Anyone else go through this much hassle to get their trailer in the garage? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #21

Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Registry
8' garage door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Most standard garages I've seen have ceilings higher than 8'. They often lie in the same plane as the first floor of the house to which they are attached (which commonly has 8' ceilings), but the garage floor is at ground level, while the rest of the house is raised. How much raised depends on the type of foundation. It may or may not leave room for the requisite modifications to accommodate a taller door, but even if it does, changes to load-bearing walls never come cheaply.

I hear you about the cost of taller doors! I own a rental house with a wonderful oversized garage (10' ceilings, 24' deep, 8' door). The door is a 54 year old, manually operated, wood door. I'd like to replace it with a modern one, but the cost is prohibitive.
Jon,

I had a new 2" thick 16 foot wide 8 foot high insulated door with windows in the top panel and a new torsion shaft drive door operator installed for just at $1750.00. I found a small sole proprietor door guy who did it all including 3 remote door operators and the radio controlled light. I felt it was an awesome deal - - shop it hard you will find one reasonable - don't forget to check references.
The only problem I have is . . . too much stuff inside the garage to get anything else inside!

Marty
Marty Smiltneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:31 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
When I retired I built a carriage style garage to match a 1902 house. It was a present to me, after 33 years with no garage. Put 9 ft doors in so I could park a Casita inside.

Of course, a few years later I bought an Escape 21 which won't fit............

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #23

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2010 Casita SD
Mississippi
Sort of makes me glad I live way out in a rural area where no one cares what I put up or park in my yard. Years ago before I was even thinking about getting a Casita, I put up a metal carport which was around 10 feet tall at the outside walls. Not sure why I got one so tall but glad that I did. Only problem I have is that eventually the county tax people find it and of course add it to my property tax. Took them about five years to find the cabin I had built on the property.
Patxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:21 AM   #24

Name: ERIC 1983 CASITA
Trailer: 1983 Casita
Texas
Hi, my wife and I are getting ready to retire and unloaded our 36 foot motorhome because we got tired of paying for storage. Our HOA did not allow rv in the driveway. So we also looked hard. 7 foot garage door also. We found only a 1983 to around 86 casita measures 6'8" total height. We got lucky....found a 83. It was painted farlyl nice paint but we are repainting it victory red to match our hummer h2. We had to redmodel every inch of it....electric...latches..trim....fabric. nearly ready for paint now. But it was worth it all with the fact that it fits like a glove in our garage.
ERIC 1983 casita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:40 AM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfick View Post
Lots of places forbid their use or have other building codes and restrictions that make their use impossible. Lots of places forbid an RV on the property while other places restrict them to the back yard, which is a hassle as few folks in such situations have the side yard width which allow for such a thing.

So, for many people, an off site storage fee is required or get it, somehow, into their garage where it's out of site and out of mind for the zoning police.
I live in such a place. Its a District/City wide restriction.

No pop up type tents covers permitted in driveways.

RV's and boats must be stored in the garage, side yard or rear yard except during the spring, summer and early fall when they are permitted in the driveway. You can put them in the driveway in the winter months but only if they are moved after x so many days. In other words it can not be in the driveway in the winter months if you do not use it frequently. The other Bad news is off site storage facilities within 10 miles run about $150 a month.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
'Toy Box'

In our rural area, we built a new 'Toy Box' on a concrete pad, for the 1973 Boler 1300, with enough room for an off-frame restoration. The single door is 12 feet wide and 9 feet high, and the 'box' has elevated scissor trusses for an extra high ceiling clearance. We've always relied on the phrase - "For an extra buck, go first class !". (about 15,000 'extra bucks' - but, the property evaluation has also likewise improved)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1412.jpg  
Old 04-10-2016, 09:18 PM   #27

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
I'm glad to see that I am not alone! Having to pull in the trailer with a winch tops what I have to do though. I did once make "wheels" out of 3/4 inch plywood and they just mushroomed out under the weight. I would like to use the tiny rims but I haven't seen any that would work yet. I would love to just add another garage but I live in suburbia and the HOA does not allow it. There is a small lot for sale about two miles away that I am considering purchasing to put up a garage to store more toys, however, garages are not allowed without a living area so I found this:

Garage Plan chp-53286 at COOLhouseplans.com

Lots of garage and not much house!

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:38 PM   #28

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
On some garage doors there is a piece of 1" wood trim nailed to the top of the door opening, probably nailed. You could carefully remove it to get a little more clearance and then put it back in place using screws so it could be easily removed again and again. It makes me wonder how many old fiberglass rvs are in a garage somewhere that were so much trouble to get in the garage that the owners never take them out and have been sitting there for years!
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:44 AM   #29

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan L. View Post
I got a quote for an 8-foot door and it was over $5K! I can take the wheels off of a whole buncha times for that amount!
Shop around a bit more, I did mine for about 1/2 that (converting dollars).
From your pictures it looks like you have the headroom inside. Consider going a "roll up" type door. I finished mine last year.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ium-72846.html

The biggest problem I have now is timing out when I can park the trailer. I'm on a major street that parallels the highway with 5 bus routes. Some days it is difficult just getting a vehicle into the driveway.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:07 AM   #30

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Hey Bryan, would a pair of those temporary spare tires [on the smallest rims available] that most cars come with today, be too high?

Reminds me of our 1st BF. It would fit in our garage with 3-4 inches to spare on the top and port side....until I mounted a rooftop AC. :-(
mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #31

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
We had a local camper place take out the vent and replace it with a low profile, domed skylight. A lower profile fantastic an was installed near the bunks. JUST fits inside our garage!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #32

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan L. View Post
I'm glad to see that I am not alone! Having to pull in the trailer with a winch tops what I have to do though. I did once make "wheels" out of 3/4 inch plywood and they just mushroomed out under the weight. I would like to use the tiny rims but I haven't seen any that would work yet. I would love to just add another garage but I live in suburbia and the HOA does not allow it. There is a small lot for sale about two miles away that I am considering purchasing to put up a garage to store more toys, however, garages are not allowed without a living area so I found this:

Garage Plan chp-53286 at COOLhouseplans.com

Lots of garage and not much house!
That is where the chauffer lives
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #33

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
you might be able to get it in using golf cart rims that are made for 8 inch tires.
8x7 White Steel Wheel (Centered)
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #34

Name: Mark
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I have always had this problem although I always just let down the air pressure and then rolled it in somehow and then inflated the tyres again. I just got my frame rebuilt by Trillium trailers in Alberta and after that even though the boler is taller now I should be able to use some golf cart wheels I picked up for $10 each at Princess Auto (not sure they have that in the states) and then I can roll in and out of the garage easily.
nzwasp is offline   Reply With Quote