Anybody else go without AC? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-12-2016, 09:26 PM   #15
Name: Ray
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 13
We were trying to keep the Scamp13 weight low enough to stay under the 1500 pound
towing weight of our Honda CRV. We omitted both the AC and the furnace. We do have both
a Fantastic fan and a very good small electric space heater.

For extended stays in areas of high heat and humidity, we can temporarily mount a small
home window AC unit in the back window of the Scamp. For emergency heat in a site without
electric hookups, we have very warm sleeping bags and can carry a Mr. Heater Little Buddy
propane heater.

According to a friend who has the top-mounted Scamp AC unit, that 13,000 BTU unit would freeze out an Eskimo. 😉

With the crank-out Windows and the Fantastic Fan, we found that it was much better to not
open the curtains or use any sort of curtain tie-backs. With the Fantastic Fan set in the "out"
mode (to exhaust warm air out of the top), air is pulled in the crank- out windows and is directed down over our faces by the closed curtains. In hotter situations, we sleep on top of the covers, set the Fantastic Fan on "in" to blow air down over us, and use a second fan on the sink cabinet
to blow additional air over the bed.

So far, we've not missed having a permanently-mounted AC or furnace.

Of course,as always, YMMV. 😉

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

rdickens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:45 PM   #16
Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
We don't have air in the Scamp, and have really only felt the need for it one night in 12 years. We have it in our house, but rarely use it. In the house, I installed a fan in the ceiling that pulls air in through open windows and exhausts air into the attic. It cools the house in the evening quite well!

1999 Scamp Fifth Wheel, pulled by a 2014 Nissan Frontier Pro4-X
Dennis mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:56 PM   #17
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Putting sliders in the front and back of your Scamp is going to require fiberglass work. Operable windows need a flat mounting surface, which the front and back are not. Fantastic fans might be an easier and more effective way to increase ventilation for sleeping. Since they're powered, you'll have a breeze even when the air is still.

We don't need AC out here in the arid West, but in the humid East it's different. I grew up in Maryland camping in a tent trailer without AC and we survived, but a Scamp will never be as wide open to breezes as a tent trailer.

You can always give it a try. If it doesn't work, then reinstall AC. With your experience of how NOT to do it, I'm sure you'll do a better job than before.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:16 AM   #18
Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
I do not have A/C in my home or in my Scamp. In the trailer, I find that the fantastic fan and the awning windows left open do plenty to give me a great night's sleep. That coupled with lake breezes, and I'm out. I do realize that being from NY, others living out west or down south might not feel the same. I don't have it in the house either. Frankly, I just don't like the way I feel (stuffy nose, congestion, possible sinus infection) with extended A/C exposure. I don't mind it for short in the relief of walking into a department store on a hot day to the coolness inside. The PO had my Scamp prepped for A/C, but I know I'll never install. Just nice to know the roof has the extra support for snow load up here in Western New York, in case I ever have to store my Scamp at the house again during winter.
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:29 AM   #19
Name: Tab
Trailer: ParkLiner
Not having AC in Tennessee is like not having indoor plumbing. I would never consider not having AC.
Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #20
Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
But then some of us have lived for times without indoor plumbing and actually, on some levels, really enjoyed it!

I agree with you, but I also try to keep in perspective just how comfortable we are these days, leading to a very, very high expectation of comfort.

Don't get me wrong, though, I have my vices and my "I won't do withouts".
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:58 AM   #21
Name: Alan
Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
I ve had a scamp & perris pacer neither had ac.... Both had a roof vent w/ fan built into them
With a side window or two opened and roof fan running we never needed ac .... And we live and camp in southern calif

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:47 AM   #22
Name: Bobby
Trailer: Casita f/d
It is not the hot weather that is a concern for me.I would much rather leave the windows open and let the breeze roll through.
The problem is sometimes the camper beside me leaves a nice smoky, smouldering fire going all night and I don't like waking up smelling like bacon!!
It is also an asthma problem.
Can't wait until there is no campfire allowed areas in campgrounds then I can do without a/c.

TV- 2010 Silverado 1500
Casita f/d
1987 Boler Voyageur
Bobby Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #23
Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
But then we don't have campers so that we'll suffer...we have them to be comfortable. But everyone has a different idea of how comfortable they want to be.
In the Deep South comfort to me is A/C and a soft bed. I have "roughed it" my share in this life and intend not to if I can avoid it.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:35 AM   #24
Name: Henry
Trailer: Intend to buy one day.
"So...a lot just depends on what you're willing to put up with. I mean people survived all this time, up until very recently, without AC."

True observation! Does anyone remember the speech by President Nixon around 1972 where he made reference to how air conditioning had just in recently become "a necessity"? He was born and grew up in a time where air conditioning was limited to only big buildings and the rich. Now? Well.... :--)
Henry Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:49 AM   #25
Name: Steven
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
I can barely stand the heat of a Minnesota / Wisconsin Summer.
I have the deepest admiration for people who can live through the summer heat of Florida ,Texas , Missouri or Iowa ( ETC. )
When nightime temps are in the 70's or above ,a fan just doesn't do it for me.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:52 AM   #26
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
As others have said, it depends on when & where you camp, and your tolerance for heat & humidity. I have one in my Escape, and it probably has fewer that 40 running hours on it over the last 5 years. Still, the few times I've used it I would have been miserable with the combination of over 100F & high humidity. Without the humidity, I'm comfortable using the MaxxFan even in high temperatures, but the combination is a killer!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:03 AM   #27
Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
In the Deep South comfort to me is A/C and a soft bed. I have "roughed it" my share in this life and intend not to if I can avoid it.
Yep. I like to think of myself as pretty tough and pretty willing to put up with any kind of weather. But my guess is that I wouldn't last long in your climate without AC.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #28
Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 'Earlton' Boler - GMC Terrain
Missus and I, have been RV camping, every summer, since about 1966, through a range of nine different RVs, in every province (including NFLD), and almost all continental states (including Alaska, Florida, California, Washington, and Maine). As a result, our kids were exposed to most 'geographies' of N. America, as they grew up. Four of those nine rigs had AC; but, we've never 'used' AC for any camping. Our current 'rig' is the smallest; but, not the 'oldest'; and, the 'missus' and I still don't feel the need for 'camping' with AC. - - YMMV - and, ours might too !

bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote