Any recommendations under 1500 LB with a shower & toilet? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Oh no! Here we go again. Tow limits.

My OPINION is
Here's the solution. Stop posting on the subject.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Devils Advocate Here!
So, European towing standards ARE NOT based on engine size, driveline limitations, brakes, carrying capacity etc., just total weight???

I think, to a degree, that towing limits are also controlled by the fact that high MPG requirements put vehicles closer to maximum capabilities, thus reducing towing capacity, as is evidenced by the huge hits that towing puts on high MPG vehicles.

Add to that, most American built RV trailers are simply no longer in the size and weight category that they can be towed by the average American or European compact to midsized vehicle, and car makers sure aren't going to build a right sized vehicle for us, the 1%er's of the RV market.

But Wait..... What about that midsize pick-up that GM just reintroduced?????

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:34 PM   #23

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Bryan, are you suggesting that Honda's European engineers calculate structural limits differently than Honda's North American engineers? The cars are structurally the same yet the European rating is twice the North American rating.
Not suggesting anything. Tow over limits at your own risk. To each his own.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:58 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Glasshouse, perhaps one of these would work for you: Little Joe Lightweight Trailer - Compact Camper Trailer for 2 by Weiscraft Trailers
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:27 PM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I appreciate your opinion Dave and agree in some ways. But, structural limits are determined by engineers after extensive testing. It isn't 'just' about lawyers and liability. The company may "pad" the numbers for a safety margin, but generally, manufacturers limits shouldn't be exceeded if you want a safe and pleasant towing experience. As an engineer, I'm going to have to disagree that the limits are there only to protect the manufacturer. They are also there to protect YOU.
I think a few folks are reading things into what I said. All things have limits for safe use and I agree with you that testing was done to get those numbers. I'm sure we can all agree that the numbers decided upon for a safe working limit are well below a breaking point for the safety of the end user and manufacturer. I said nothing about padding or limits being only for the maker. No manufacturer would set a limit even close to a failure number, that's just moral and common sense. Every time anyone of us tows we end up spiking over the set weight limits of various components just from road conditions. Think of it like pushing a loaded wheelbarrow through a sharp dip (chuck hole) and how much the weight load changes for that split second. If it wasn't for the factored in safety rating over the stated load limit we'd all be in trouble. The sky isn't falling, really it isn't.
Not saying it's OK to go overboard, just use some common sense.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:30 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think then the issue will be if you go over the limit and then hit that same sharp dip, the forces will be even greater than they would have been, had you followed guidelines.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:44 AM   #27
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Back on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

Add to that, most American built RV trailers are simply no longer in the size and weight category that they can be towed by the average American or European compact to midsized vehicle, and car makers sure aren't going to build a right sized vehicle for us, the 1%er's of the RV market.
But almost every day we see articles where modern cars are set up, and towing good sized, American built RV trailers. Not only articles but we see them traveling on the roads. From the decades of following this trend we are seeing the success story. I speak from experience. Our pro setup midsize car is a very good example/TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshouse View Post

I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla

Would really appreciate any recommendations on a used model that could work for me?

Thank you! Be easy on me Just a newb here.
Back on track...... George, your thoughts of towing a glass egg with your 3,500lb Corolla seems fair and reasonable, assuming it is connected correctly. Take your cue from Borden's rig. I believe it is a pro setup.*

*Always stay within the safe capabilities of your vehicle/set up/combination.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco