Any here switch from camper van to egg? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Any here switch from camper van to egg?

Have any of you ever in the past camped in a small class B camper van, and now tow a fiberglass trailer instead? If so, what factors made you decide to switch?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Mike

I had camped out of several different Van style rigs before deciding I needed a way to not have to break camp to go places all the time.

I found it too limiting and way too much of a chore to have the car be the camper.

I use my Sprinter on occasion now just because it is so easy for an impromptu over night stop but if possible I far prefer Promptu!

Is that a word?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #3

Name: Chris
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Registry
I had a small camper van, it's advantage was that its much easier to maneuver - a trailer needs some practicing, I liked the high seating position which allowed me to see much more of the landscape, and parking in cities is much easier.
The biggest advantage of a trailer is that you can have a permanent place more like a base camp. Most vans in the US suck: bad mileage, awful engines, horrid suspension or you have to spend $$$ for a Sprinter while with a trailer you can choose your vehicle. You can have a car with 4 save seats while the rear sets in a camper van seem often unsafe. I also like most floor plans of the trailer better than the vans.
chse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Interesting, thank you.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by chse View Post
I also like most floor plans of the trailer better than the vans.
One possible reason is that the vans (Class B motorhomes) are so restricted in width. Common eggs are 2 metres (80" or 6'8") wide, and even the exceptionally spacious second-generation Sprinter (now a very popular Class B base) is 1.78 metre (70") wide at the widest point of the floor; its overall width including mirrors is 2 metres (80").

The other van floorplan issue is the driver and front passenger seating: it is great to be able to spin the seats around and make the cab area a useful part of the interior, but it constrains the floorplan designs to have a front living area... and the entry door is always immediately behind the front passenger seat.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #6

Name: Jay
Trailer: former class c now an egg hunter
New York
We had a 2001 Class C and decided dragging our home wherever we wanted to go was a pain...and inhibiting. Now looking at eggs...really like the Escape because of the layout.

We can venture off and enjoy.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Traveling in a motorhome was somewhat nicer, people could use the bed, bathroom, couch or table while traveling.

Once I arrived however it was often sort of a pain not having a vehicle without breaking camp. The less inclined I am to ride a bike 5 miles to get ice the better I like the trailer.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If I am blessed with life and health I might use my trailer for several decades. It is a lot easier to switch TVs or even have several to choose from. Plus there is that Base camp thing.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote