Any Scamp 19 owners here? - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #1

Name: Nick
Trailer: In the market
Washington, D.C.
Any Scamp 19 owners here?

How do you like your 19 ft 5er?

We have two adults, two kids family, so we are looking into this one.

Is the loft bed comfortable to get in and out of?

Old 03-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #2

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
We really like our 19. We have no problem getting in and out. We actually purchased a full size mattress and turned it long ways but we have to leave the top bunk up. I didn't like my feet touching the curtains. But I'm weard that way. Lol

Old 03-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #3

Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
We really like our 19. We have no problem getting in and out. We actually purchased a full size mattress and turned it long ways but we have to leave the top bunk up. I didn't like my feet touching the curtains. But I'm weard that way. Lol
So you have the bunk bed model...?
Old 03-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #4

Yes the two front bunks with bed up top. And table makes a bed also. So you could sleep two adults up top two kids on the bunks and two on the table area.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #5

Washington, D.C.
I see, thanks. And you have a corner shower/toilet?
Old 03-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #6

Combo shower and toilet beside bunks. When you walk in its straight ahead. Welcome to the forum also.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #7

Name: Becky
Trailer: Scamp 19 Foot 5th Wheel
Mississippi
We have the same arrangement as Ted. We also bought a full size mattress and keep the bunks in position. We sleep with our heads up front and when we don't keep the bunk up, our feet hang off. We have no problem climbing up there.

The reason we bought the mattress is that we had previously taken a 3 month road trip and we just found that the "bed" cushion pads that came with the Scamp did not give enough support.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:33 PM   #8

Name: Larry and Pat
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
We bought a new Scamp 19 fall of 2013, spent 104 nights in it and have pulled it over 30,000 miles. It is schematic A on their web site, deluxe version. We added the larger refrigerator and most other options, including two water tanks and two exhaust fans. The most irritating thing for me is that I am 5'9" and my feet and head are within a half inch or so of the window frame and one or the other is always bumping, which is really annoying when camping in cold weather. The trailer is several hundred lbs heavier than we were led to believe. I scaled it last week coming back from Florida and the trailer Axe had 2800lbs on it, the truck bed about 450 including hitch. All tanks were empty, with the normal gear for two adults. Be sure to watch out for the gross combined vehicle weight capability of your tow vehicle, you do not want to exceede that. Feel free to ask me anything u want, but I am away from home and will not be on the blog again until Monday.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I find the comments about sleeping sideways being tight up top in a 19' very interesting. I am around 5' 9" tall myself and find the back dinette bed in my 16' to be comfortable, although I will admit there is not much room to spare.

I wonder if lpdolan's comment about weight might be more a factor of the Deluxe version? Just something to think about when choosing a model, although the Deluxe Scamps are pretty nice.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:32 PM   #10

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Scamp 5th Wheel
Pensacola Florida
I am 6ft 1 and I sometimes find myself bumping into the window with my feet or head. What I have started doing is sleeping on a slight angle. The bed is plenty wide enough for my wife and myself to not crowd each other.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:18 PM   #11

Wisconsin
Registry
Actually we started with a 16 and then moved to the 19 because we wanted the additional space and did not want to be taking a table up and down all the time for sleeping etc. The sixteen dinette and the 19' dinette do sleep better. It is a function of the location of the windows, as relating to sleep position. Sleeping at an angle does help in the upper bed, so does sleeping in a fetal position...but I found it to be annoying after sleeping comfortably on the 16' dinette bed and not expecting any difference between the two beds.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:25 PM   #12

Wisconsin
Registry
We started with a 16' deluxe that we bought from a couple that had bought ordered it new, the husband had a medical problem before they were able to use it, and the trailer sat for four years never used, a sad situation but a lesson for all of us. When we bought the 19' deluxe we were told it was going to be 200-300 lbs more than the 16 foot deluxe....didn't turn out to be true.....
Old 04-01-2015, 03:24 AM   #13

Name: Brian
Trailer: Looking
Louisiana
Sorry for the Hijack

I have been lurking around this site for a while and I too am looking at the Scamp 19 and wonder how everyone likes theirs. I can't seem to find anyone in the Louisiana (Southern) area with one to look at first hand.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:25 AM   #14

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
I have a 19 5th Deluxe and we like it very much. The loft has steps to climb up to it and the bathroom separates the space. Think of privacy - the kids can sleep in the sitting area, unless they want a tent!

If you already have, or are buying a truck, remember that the 5th tows better than a regular trailer. You do not need any sway bars or WDH. Some of the choices in smaller pick ups are Tacoma, Frontier, and again after a two year break, Colorado or Canyon. I have the Tacoma with 4.0 liter V6 and tow package. Plenty of horsepower margin.

Tags
scamp