose RV is based on a Prevost or MCI chassis.)

Old 01-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #30

Name: Owen
Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Alberta
Registry
Yes I have been a Good Sam member since 1987. I am also a Charter Life Member since the program was first offered about 20 years ago. I have enjoyed the Highways Magazine, the fellowship of fellow Good Samers and the benefits of membership in an organization where someone has encountered the problem prior to me.

In years that I have travelled extensively, we have taken out ERS and used it many times for everything from fuel pump failure to decking our trailer after the hitch broke at the frame. We benefitted from the dedication of Standby Sams on a couple of occasions. discounted costs on the Campground guide along with a backroads roadmap have led us to many enjoyable weekends in places we might not have otherwise found.

The only frustration I have is having to tear out the reader reply cards before reading any of the publications before reading it. Until 1982, when we had a house fire, I still had the 1966-67 issues of Trail-R-News that first piqued my interest in RVs. It's been a fairly long and a good ride.

Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #31

Name: Rick & Rei
Trailer: 1970 Campster
Kansas
Gs insurance

We have had excellent service from our insurance company/agent for almost 40 years. When our agent retired, his son took over the business and we have continued with him.
I hate to switch and then get service like some of the people have had. It is worth the $20 a month extra. I know what kind of service I am going to get.
Hopefully I won't need to call them-happy camping to us all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
rich---although you say $20/month savings "isn't worth the hassle of switching"...that mere $20 monthly adds up to $240 annually. to me, that IS worth switching for!

i also have been a roadside assistance customer of good sam for 2 years. i originally purchased their membership for 2 reasons: they cover dependents up to age 25 (some conditions apply) and with 3 boys at home or at school, this was a great savings. secondly, their coverage includes the trailer. previously, we had coverage with CAA (the canadian equivalent of AAA). they do not cover the trailer. what good is it for them to tow my tow vehicle somewhere yet leave my trailer somewhere else? i want them both to go together. we have called them for tows 3 times( on a variety of cars in the family) and each time, service was excellent----quick, efficient and very, very good customer service....each time, they called me back every 15 minutes until the tow truck arrived! i have never had service like that. plus, the concierge service is very helpful when travelling.
all in all, i will continue to be a member/customer of roadside but i do not hold a membership to the good sam camping club. we did, the first year, and did not use it enough to even pay back my membership dues, so we did not renew.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #32

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave
I sorta wish that there was some sort of law against organizations like Good Sam being allowed to call themselves a "club". They are not a club - they are the "Good Sam Corp", but their name implies a club. Misleading, to say the least.
You could say that same thing about Escapees . It is also a for-profit corporation like Good Sam. Most "clubs" are often organized legally as a 501c3. They are not. Escapees is entirely controlled by the Peterson family who run the club, hold all the offices and published the magazine.

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #33

Name: Vic
Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Alberta
Registry
It's interesting to read the responses here. For us up in the frozen north (it's -32 degrees C (-26 degrees F) today), it is a little simpler. My AMA (Alberta Motor Association) is good all across Canada, and I'm told, in the US as well, although I haven't tested it there other than discounts. I am on the Husky gas program that saves dollars against the annual membership renewal, so I usually pay only a few bucks to get the RV Pluss membership.

Having said that, I am also a Good Sam member for the past about 20 years. I have no idea how many days I would have to drive to get to a Camping World, so that is not an issue. I have used their camping discounts at Good Sam parks (we have a few) to good effect. The main benefit is the magazine. I am continually learning new things from their "problems" sections, and I believe they do a good job of highlighting new products of interest. I have never considered their road assistance as a real option.

Vic
Old 01-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #34

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
How much is the regular cost of the service after the first year special price??

