Any place for a new manufacturer in the industry ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #15

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Tom 72 -- oh, good, you found it! YES, that's the one I meant. The Barefoot Caravan.

Thanks for looking and telling us about it. Especially interesting to me, because we have a tin sign and a blue-rhinestone bare footprint in Peanut -- the sign says "If you're not barefoot, you're overdressed." And yet I couldn't remember what this new egg was called. Duh! Senior moment on steroids. At least I know what time lunch is and my dogs' names! (So far.)

As for the Relic--according to their site, a "rolling shell" goes for $16,000...everything you add is extra above that. And in WA probably sales tax on top, like a big pricey cherry.

We're plenty glad we already have our redone '73 amerigo.

BEST
Kai

Old 02-26-2017, 02:17 PM   #16

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
That Barefoot was first posted here a couple years ago.
It had an article on the website that was full of hyperbole. First this and first that. It appears that the writer had never seen an egg.
Price wasn't advantageous either.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Great post, but I must add Escape, which appears to be the most successful relative newcomer. They have also been a leader in taking the the genre off the reservation by continuously increasing the size.
I didn't overlook Escape (see the third paragraph). I limited my list to the last ten years. With 16 years in the business, Escape is approaching middle age- not quite "old guard," but hardly a newcomer. I agree they have taken the market segment in a more conventional direction.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #18

Washington
Registry
Glen--new avatar?

The Barefoot is also not yet being sold here...the "soon" seems to be longer than soon after all, then. Besides, new ones are fairly spendy.

BEST
Kai

PS: I think when you eat the cheese, you eat the hole at the same time. IMHO.
It has no calories, so is a genuine diet food, especially good for those "breatharians" out there.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:57 PM   #19

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Glen--new avatar?
What? You tired of the toad?
Old 02-26-2017, 03:05 PM   #20

Washington
Registry
No, not tired of it at all, just thought you had a different one before now?

Didn't realize that was a toad, but I see it now that you've said it. Toad is cool.

BEST
Kai
Old 02-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #21

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
...I saw a Tesla in Sebring with Ohio plates. I assumed it must have been trailered there behind a bulgemobile. How could you drive it from Ohio to Florida?...
Don't know about the East, but out here they have a network of so-called "super-charging" stations along major freeways. There's one at the Burger King in nearby Holbrook on I-40. It's pretty low key- unless you were looking for it you might not even realize it's there. Supposedly you can drive from NY to LA.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:06 PM   #22

Name: Tom
Trailer: Shopping
CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Escape puts the lie to your "drawback" comment. Escape had over a one year back-order time frame. Their solution was not to retrench but to invest in expansion and continue their very flexible build options. So far it's being very successful.

Walt
Gosh Walt, you caught me in a big 'ole lie buddy. I am so ashamed!
Let's see, on the list of innovators we have Escape.
On the list of non-innovators I think we have (Walt will correct me) :
Bigfoot,
Casita,
Egg Camper,
Lil Snoozy,
Lil Joe,
Oliver,
Parkliner,
Scamp,
Trillium,
Armadillo,
Happier,
Pelsue,
______
Burro,
Boler,
U-Haul,
Casita,
Scamp,
Compact (Hunter)
Amerigo,
Avion,
Beachcomber,
BIOD,
Cadet,
Captain,
Play Pac,
Ventura,
Oxygen,
Miti-Lite,
Love Bug,
Havasu,
Cloud,
Trail-Mite,
Surf-Side,
Perris Pacer
Biggar,
Companion,
Dolphin,
ECO,
EGG,
Fiber stream,
Geographic,
Gypsy,
Lander,
Liberty,
Lite House,
Minit,
MKP Grandesse,
Northern Lite,
Play-Mor,
PlayPac,
Quantum5,
Sun-Trek,
Tote n Tarry,
Campster,
Trailorboat,
UNIK,
Ventura,
Willerby,
Aalite,
Old 02-26-2017, 04:38 PM   #23

Arizona
Registry
Have to agree with your tongue-in-cheek comparison, Tom. Escape is very successful, but there's nothing particularly innovative about their design or methods. Time-tested approaches executed well seems to describe Escape's success. That and a favorable exchange rate.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #24

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Time-tested approaches executed well seems to describe Escape's success.
As an Escape owner, I can tell you this isn't it. It's ALL about customer service and customer desires. You WANT different upholstery... you can have it. (Mine came from Hawaii). You WANT a different color Formica? You can have it. Flooring? Hey... there's the standard, but you like something else? We can do that. How about electrical stuff? Extra 12V plugs, 110 over "there". That's doable... Even the decals on the outside colors are left up to the new owner to decide. Mine are black... like a "little black dress."

We've seen "new" manufacturers to the all-molded world. But it's Escape that says... hummm, maybe... okay... let's see if this is doable. Others give you a choice. Take it or leave it.

Is my Escape perfect? Of course not. I didn't get a cabana boy! And there's no self-cleaning/waxing exterior. But I know without a doubt, my trailer was built for ME and there's not another one like it.

Love the one you're with.. make memories!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:11 PM   #25

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Well said Donna, plus the build quantity is much better hence the price.

I think they took the page from Bigfoot.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:23 PM   #26

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
Well said Donna, plus the build quantity is much better hence the price.

I think they took the page from Bigfoot.
Truth. Everything comes at a price point. I had to buy my upholstery and pay shipping from Hawaii. Plus it cost me $100 extra. So what? I'd rather have what I want.. rather than a choice of two colors/types. The same for just about every change from "standard." Everything comes with a cost. But mine is mine is mine. I couldn't be happier. Plan, budget and make your choices (no matter the brand). Make memories
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:11 PM   #27

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
...It's ALL about customer service and customer desires. You WANT different upholstery... you can have it....You WANT a different color Formica? You can have it. Flooring? Hey... there's the standard, but you like something else? We can do that. How about electrical stuff? Extra 12V plugs, 110 over "there". That's doable... Even the decals on the outside colors are left up to the new owner to decide.

We've seen "new" manufacturers to the all-molded world. But it's Escape that says... hummm, maybe... okay... let's see if this is doable. Others give you a choice. Take it or leave it.
You are correct on all counts that Escape will go above and beyond. But they are not the ONLY manufacturer that does that. Oliver has never built two trailers exactly alike due to all of the above (except they offer many colors of molded fiber-granite instead of Formica.)
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:05 AM   #28

Arizona
Registry
Any place for a new manufacturer in the industry ?

Returning to the original question... which was about whether there is room for a new all-molded fiberglass manufacturer...

One thing all of the newer start-ups have in common is they target the middle and higher end of their respective segments.

Looking at the Happier Camper website this morning, I see the "Essential" configuration, which is closest (functionally) to a stripped Scamp 13S (minus a propane stove), sells for $23K. The Scamp- with a stove- sells for $10K. An unfinished Relic shell starts at $16K, about the same as a finished Scamp 13 deluxe. Understand, I'm not knocking either trailer- they offer much that Scamp doesn't, both in terms of design and finish. But they are unaffordable for a lot of people who would like to own an all-molded trailer.

In the mid-sized and larger segment, most Escapes approach or cross the $30K mark with options and customization. An Oliver approaches $60K. Parkliner appears to be headed the same direction with the latest redesign.

I'd love to see a new player target the entry-level market. There are those that don't need custom upholstery or fiber granite counters. (Again, I'm not knocking either of those things for those who want them and can afford them.) But what some need is a simple, durable alternative to a budget sticky or tent trailer, something that can be towed by a vehicle with a 3500 pound tow rating, something that offers family-friendly layouts as well as set-ups for couples.

To accomplish that and challenge Scamp, they'd really have to focus on the manufacturing process, keeping costs down without sacrificing the benefits of an all-molded shell. Scamp has the advantage of having long amortized its start-up expenses. Is it possible? I don't know, but I'd like to think so.