Anybody have dream Muscle Towing? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2017, 01:33 PM   #1

Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Anybody have dream Muscle Towing?

Anybody ever taken a old muscle car and threw their travel trailer on the back and said to hell with it and took off. Getting horrible gas mileage while sniffing the fumes out of the old engine the factory put in so many years ago? Listening to the drone of and rumble through out the car through a set of loud pipes?

This is my dream I bought a 71 Chevelle Heavy Chevy a couple of years ago and have dreamed about get it finished up have a receiver made for it to bolt in the frame no welds put in a brake controller and wire up the pig tail for the lights . Its a matching number car with a factory Fours speed. I want to restore my Big Foot trailer and put it on the back and head to the Oregon Coast. I want to do this with every inch of my soul. But I cant.

My only stop is I have to take care of my mom she has dementia and I cant leave so every thing sits and rust including me. And my brothers wont help me. I have had three days off in seven years and that's it.
Has anybody done this in their life time I dream about this every day but reality sits in and knocks right on my a ## ! My fear is I will kick the bucket and never get to live my dream I just want three weeks off that is all I want. But that is just not going to happen I have no help and no hope.

Here is a partial picture of the car when I was coming back from Utah where I bought it. I Kept having truck problems

So the question to everybody out in RV land you ever done something like this,. I have no clue what it would be like I so want to leave but I cant . I have some many hopes and dreams ! This is one rough road to travel
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1121.jpg  
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:38 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I can kinda relate to this, as I have two vehicles waiting restoration, an early Ford Bronco and a '64 Fairlane. Nobody I have to care for, but like every project they both need a pile of money shoveled at them. Being I'm retired and 70 years old I'll probably never complete these projects but I'm too stupid to give up. I would like to use them to tow our vintage teardrop or '84 Uhaul camper. For now I can use my '76 pickup, but when traveling any distance I like the comfort of my 2012 Ram truck. Don't give up your dream.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #3

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Why not get your car and trailer ready to go and see what you can work out then? Probably you have some arrangement to look after your mom while you are at work, so it's not impossible. Good luck and more car pics!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Why not get your car and trailer ready to go and see what you can work out then? Probably you have some arrangement to look after your mom while you are at work, so it's not impossible. Good luck and more car pics!
Ditto! Shelby.
Roger;
The getting ready can be almost as exciting as the going!
I wish I could share your post with your brothers.
Talk to your local Hospice service, You never know, I think some have provisions for just what you need... which could be a temporary break or a breather.

One thing which caregivers often forget is that they can be of no use to others unless they take care of themselves too!

BTW; After many car projects over the years I have one which has been half finished for many years. Every year it becomes less likely to be finished as my capabilities wane. I need to complete it or liberate the shop space and soon, thanks for the reminder.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Been there, done that,, still doin it!
We've owned the car for 43 years,
the trailer 14
Attached Thumbnails
IMG1586.jpg   IMG1595.jpg  

IMG1851.jpg   IMG1940.jpg  

20140210_195825_zpscjt7frli.jpg   Picture 077.jpg  

IMG2647.jpg  
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:12 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I knew you'd be answering this one Fred . BTW, that's one NICE looking engine compartment
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:28 PM   #7

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Roger, please dont give up on that dream!!! I feel for you as my wife and I are similar situation. Her parents 92/89, and my parents 78 and 77. Well ALL our siblings have moved away (some recently) and have no plans to help. Its on us. But we will do it because its our parents. We too want to hit the road for LONG periods of time "if we can" someday.

But I fully agree with what others said - get ready to go!!! Then try to work out a plan for assistance with your mom and GO!!! I think she would want you to fulfill your dream also!!

p.s. - I have a 1967 Cougar that half finished too.....lol.
Attached Thumbnails
c2.jpeg   c3.jpeg  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:50 PM   #8

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I can kinda relate to this, as I have two vehicles waiting restoration, an early Ford Bronco and a '64 Fairlane. Nobody I have to care for, but like every project they both need a pile of money shoveled at them. Being I'm retired and 70 years old I'll probably never complete these projects but I'm too stupid to give up. I would like to use them to tow our vintage teardrop or '84 Uhaul camper. For now I can use my '76 pickup, but when traveling any distance I like the comfort of my 2012 Ram truck. Don't give up your dream.
Thank you for your words of encouragement I wish I was around I used to be a Ford tech and would love to come over and help you get one of your Fords going so you could enjoy at least one of them.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:00 PM   #9

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I live in a small rat hole s$$t town . I have tried for over seven years to hire somebody to look after her and its always the same thing I get somebody lined up and they lie and flake out. I checked on putting her into assisted living and the lady came out to do a intake and got nasty with me and never called back or return calls check on the other place $280 per day it would cost me almost 2100 per week just for respect care. I had my brother call in Salt lake I would have to make a special 500 mile round trip to see if they would even take her then drive back and wait for their decision if they would take her or not then if they did it would cost me close to four grand with my expenses getting every thing ready and trip I figured even on a shoe string it was going to be close to six thousand and that is fixing my truck and using the full size trailer. I could go to the UK cheaper for three weeks abroad believe me I have tried every thing and my brothers wont help with paying for anything.
All I have asked for is a break just a break . Thank you for the support I really do appreciate it.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #10

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Ditto! Shelby.
Roger;
The getting ready can be almost as exciting as the going!
I wish I could share your post with your brothers.
Talk to your local Hospice service, You never know, I think some have provisions for just what you need... which could be a temporary break or a breather.

One thing which caregivers often forget is that they can be of no use to others unless they take care of themselves too!

