Anybody dealing with physical ailments delaying traveling or camping? PART 2 for 2016 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-04-2016, 12:24 PM   #1

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Anybody dealing with physical ailments delaying traveling or camping? PART 2 for 2016

The original of this thread is from 2011; it was very good and brought to mind by Lynn considering full-timing in a Little Guy after extensive surgeries...

What kinds of ailments, troubles, etc., are bothering you while you're trying to get out and get camping?

I'll kick it off to say between us we have multiple physical and other issues including diabetes, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, insomnia and depression.
Paul is an excellent traveler regardless.
I'm pretty much uncomfortable and somewhat sad no matter where or what, so I might as well be camping as staying home!

some shots of our rig, both in our driveway and at the Mt. Baker/Snoqualmie National Forest on July 4th, 2016.
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 8 2016 D.jpg   Peanut 8 2016 E.jpg  

Peanut 8 2016 A.jpg  
Old 08-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #2

Name: Edie
Trailer: Checking out "eggs"
Massachusetts
Nice looking rig! Fibro here, too. And fatigue! But I want to learn how to use my rig and move on with life during my retirement. So thanks for sharing that you do!
Edie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #3

Registry
Good for you!

We just went to our first Gathering, drove over 1000 miles, and are planning our next outing...we do need some home time between trips, and aren't sure we'll ever take really long tours (more than a week or so), but we'll build up to it, maybe.

Lots of accommodating to do for both of us. Paul's willing to work himself half to death but sooner o later it catches up to him. Pacing oneself seems to be something we need to work at.

Hope you find just the right rig for you!
Old 08-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Have a friend who was injured in a car accident a little over a year ago, paralyzed from the chest down, and from now on will be in an electric wheelchair.

He was just about to retire, and wanted to buy a small camper (just himself).

Now he is still interested in buying a camper, and still wants something small if possible. I've pointed out the Lil Snoozy and the Happier Campier HC1 as possibilities that could be customized to handle his wheelchair.

Here's hoping that he gets to follow his dream.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #5

Registry
Yes, I think the Lil Snoozy is already designed to accommodate wheel chairs...good advice you gave him.

My wishes as well for him to be able to follow his dream. He may find a lift-equipped camping van would work out well, too. No hitching up. If such things exist and aren't out of reach for price.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:04 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Back and some osteoarthritis. Mattress or sleep situation requirements, and needing good chairs are the primary impacts. That and repairs, mods, and packing are not nearly as easy as they once were.

Been lucky knock on wood, wife had some medical crisis over the years but came through them in pretty good shape. I had a couple of issues but don't have a huge day to day impact. Do remind one that ones time is finite. Or as I like to say laying in an ER ones heart stops you don't spend a single second wishing you had spent more energy and time on a work project. Hoping spouse did not get stuck having to pay to have those camper repairs finished might have crossed ones mind.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:47 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
[QUOTE=Kai in Seattle;601855]The original of this thread is from 2011; it was very good and brought to mind by Lynn considering full-timing in a Little Guy after extensive surgeries...

What kinds of ailments, troubles, etc., are bothering you while you're trying to get out and get camping?

================================================== =======

Like most of us, I'm a bit less mobile than when this thread started in 2011. Five years can make a lot of changes. But I won't harp on any of my problems because they don't amount to a hill of beans compared to some people.
But I did have a small roadblock as Julie and I were getting ready to leave for this year's Oregon Gathering.. My dermatologist phoned and said a sample he sent in was skin cancer so I would need to come in right away to have it removed. So on our day to leave for Oregon we drove two hr south to Fresno, had the spot removed and 6 stitches 'installed " . Then headed north for the Oregon Gathering with stitches under a big bandage. But my cap covered much of it and the pain wasn't too bad so we had a good time at The Gathering and headed up the coast to Astoria.
I don't know if many people noticed the bandage, but I wasn't going to miss time at the Oregon Gathering or camping on the coast with our Scamp 13'. After a week on the road we stopped at a Walk In Clinic in a small town and had the stitches removed. It was a great vacation and besides the Oregon Gathering, we rode the Steam Railroad in Rockaway, saw whales up close to the shore in Depoe Bay, visited Lewis and Clark's Fort Clatsop, and saw the Tillamok Cheese Factory and the Tillamook Air Museum. Oh, and a 2 day car show with music in Grants Pass on the way home. I almost thought of not going at all, but it was worth the slight inconvenience and risk to travel while uncomfortable. I hope others can travel when they are able. Don't even wait until retirement to begin traveling. David in Sonora and Fresno
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:01 PM   #8

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Kai don't forget the Molded trailer show and shine this Sept. 10/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Good for you!

We just went to our first Gathering, drove over 1000 miles, and are planning our next outing...we do need some home time between trips, and aren't sure we'll ever take really long tours (more than a week or so), but we'll build up to it, maybe.

Lots of accommodating to do for both of us. Paul's willing to work himself half to death but sooner o later it catches up to him. Pacing oneself seems to be something we need to work at.

Hope you find just the right rig for you!
: at Linden, WA the local Studebaker Club is going to be there the same weekend and share space with them, So Judy and I hope to be there to.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: at Linden, WA the local Studebaker Club is going to be there the same weekend and share space with them, So Judy and I hope to be there to.
Stude

It's at Linden, WA on the 10th of September? What times?
Old 08-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #10

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Casita SD
Pensacola Florida
Like everyone else I know in my age group we all have problems. I like to think that no matter what I'm in pretty good shape I get up and stay busy all day. We always are looking forward to our next adventure . Just don't complain if you get the urge to just go to the hospital sit in the entrance and in just a few minutes you will realize you really have it good. As I like to say get up lets go you can rest when you are dead.
Herman M Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #11

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
I have been trying to decide if I should sell my trailer or not. Hurt my back shortly after I got it, got better, but three months later fell and it just keeps getting worse. Had steroid injections and it got better...I could then walk upright, but they didn't last but a few weeks. I am looking forward to next year when I can have another three injections! Maybe I should just plan ahead and schedule a trip for then!

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:13 AM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
As long as I can drive I can camp, that is my thought.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I have lots of physical limitations and it has been that way for the last 30 years. I have limitations on what I can do and many of those limitations come upon me when I was in my early 30s. It has certainly slowed me down and I have to get help now and again with certain tasks or use the principles of physics to make the task easier to do. I need some medications to keep the pains under control as well as having needed surgical help but it has not stopped me in my tracks

I would have to give up traveling solo if I could not longer drive due to needing medication that makes it unsafe to drive. But I have not gotten there except for limited periods of time now and again and I hope not to.

But dealing with pain and limits is different with every individual. I tolerate pain better than many do and that makes a lot of difference in how much one can do and how much medication is required. But I do have days when I just don't get much of anything accomplished and that is OK as everyone could use a day of rest once a week or even three or four days a week. I don't mind sitting around reading and relaxing and doing physically easy stuff to accomplish
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
I have been trying to decide if I should sell my trailer or not. Hurt my back shortly after I got it, got better, but three months later fell and it just keeps getting worse. Had steroid injections and it got better...I could then walk upright, but they didn't last but a few weeks. I am looking forward to next year when I can have another three injections! Maybe I should just plan ahead and schedule a trip for then!

Mon

That actually sounds like a really good idea!
My 2-cents worth, though: Just be super, super
careful not to have any incidents if you can,
and don't make it worse!
Old 08-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #15

Registry
Something that just hit me--our older pug girl has limitations, too.
She's slower, blinder, deafer, stiffer--and she has a little leakage problem
at night when she sleeps so soundly she doesn't wake herself up to "go."

So we have a small plastic pond liner under the back bed, with her very washable
bedding in it, and we got lucky and had made the beds JUST too tall for her
to get up on them. Otherwise we'd be shuffling her off them al night long, or having to lock her in a crate, which is OK normally but I hate to do it when it's hotter.
She snoops around looking for ways up, begs some, and eventually gives a little sigh and crawls into her "nest" and snuggles down...then we clean things up in the AM. (Paul takes her out whenever he can during the night, but sometimes we all sleep through that crucial moment)-- anyway, we solved it,
partly by thinking it through and partly by luck.

So far many of our own issues have been resolved the same ways--thought and luck. (And cash, and work, and lowering expectations...)

So many posting here are doing the same thing, working through things and keeping going as they can.

My applause to all, those who forge on, those who rest, those who plan, those who suffer...those who enjoy regardless, share their stories, and give us all inspiration. And you all do inspire me.

I'm less sad for reading what you've all shared.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #16

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
Stude
guess I had better get a hustle on my remodel so it is ready to pull and can be slept in by Sept 10. It of course won't be completed but at least it will be dry inside.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
guess I had better get a hustle on my remodel so it is ready to pull and can be slept in by Sept 10. It of course won't be completed but at least it will be dry inside.

I cannot find this event online. I don't know where it's being held or when. I found the chamber of commerce site, but it doesn't mention it.
We'd love to go.

Stude, can you help us out? k corbin--any ideas?
Old 08-07-2016, 06:37 PM   #18

Oregon
Quote:
I cannot find this event online. I don't know where it's being held or when. I found the chamber of commerce site, but it doesn't mention it.
We'd love to go.

https://tincantourists.com/blog/even...trailer-rally/

The host of the event's facebook page...
https://www.facebook.com/events/166304277046929/

The location it is being held at
http://nwwafair.com/

The name of the event is "Mt Baker Vintage Trailer Rally 2016"
Old 08-07-2016, 06:38 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
We'd love to go.

Is this part of the thread referring to the Mt Baker Vintage Trailer Rally? I king of came into the middle of the conversation.

If so, their FB shows it as Sept 6 at the Northwest Washington Fair and Event Center.

I was looking for it a few days ago, thinking about taking our newly aquired 1970 Trails West Campster up. Thanks to you, I was able to locate the page.

1970 Trails West Campster
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:40 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
1970 Trails West Campster
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote