Any Tips For Taking A Cat Along? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Well, we took our cat on her first camping trip with us and everything went well. It was just an overnight trial, but she seemed to adapt very well. We left her uncaged in our truck for the hour trip and she simply slept in my wife's lap or on the floor. She only meowed a couple of times when we were on a particularly rough section of highway. Once at the campground she was content to stay in the camper. The one time we put a harness and leash on her and took her outside, she soon decided that she preferred the camper and wanted to go back inside, she never showed any interest in leaving after that. I think that the Labrador retriever at the next campsite might have made her content to stay inside. She spent most of her time just looking out the window at the old lab. We are now convinced that she will join us on our future trips.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #22

Trailer: Casita
I've taken my cats camping, but it was in a tent. It was pretty crazy, I was between places and just decided to camp for a few days, so the cats (all 5) came along. I had large metal crates for them, 2 to a crate, and they liked riding in those. They could see out but weren't a problem for me driving. I have a large SUV. I set the crates outside with large towels over the tops for shade and they watched me set up the tent, they were fascinated by the whole thing, especially watching the ravens in the sky above us and looking out at the rocks.

After I got the large tent set up, I put them all in it. It was big enough for a litter box way over there, not close to me at all. They seemed pretty stoked, and since the tent had a floor I didn't worry they could get out. Keep in mind I was way out in the middle of nowhere near Canyonlands National park. Nary a soul for miles and miles, as it wasn't tourist season yet. No way was I going to lose a cat out there, so I was extremely careful.

During the night they all crawled in bed with me, so it must've got chilly, even though they each had little down blankets of their own. At dawn one started scratching at the tent side to see if she could escape, but no way.

It wasn't something I'd really want to do again, but if my cats can tent camp, I think a trailer would be simple. I would personally microchip them so if they're lost someone might be able to ID them, plus collars and tags. I have one that's kind of precocious and she and I went for a short hike, she was on a leash, she loved it. The others hated the leash. They can also get out of about anything collar wise, as I'd experimented with them before going out. Test any collar at home first.

We survived. I've also taken the crew on trips to places like Montana, but that wasn't camping, we had a house destination. They meow a lot at first and then settle down.

And did I mention I also had four dogs with me?

Call me nuts...I'll agree. But it was an adventure.
Marjorie M. is offline   Reply With Quote