BTW; After many car projects over the years I have one which has been half finished for many years. Every year it becomes less likely to be finished as my capabilities wane. I need to complete it or liberate the shop space and soon, thanks for the reminder.
I wish I was there would love to come over and give you a hand with your cars. I have checked on hospice also here all they do is for terminally ill patience sorry spelled that wrong. If she was dying they would come in and check on here on certain times a day but respite care no way. There are no programs for respite care here unless you have very deep pockets which I do not. If you read the prior post you can see the hell I have been through just trying to get break. Thank you for the words of encouragement I can see why care givers have nervous breakdowns I am sure there has been a bunch that have been put into a physc ward and I am meaning that seriously there comes a time your mind and body just cant take it anymore.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:09 PM   #11

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
Roger, please dont give up on that dream!!! I feel for you as my wife and I are similar situation. Her parents 92/89, and my parents 78 and 77. Well ALL our siblings have moved away (some recently) and have no plans to help. Its on us. But we will do it because its our parents. We too want to hit the road for LONG periods of time "if we can" someday.

But I fully agree with what others said - get ready to go!!! Then try to work out a plan for assistance with your mom and GO!!! I think she would want you to fulfill your dream also!!

p.s. - I have a 1967 Cougar that half finished too.....lol.
Read my prior post holy cow I feel for you both four people to take care of and no help from family I totally feel you man alive . I love the cougar and the color love the grabber blue I wish I was there to help you I would love to work on that car and get it going we would be burning rubber in not time flat love the car! I cant imagine have to take care of four people thanks for the support ~
Old 03-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I knew you'd be answering this one Fred . BTW, that's one NICE looking engine compartment
Thanks Dave,
RV, I sat for years in my garage in the flat, gawd forsaken, frozen
middle of Canada in January dreaming of driving my Comet on all the
streets of SoCal made famous by the hotrod mags of the day.
It took me 40 years to make it happen, it will happen for you, maybe not at the time you want though.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:13 PM   #13

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Been there, done that,, still doin it!
We've owned the car for 43 years,
the trailer 14
Thank you for posting the pictures of your beautiful car. That is so cool give me the hope that some day I can do this too. I just hope I am not taking a dirt nap when that day comes.

You are one lucky man I have no clue what this is like I am totally Jealous!
That would be so fun! Damn I wanna go!

Thanks for the support people you have put a smile on my face in these difficult times I cant thank you enough! Very much appreciated
Old 03-26-2017, 09:37 AM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Trillium/classic car combo

Click image for larger version

Name:	034.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	104309

This a pic of my '74 Trillium and my '62 Studebaker GT Hawk.
mudlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Old Stuff....??

I'm not sure what the problem is or if there really is one....
I regularly drive a 1977 GMC motorhome (made by GM from 1973 to 1978) between Nova Scotia and Las Cruces, New Mexico for snowbirding purposes.

The 455 Oldsmobile engine has almost 300,000 miles on it and it's 40 years old. If it breaks down in my driveway and I can't fix it, I get someone else to. If it breaks down on the road ...same story. I've had it over 20 years.
There is no need to wait until it is in 'showroom' condition. Does it matter if the seats are torn or it needs paint? No, the objective is to be on the road!

Just do it....!
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:39 AM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_mike View Post
I'm not sure what the problem is or if there really is one....
I regularly drive a 1977 GMC motorhome (made by GM from 1973 to 1978) between Nova Scotia and Las Cruces, New Mexico for snowbirding purposes.

The 455 Oldsmobile engine has almost 300,000 miles on it and it's 40 years old. If it breaks down in my driveway and I can't fix it, I get someone else to. If it breaks down on the road ...same story. I've had it over 20 years.
There is no need to wait until it is in 'showroom' condition. Does it matter if the seats are torn or it needs paint? No, the objective is to be on the road!

Just do it....!
Oops...sorry I didn't carefully read your posting.
If you get a minute during the day, do something on the car in prop for your road trip...or something to your traiiler...it will keep you in the mood and you know that eventually you will be free to travel...
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #17

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudlvr View Post
Attachment 104309

This a pic of my '74 Trillium and my '62 Studebaker GT Hawk.
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Does it have the Paxton on it? I love old Studes thanks for sharing!
Old 03-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #18

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_mike View Post
Oops...sorry I didn't carefully read your posting.
If you get a minute during the day, do something on the car in prop for your road trip...or something to your traiiler...it will keep you in the mood and you know that eventually you will be free to travel...
That is a good idea . I got the engine ready to drop in but I have been in a rut for so long It hard to crawl out. I still have to pull the trans and repaint the engine compartment and check the transmission.
It is really nice to find people out there that will give support of my dream. And its really cool that there are people with old cars that take them out and use them and have the same dream I do. Thank you for the positive support people it is much needed. It really does help. Thanks
Old 03-26-2017, 11:23 AM   #19

Name: jim & mary
Trailer: scamp 13 1999
Washington
Registry
go for it! Have been towing our 13 foot scamp behind either our 1947 ford or 1934 dodge. They both are street rods with modern drive train and suspension. What fun and people just don't believe what they see
jim ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:52 AM   #20

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim ellis View Post
go for it! Have been towing our 13 foot scamp behind either our 1947 ford or 1934 dodge. They both are street rods with modern drive train and suspension. What fun and people just don't believe what they see
Well like I said I cant do anything at all I have to take care of Mom 24/7 I cant even leave for a day trip or even leave for more than a couple of hours to go shopping. I am pretty much stuck . I really do appreciate the positive replies people . There sure a great bunch of people on here I cant thank you enough. It is nice to see people have the same dream I do.