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #35

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
As Frederick stated above, check your American Automobile Association handbook that is applicable to your home state. Here in Pennsylvania, they do not cover rv's without an engine, so trailers are not covered. I went with Good Sam ERS 4 years ago, it covers all my cars (4 of them) my motorcycle and my rv, for 3 drivers all for around $120/year with discounts for a multiyear policy. For the peace of mind, it is priceless. I'm finding as I age gracefully, the less I have to worry about, the better I feel. I' m even thinking about buying 7 year extended service policy on the rv that covers 100% for less than $1k.
Who knows, between the extended service policies on everything, my hair may stop turning grey and return to my natural color??
Do you think that may happen?
Old 01-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #36

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
How much is the regular cost of the service after the first year special price??
If you're talking about the Emergency Road Service, ours was up to $129 a year this time. I think the year before it was $119.

I usually pay as soon as I get the notice that it's coming due. But last time I put it off until the last week. Then I got a call offering me the introductory rate of $89 to renew.

I seriously think the $129 a year is reasonable since they have been there for us when we needed them.

Just for perspective, I went shopping last week and noticed EVERYTHING has gone up, and not just a few cents.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #37

Name: Denise
Trailer: 2012 Casita 17' SD
Texas
Registry
I wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
As Frederick stated above, check your American Automobile Association handbook that is applicable to your home state. Here in Pennsylvania, they do not cover rv's without an engine, so trailers are not covered. I went with Good Sam ERS 4 years ago, it covers all my cars (4 of them) my motorcycle and my rv, for 3 drivers all for around $120/year with discounts for a multiyear policy. For the peace of mind, it is priceless. I'm finding as I age gracefully, the less I have to worry about, the better I feel. I' m even thinking about buying 7 year extended service policy on the rv that covers 100% for less than $1k.
Who knows, between the extended service policies on everything, my hair may stop turning grey and return to my natural color??
Do you think that may happen?
If that works I'm in right now!

Also, I joined Good Sams (basic membership) for three years at $11. a year just because it was a resonable price and I got a $25. camping rebate. We stayed in a Good Sams park on our way home (used the rebate!) from picking up our new egg & the people at the Vineyards Campground in Grapevine, Texas were truly lifesavers when we accidentally locked ourselves out of our trailer. I am not big on RV parks either, but after that experience I will look for Good Sams Parks if I can't find a state park. As far as insurance we found our Allstate to be resonable (hopefully good) and just added the trailer to our car/house coverage. We don't have many places to shop for RV stuff here, so I have enjoyed the shipping discounts for Good Sams avaliable at the CW. Last time it was free shipping if you spend $50. and right now they have $5. shipping. The mass of emails is a little annoying - bad thing is I can almost always find something I want.........

Link to JoJo's dog agility:http://www.youtube.com/user/yellowro...?feature=watch
yellowroseoftexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #38

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I don't belong to the Club but have their towing insurance.
The in tank fuel pump quit on my Sunrader 2 years ago. There are no Good Sam tow providers in my area.
They sent a tow truck 65 miles to move my moho 3 miles.
I have no complaints about the Good Sam Roadside plan.
John
Old 01-20-2012, 01:41 AM   #39

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
I have been a GS member for almost 10 years. This is not your father's Good Sam Club or Camping World. You might want to look Affinity Group up in your Wikipedia.

Bob
Bigfoot 17CB
Old 01-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #40

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Wow!! That explains a lot, actually.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #41

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Good Sam services are like anything else... some will like them and feel they provide good value, some won't. Some like to shop at store A and some at store B. I'm thankful that we have choices, and freedom to exercise our preferences.

Personally I can't see any point in ERS, although if I had a moho and were on the road with it all the time I might feel differently. A trailer is a little easier to deal with (can unhook and drive off if need be), and usually the most common problem is a flat tire (that's what that big round thing on the bumper is for). But I did just send in for membership... between the night of free camping and the discounts I should come out ahead this year. Too bad about the magazine going to a quarterly, it's sort of fun to look at it.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #42

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
Mike,
I think the key to Good Sam's being a favorite for many of us is that both the TV and the trailer are covered, and both will be towed if we experience a problem with one, if necessary. I'd hate to leave my trailer at the side of the lonely highway if the truck had a problem... And, the price to provide ERS for all our vehicles, plus the trailer, was about the same as our previous ERS with AAA.We don't get emails from Good Sam's, but we still get a lot of junk snail mail from them, unfortunately. At least we have paper recycling in our community .
Sherry