Any one use a USB Repeater - Long range WiFi Repeater? - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Any one use a USB Repeater - Long range WiFi Repeater?

I am planing on adding a WiFi repeater to my camping equipment arsenal. Does any one have any experience with one of these?
Thanks! Jason
Here is the one I am thinking of.
¤RadioLabs || High Powered Wifi Repeater Kit -

Old 07-21-2015, 10:31 AM   #2

New York
Registry
Must be no one else is is using one.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 07-21-2015, 11:34 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
In my car, I use a Wilson antenna amplifier for the phone (which can be a hot spot). In the trailer, I use a mifi device which of course requires a data plan for the telephone. Both approaches require a data plan for that matter. FWIW, I don't trust the security of public wifi systems, like at a campground. Just me I suppose. Data plans cost money but it's money I'm willing to spend.

Since I mostly camp in state and federal parks, few (none) of which have public wifi, the mifi device does the trick for me.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #4

New York
Registry
"I don't trust the security of public wifi systems, like at a campground. "

That's why I want a repeater, I be leave you can set it up with a secure password. It makes it safer than the open campground or other WiFi connection you might pick up.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:55 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
My sense of how these things work is that you can set up the password to restrict access to the repeater <=> your device part, but the business between your repeater the the public wifi is not so well protected.

Public WIFI<=>Repeater<=>Computer

But I didn't intend to start an argument. I just wanted to offer something to show someone was at least reading your post.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I too read your post (heck I think I read every word on this forum) and share your concern about security.

But I don't know for sure how the repeater works so I did not reply before. I tend to agree however if you are just repeating to a router that someone else controls, then your no better off than if you connected to it directly. I think the repeater will only get you more range. However I could be wrong and hope someone else who knows better chimes in, esp. if they have any security tips because that's a big problem now days.

I keep a tablet with no personal info on it for access to news, weather, games, etc on public WiFi. You can steal all of that data you want, it won't bother me. I keep my personal data on a laptop that is only allowed on trusted networks (such as MiFi).
Old 07-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I'm pretty sure Steve nailed it. The purpose of a repeater is to extend the range by relay of the signal. WiFi in one end of the house, repeater in the middle, access at far end of house is computer => repeater => WiFi => internet. The password on the repeater does just prevent others from connecting to the repeater, just as a WiFi password prevents strangers from connecting to your WiFi. You are all on the same "public" WiFi network.

On public WiFi service you are most vulnerable to a man in the middle that "pretends" to be the WiFi and thus routes all your internet traffic through their control. Or convinces the network that this computer is the authority for resolving name to IP address (DNS) which allows them to route all traffic through a relay where they capture data.

What you really want is a VPN service. Virtual Private Network connection. These are web sites / applications that you connect to and they encrypt/decrypt all your internet communication. Since your original connection is via https it is also encrypted.

We use them at work to limit access via firewall so that to get to internal stuff you have to be at the office OR coming through the VPN and that requires you to log in via https to the VPN. This allows us to access private stuff via a motel or restaurant WiFi in a secure fashion.

I can not vouch for any of these specifically but these may provide you with a secure way to use a public WiFi service. Or you use your phone with hot spot app or mobile hot spot device. Advantage to device approach is probably better performance in most cases and under your control. Downside is cost. Have to compare that to VPN cost.

The Best VPN Services for 2015 | PCMag.com

Five Best VPN Service Providers or
Old 07-21-2015, 04:33 PM   #8

New York
Registry
Thanks guys this is the kind of information I was hoping for! I'm glad you all cleared all this stuff up for me. I don't plan on doing anything like banking over public wifi. I will use my air card for that.