Anyone done underspraying and 12v heating pads underneath trailer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #1

Name: Aimee
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Anyone done underspraying and 12v heating pads underneath trailer?

We are considering adding the foam spray insulation and 12v heating pads to our new camper. Instead of putting the water inside the camper to protect it from freezing, apparently you can have insulation sprayed underneath with 12 volt heating pads attached to the tanks.

Has anyone done this? Does 750.00 seem like the amount to pay for this in the US?

Thanks!

Aimee L
aimeelightsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
That seems quite reasonable, heat pads alone can cost $1k installed by factory.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That seems quite reasonable, heat pads alone can cost $1k installed by factory.
Thanks for the reply...

Just wondering if putting the foam underneath makes it a lot harder to do repairs or whatnot.

--Aimee L.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeelightsey View Post
We are considering adding the foam spray insulation and 12v heating pads to our new camper. Instead of putting the water inside the camper to protect it from freezing, apparently you can have insulation sprayed underneath with 12 volt heating pads attached to the tanks.

Has anyone done this? Does 750.00 seem like the amount to pay for this in the US?

Thanks!

Aimee L
If you're planning on camping, that is not staying at an electric supplied RV park, you need to look carefully at the amount of current drawn by these heating pad. Typically anything that heats will run batteries down quite fast.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
If you're planning on camping, that is not staying at an electric supplied RV park, you need to look carefully at the amount of current drawn by these heating pad. Typically anything that heats will run batteries down quite fast.

Good point. I should ask how much energy these pads use...
Old 05-26-2011, 11:28 PM   #6

Name: Gord
Trailer: Escape 17b
British Columbia
Escape Trailers in Chilliwack, British Columbia is currently offering this package for about that price. The question remains "how much energy these pads use..."

Anybody have a clue?
Gord W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord W. View Post
Escape Trailers in Chilliwack, British Columbia is currently offering this package for about that price. The question remains "how much energy these pads use..."

Anybody have a clue?
Yes, I talked to Rease about it on the phone and he said it draws quite a bit -- too much to be just on batteries for very long. He says it has a shutoff switch that can stop it from running if you are not driving or are not plugged in to an outlet.

The pads are controlled by a thermostat and they come on automatically when the temperature falls too low, unless they are shut off completely.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #8

Name: Gord
Trailer: Escape 17b
British Columbia
So it sounds like the package is almost useless for winter camping!!! Most of the campgrounds with services are seasonal around here and winter just happens to be the "off-season".

I guess a person could drive in circles in a campground to prevent freeze-up, or...
...it would be good to prevent freezing as one red-eyed straight south to escape the cold weather.

Perhaps a better stationary, non-electrical solution to a warm underbelly is to skirt the trailer and run a small propane heater from the propane quick connect.

Optimal 4-season capability is perhaps the one option lacking in the otherwise perfect form and function of the Escape trailers, IMO.
Gord W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Registry
I have and will camp down to single digits as long as I have electric- to keep warm. My water is inside and I can flush with antifreeze. But I would never venture out in sub freezing without a minimal electric hookup. As long as you have electric then the heat pads are fine and will cause no issue. They are not for boon docking unless you have a large solar setup. Again, as long as you have electric you can camp in really cold weather. Without the tank heaters, even with electric your tanks would not allow any water use and you would be flushing with antifreeze non stop.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have and will camp down to single digits as long as I have electric- to keep warm. My water is inside and I can flush with antifreeze. But I would never venture out in sub freezing without a minimal electric hookup. As long as you have electric then the heat pads are fine and will cause no issue. They are not for boon docking unless you have a large solar setup. Again, as long as you have electric you can camp in really cold weather. Without the tank heaters, even with electric your tanks would not allow any water use and you would be flushing with antifreeze non stop.
Hi, Jim,
Good advice. Just wondering, would you put the foam insulation on underneath, too?

--A L
Old 05-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #11

Pennsylvania
Registry
yes, the foam would help make the trailer warmer and insulate it better