Any ideas on why my scamp - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-18-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
hi, just wondering if anyone has any ideas why my scamp isnt selling? i had an offer of 4 from a out of state r.v sellar, offer of 5, and offer of 6200, i know when were looking 2 years ago we would have jumped on this, we looked at alot of old beaten ones before buying new.. we have had alot of rainy days out here hopefully with better weather it will pick up? thanks

bobby & linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:39 AM   #2
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
yeah, I think the weather and TAX SEASON has put a lot of people off from buying much of anything. Where all have you advertised? CraigsList??? It sounds like a nice trailer and should sell soon.

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
You just haven't met up with the one person who wants it enough to pay your price and has the funds to cover the cost. I'm sure you knew that already.

Seriously, we think everyone thinks like we do and just lusts over our little RGRV's. But that's just not true in any sense. Just look at all the huge rigs on the sales lots and on the highways and in the campgrounds. Look at "Trailer Life" and other magazines. Most of the so-called 'camping rigs' are a sumptious as homes and many have most features of upper scale homes.

To me it is just crazy, and these rigs don't even look like much fun; not to herd down the highway, shoe-horn into a parking spot or to sit in for a vacation, or to pay for.

But I must realize that it is obviously I who am crazy, finding myself in a very small minority of a niche market and actually preferring it.

So hang in there. There's gotta be a crazy coming down the pike soon.

I use the work 'crazy' rather loosely. It really should be 'escentric'.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:40 AM   #4
Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Bobby and Linda, Have you thought about putting it on ebay? I've seen these little buggers go for some great prices once somebody starts to bid, nobody likes to lose. Put a reserve price on it of the lowest you'd take for it and sit back and watch. I bought mine on ebay over 3 yrs ago and recently there was an identical year, model and make that went for over a thousand more than I paid for mine and they decribed it as in excellent shape
Love being Inneggsile
heading sloowly up the eastcoast to our next 2 month (Aug and Sept) camp hosting gig at Camden Hills State Park in Maine
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:31 PM   #5
Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Hi Bobby and Linda,

I think you might generate more interest in your Scamp if you include some photos with the listing, particularly since it sounds like it's in excellent condition.

Another idea - you might want to bring your trailer to a fiberglass rv rally. I know that a camper/participant at the last Oregon Gathering sold their trailer during the gathering.

Good luck!
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Hi Bobby and Linda,

I think you might generate more interest in your Scamp if you include some photos with the listing, particularly since it sounds like it's in excellent condition.

Good luck!
I agree, verbal description is great but not near as good as if you include several pictures. The ones I see marked SOLD in the Casita Classifieds are either the cheap ones or the ones with pictures. Remember----A PICTURE IS WORTH 1000 WORDS.
RON HEIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Mine is not selling either . Gas prices are not helping! I thought sure it would be long gone down the road by now but not a looker yet. Two buyers that said they would take it and then they never showed to even take a look. I thought mine was sold twice, but both parties never showed from out of state. I have a nice one, and in time someone will come by. We both have to "hang in there" as some think we should almost give them away. I think NOT.
Money will buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:51 PM   #8
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
I've bought and sold several trailers in the past couple of years, and never waited more than a week or so for a full-price sale. Your trailer has to be spotless, and you absolutely can't post too many high-quality photos. Folks like to see what they're reading about.

I just listed my 19' Scamp CD fifth wheel in the "For Sale" section this afternoon, and I've got 45 photos of the trailer and truck put up on my Yahoo photo site. It's worked well in the past; we'll see how it does this time!

Sales are seasonal, and it's just now warming up to the point that folks are thinking about looking. Patience is a virtue, and 'tis just now the beginning of the season. It'll happen folks... just hang in there!

Best of luck to all of us!

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:15 PM   #9
Trailer: Bigfoot 16 ft
As long as your priced right it should sell. The older beater units, that are cheap fly off the lot. Newer units that are more expensive are harder to sell. A person has to feel he is saving some $ to make it worth while to buy used. We looked and looked for a nice used Scamp and found the newer units where so close in price to new that we decided to spend a little more and buy new. I agree with others, put in some nice photos and pretty words to help motivate. The weather is probably the biggest factor. When the nice days start to happen all those buyers that are waiting till the last second will come around in a big panic, begging you to take their money! Remember, the Scamp factory had a fire and their production is backed up, perhaps months to get a new one. Good luck!
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:22 PM   #10
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Go to to get a suggested book price on the unit. That will give you an idea of where you are concerning what you are asking.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 04:58 PM   #11
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
ouch nada says 37-4,500 i know people like pictures guess i should take time and figure out how to do it, its just when i say its like new ,its like new, i guess i assume anyone looking for a scamp knows about scamps. thanks everyone, ill get it figured out sooner or later
bobby & linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 05:33 PM   #12
Name: Linda
Trailer: Honey
I'll see if I can give a buyer perspective: I am hoping to buy an egg someday. But, like everyone else, I have a price limit based upon MY finances, not on the value of the trailer. I did see your trailer posted in craigslist. I even posted it here as a referral. It sounds great, and the price seemed reasonable, even if out of my range. BUT. No photos. You said, Like New. As a buyer, Ive heard that and sometimes it is true.

Sometimes it is way off. I looked at a sticky tin trailer that was in "like new, excellant" condition according to the owner. Nice guy, but we definitely had differences of opinion.
Flat tires, holes in the tin, water had been running down half of one wall inside, so much stuff you couldn't even see the corners to see if there was water damage, the ice box was missing, and there were mouse droppings in all the "kitchen" drawers. I am not saying yours is like that, not at all, but a picture makes a world of difference.

If I have a picture I can get a ballpark of what may or may not be wrong. I can tell if the inside has been painted an unusual color, if the main parts are there, if the shell has any major modifications. Then I also have a better idea whether I should travel to see it. In your case, I'd love to see it. You're close to me. Im surprised you haven't sold it as the ones in this area have gone quickly. But my looking at it does you no good, cause you are out of my price range. Be sure your pictures show as much as possible.

List it again on craigslist, every few days. If someone doesn't see it one day they might the next. Add "not burro, casita" or "fiberglass trailer" to the words in the body of the listing. It makes it better for someone trying to search that might not use "scamp" You might also try listing in on The forum is my all time favorite, but the classifieds at the casitaclub may be seen by someone else.
Also, time is critical in everything. Last week was Easter and taxes and spring break and gas prices rising. ALL at ONCE! The weather in this area is just now starting to warm up.

Don't give up. You sound like you have a great trailer. I know Ive mostly repeated what everyone else is saying, but I just wanted you to know there are buyers out there, and there will be one for you. There are many people who love these little eggs, but want one in good condition, and can pay for it.
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:00 PM   #13
Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
I see eggs selling faster in some parts of the country than in others. Here in the South, they really do not last very long. My wife and I had many a Scamp/Boler/Casita whisked out from under our noses before we could so much as drive to see them. Once I saw an online ad that had just been placed and when I called to see if I could drive up to take a look, it had been bought, sight unseen, within minutes of the posting.

We finally got lucky and were able to nab our Casita from a couple in Georgia.

I can't imagine us selling our Casita unless we were forced into it due to unforeseen circumstances, or unless we upgraded to a larger fiberglass model (which I can't see us doing because of rising gas prices).

And the price of gas is going to make fiberglass egg trailers even more desireable than ever. We get 18mpg pulling our 17 foot trailer with our V6 truck. I'd hate to think of our gasoline expenses if we had a V8 engine pulling a much heavier trailer.

BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:01 AM   #14
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
NADA usually supplies 3 descriptions along with $$. The Good, Bad and Ugly.

Did you plug in the correct description? as New, no scratches, etc?

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote