Anybody have dream Muscle Towing? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-25-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Posts: 118
Anybody have dream Muscle Towing?

Anybody ever taken a old muscle car and threw their travel trailer on the back and said to hell with it and took off. Getting horrible gas mileage while sniffing the fumes out of the old engine the factory put in so many years ago? Listening to the drone of and rumble through out the car through a set of loud pipes?

This is my dream I bought a 71 Chevelle Heavy Chevy a couple of years ago and have dreamed about get it finished up have a receiver made for it to bolt in the frame no welds put in a brake controller and wire up the pig tail for the lights . Its a matching number car with a factory Fours speed. I want to restore my Big Foot trailer and put it on the back and head to the Oregon Coast. I want to do this with every inch of my soul. But I cant.

My only stop is I have to take care of my mom she has dementia and I cant leave so every thing sits and rust including me. And my brothers wont help me. I have had three days off in seven years and that's it.
Has anybody done this in their life time I dream about this every day but reality sits in and knocks right on my a ## ! My fear is I will kick the bucket and never get to live my dream I just want three weeks off that is all I want. But that is just not going to happen I have no help and no hope.

Here is a partial picture of the car when I was coming back from Utah where I bought it. I Kept having truck problems

So the question to everybody out in RV land you ever done something like this,. I have no clue what it would be like I so want to leave but I cant . I have some many hopes and dreams ! This is one rough road to travel
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1121.jpg  
__________________

__________________
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:38 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Posts: 4,204
I can kinda relate to this, as I have two vehicles waiting restoration, an early Ford Bronco and a '64 Fairlane. Nobody I have to care for, but like every project they both need a pile of money shoveled at them. Being I'm retired and 70 years old I'll probably never complete these projects but I'm too stupid to give up. I would like to use them to tow our vintage teardrop or '84 Uhaul camper. For now I can use my '76 pickup, but when traveling any distance I like the comfort of my 2012 Ram truck. Don't give up your dream.
__________________

__________________
mary and bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Posts: 105
Why not get your car and trailer ready to go and see what you can work out then? Probably you have some arrangement to look after your mom while you are at work, so it's not impossible. Good luck and more car pics!
__________________
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 5,786
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Why not get your car and trailer ready to go and see what you can work out then? Probably you have some arrangement to look after your mom while you are at work, so it's not impossible. Good luck and more car pics!
Ditto! Shelby.
Roger;
The getting ready can be almost as exciting as the going!
I wish I could share your post with your brothers.
Talk to your local Hospice service, You never know, I think some have provisions for just what you need... which could be a temporary break or a breather.

One thing which caregivers often forget is that they can be of no use to others unless they take care of themselves too!



BTW; After many car projects over the years I have one which has been half finished for many years. Every year it becomes less likely to be finished as my capabilities wane. I need to complete it or liberate the shop space and soon, thanks for the reminder.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
FRED SMAILES's Avatar
 
Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Posts: 606
Registry
Been there, done that,, still doin it!
We've owned the car for 43 years,
the trailer 14
Attached Thumbnails
IMG1586.jpg   IMG1595.jpg  

IMG1851.jpg   IMG1940.jpg  

20140210_195825_zpscjt7frli.jpg   Picture 077.jpg  

IMG2647.jpg  
__________________
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:12 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Borrego Dave's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Posts: 2,746
I knew you'd be answering this one Fred . BTW, that's one NICE looking engine compartment
__________________
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:28 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
JWScarab's Avatar
 
Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Posts: 305
Roger, please dont give up on that dream!!! I feel for you as my wife and I are similar situation. Her parents 92/89, and my parents 78 and 77. Well ALL our siblings have moved away (some recently) and have no plans to help. Its on us. But we will do it because its our parents. We too want to hit the road for LONG periods of time "if we can" someday.

But I fully agree with what others said - get ready to go!!! Then try to work out a plan for assistance with your mom and GO!!! I think she would want you to fulfill your dream also!!

p.s. - I have a 1967 Cougar that half finished too.....lol.
Attached Thumbnails
c2.jpeg   c3.jpeg  

__________________
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
JWScarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:50 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I can kinda relate to this, as I have two vehicles waiting restoration, an early Ford Bronco and a '64 Fairlane. Nobody I have to care for, but like every project they both need a pile of money shoveled at them. Being I'm retired and 70 years old I'll probably never complete these projects but I'm too stupid to give up. I would like to use them to tow our vintage teardrop or '84 Uhaul camper. For now I can use my '76 pickup, but when traveling any distance I like the comfort of my 2012 Ram truck. Don't give up your dream.
Thank you for your words of encouragement I wish I was around I used to be a Ford tech and would love to come over and help you get one of your Fords going so you could enjoy at least one of them.
__________________
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:00 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Why not get your car and trailer ready to go and see what you can work out then? Probably you have some arrangement to look after your mom while you are at work, so it's not impossible. Good luck and more car pics!
I live in a small rat hole s$$t town . I have tried for over seven years to hire somebody to look after her and its always the same thing I get somebody lined up and they lie and flake out. I checked on putting her into assisted living and the lady came out to do a intake and got nasty with me and never called back or return calls check on the other place $280 per day it would cost me almost 2100 per week just for respect care. I had my brother call in Salt lake I would have to make a special 500 mile round trip to see if they would even take her then drive back and wait for their decision if they would take her or not then if they did it would cost me close to four grand with my expenses getting every thing ready and trip I figured even on a shoe string it was going to be close to six thousand and that is fixing my truck and using the full size trailer. I could go to the UK cheaper for three weeks abroad believe me I have tried every thing and my brothers wont help with paying for anything.
All I have asked for is a break just a break . Thank you for the support I really do appreciate it.
__________________
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Ditto! Shelby.
Roger;
The getting ready can be almost as exciting as the going!
I wish I could share your post with your brothers.
Talk to your local Hospice service, You never know, I think some have provisions for just what you need... which could be a temporary break or a breather.

One thing which caregivers often forget is that they can be of no use to others unless they take care of themselves too!



BTW; After many car projects over the years I have one which has been half finished for many years. Every year it becomes less likely to be finished as my capabilities wane. I need to complete it or liberate the shop space and soon, thanks for the reminder.
I wish I was there would love to come over and give you a hand with your cars. I have checked on hospice also here all they do is for terminally ill patience sorry spelled that wrong. If she was dying they would come in and check on here on certain times a day but respite care no way. There are no programs for respite care here unless you have very deep pockets which I do not. If you read the prior post you can see the hell I have been through just trying to get break. Thank you for the words of encouragement I can see why care givers have nervous breakdowns I am sure there has been a bunch that have been put into a physc ward and I am meaning that seriously there comes a time your mind and body just cant take it anymore.
__________________
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:09 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
Roger, please dont give up on that dream!!! I feel for you as my wife and I are similar situation. Her parents 92/89, and my parents 78 and 77. Well ALL our siblings have moved away (some recently) and have no plans to help. Its on us. But we will do it because its our parents. We too want to hit the road for LONG periods of time "if we can" someday.

But I fully agree with what others said - get ready to go!!! Then try to work out a plan for assistance with your mom and GO!!! I think she would want you to fulfill your dream also!!

p.s. - I have a 1967 Cougar that half finished too.....lol.
Read my prior post holy cow I feel for you both four people to take care of and no help from family I totally feel you man alive . I love the cougar and the color love the grabber blue I wish I was there to help you I would love to work on that car and get it going we would be burning rubber in not time flat love the car! I cant imagine have to take care of four people thanks for the support ~
__________________
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
FRED SMAILES's Avatar
 
Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Posts: 606
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I knew you'd be answering this one Fred . BTW, that's one NICE looking engine compartment
Thanks Dave,
RV, I sat for years in my garage in the flat, gawd forsaken, frozen
middle of Canada in January dreaming of driving my Comet on all the
streets of SoCal made famous by the hotrod mags of the day.
It took me 40 years to make it happen, it will happen for you, maybe not at the time you want though.
Fred
__________________
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:13 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Been there, done that,, still doin it!
We've owned the car for 43 years,
the trailer 14
Thank you for posting the pictures of your beautiful car. That is so cool give me the hope that some day I can do this too. I just hope I am not taking a dirt nap when that day comes.

You are one lucky man I have no clue what this is like I am totally Jealous!
That would be so fun! Damn I wanna go!

Thanks for the support people you have put a smile on my face in these difficult times I cant thank you enough! Very much appreciated
__________________
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:37 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Posts: 8
Trillium/classic car combo

Click image for larger version

Name:	034.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	104309

This a pic of my '74 Trillium and my '62 Studebaker GT Hawk.
__________________

__________________
mudlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I have a dream... Bster13 General Chat 50 11-11-2015 06:14 AM
Max Air 2 anybody have one? iplumb Modifications, Alterations and Updates 25 05-15-2013 06:26 AM
Alas I have found my Dream Tow Vehicle! Ed Harris General Chat 11 03-24-2010 06:06 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.