Any ipad user traveling around the west?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #15
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
I still have the original ipad unlimited data plan that was discontinued a month wfter the iPad first shipped. Otherwise the hot spot sounds like a good idea. I would still like a good way to use my regular computer and the hot spot would do that but I would be paying twice as much, I think.

Bobbie Mayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #16
Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Originally Posted by Johnny B
Stop. Set up your phone as a mobile hotspot and use both your phone and iPad for the same price. We have a T-Mobile Android phone and it works like a charm. Before that we traveled the West for 18 months in our Casita and used Verizon mobile broadband and it worked nearly everywhere. We were genuinely surprised at the coverage. Then we made the jump to smart phones that can be set up as wi-fi "hotspots" and now we have better phones plus mobile internet for the same price. We use them for our laptops and our iPads. Far less limiting than subscribing for just one device. Do yourself a favor, don't pay for using just one device, pay once and use them all.
One reason I like having wireless data on both my iPad and iPhone is that If I lose one of the devices (or if it is stolen), I can track it with the other device! Also, the wifi only iPad does not have the same GPS capability as the 3G model. The only way the wifi model can know where you are is if you are connected to a wifi network that reports it's location. On the road, you are better off with 3G.

If you are on a tint budget, though, then tethering might be the best option. Even so, I would opt for the 3G capable iPad, because then you have the option of going with 3G if the tethering doesn't work out for some reason.

I disagree that it is all that much cheaper, though. I believe AT&T charges $20 a month for tethering on an iPhone. That would be for sharing a 2gb data plan. I pay $29.99 a month for unlimited data on the iPad. My iPhone is unlimited data, too... But I'm not sure if they would let me keep that plan if I went with tethering. In any case, it would only save me $10 a month... And for that, I don't want to give up the no-longer-available unlimited plan.

SOLD! - 1984 Scamp 13 in Maryland.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #17
Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Guess that's why my 5 yr old Tracfone is able to make/receive calls when I'm out there since it's not a "G" anything.
Melissa - I too use a 5 yr. old Tracfone! It works everywhere because Tracfone pays to use other's service/towers, including smaller local ones. At least that's how it was when I signed on 5 yrs. ago. It's slowly getting to be AT&T and Verison for cellphones.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts, experiences & suggestions.......and envy those of you with the unlimited AT&T plans! CD I especially appreciate your telling how much you use, I suspect I would not use a huge amount either, do you use the GPS on the iPad?

I never thought about the fact that the AT&T iPad connection would be better than cell phone, most comparisons between the two are for cell phone reception. My husbands AT&T cell phone (work phone so we can't do any tethering to or get any 'package' deals) usually works anywhere my AT&T aircard does.

Appreciate knowing there is connection at Grayland, certainly an area we like to go. I found out here on the Olympic Peninsula the Verizon tower that serves Forks does not reach Kalaloch, whereas the AT&T tower is just past Kalaloch and that area gets great AT&T reception but no Verizon! I suspect that is how it is in most 'remote''s a matter of hills and valleys.

The month to month is the great appeal. An aircard is expensive & a monthly commitment (fortunately my contract is over & I can drop it) And when Wifi is available then it just saves on the amount of gbs used. I think the savings over the long run (really long run!) will help pay for the ipad (plus I found a local store that will give me some credit on some old Macs I have.)

Still pondering which big mega company to 'hitch' to.....seems there are happy customers of both. Glad to hear from happy ipad users too! It's an investment, but sure would make on the road internet use easier.

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." -- Lao Tzu

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:33 AM   #18
Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
Hi Penny and Mike
We have taken ours through all the western states without issue except - 3g in the Morton Washington area a year or so ago was a problem. We almost exclusively use wifi when it's available anyway and it seems to be free ly available 99% of the time.

It has replaced our MacBook for travel.

Navigon is installed on our iPad although Google maps comes with the iOS and is very capable.

I'm looking for a road atlas app that loads all its data on the iPad so it can be read "offline". Haven't found one yet.
mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:04 AM   #19
Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mike BC
Is this what your looking for?
AA Road Atlas for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #20
Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Thanks for the link Kevin. I have looked at this before and it's UK only. Nothing I've seen so far for North America. If I do find something I'll be sure to pass it along here.

mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote