Any Scamp 19 owners here? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2015, 06:07 PM   #21

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
We have owned and used a 1999 standard 19' Scamp since 2004 and until last week, pulled it many thousands of miles with a 2003 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab. The 194 horsepower produced by the 3.4 L V6 was adequate but not exciting. Last week, I replaced the Taco with a 2014 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab. I am redesigning the hitch so I can more easily get it out of the way for using the truck for other hauling duties.
Dennis mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #22

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Dennis, I have been towing my 2004 Scamp 19D with a 2013 Tacoma. I think they increased the size of the engine sometime between 2004 and 2013, to 4.0. It seems to have plenty of umph, I am quite happy with it. The few times I needed to accelerate to merge, I just put my foot down and it responded as expected. I am sure the Frontier will work well. When I was looking, I was comparing those two.

Maybe a year and a half ago I posted a detailed description how I installed the "new" Scamp hitch kit that I bought from Eveland's (~ $600). The Taco bed is made of SMC (Sheet Molding Compound) and the dimensions worked out so that I was able to use two of the bed mounting points directly, two more by means of a flat steel bracket. What you are trying to do is similar, so here is the link:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post436185

That "new" hitch is removable, only the Reese rails stay behind when not towing.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:19 AM   #23

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Dennis, I have been towing my 2004 Scamp 19D with a 2013 Tacoma. I think they increased the size of the engine sometime between 2004 and 2013, to 4.0. It seems to have plenty of umph, I am quite happy with it. The few times I needed to accelerate to merge, I just put my foot down and it responded as expected. I am sure the Frontier will work well. When I was looking, I was comparing those two.

Maybe a year and a half ago I posted a detailed description how I installed the "new" Scamp hitch kit that I bought from Eveland's (~ $600). The Taco bed is made of SMC (Sheet Molding Compound) and the dimensions worked out so that I was able to use two of the bed mounting points directly, two more by means of a flat steel bracket. What you are trying to do is similar, so here is the link:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post436185

That "new" hitch is removable, only the Reese rails stay behind when not towing.
Toyota went from a 3.4 L V6 to a 4 L in 2005. Nissan increased their engine size at about the same time.

I am planning to make a rail system which will be permanently mounted to the bed floor using the bed mounting bolts. Then, I will modify my existing hitch to fit and be pinned to the rails. I used to work as an engineer, and my son is a weldor, so it gives us a bit of male bonding time.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #24

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
That sounds like a perfect plan. I am a retired ME myself, and I had fun designing and building my setup.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:01 AM   #25

Minnesota
I found that Scamp now had a new design when I was last looking for a few repair items for our trailer. That triggered the idea for a design change.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:15 AM   #26

Trailer: 2010 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We towed our 2010 deluxe Scamp 19 over 50,000 mi with a Nissan Frontier. We now have a 2015 , identical, except Scamp has upgraded the hitch & awning. both are great improvements. we are 66 & 78, & have no trouble getting in & out of bed. the person with the weakest bladder sleeps on the outside, since the "climb over" is challenging. Since we both get a little shorter every year, the bed seems to get bigger. We use the original Scamp cushions + a queen size mattress pad from Ikea with the foam trimmed to fit the curve. we really like the separation of the living/dining & sleeping areas, had Scamp install a cable TV outlet & power point in the loft so we have 2 TV sets. Luxury!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Ellen B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp