Anyone else hate the look of the rooftop A/C? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

View Poll Results: Rooftop worth "ruining" the look?
Yes, it is worth it. Closet units never turn out well. 7 28.00%
No, not worth getting, a closet unit works just fine. 10 40.00%
You're crazy, it doesnt look that bad and doesnt matter which you choose. 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #15

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
My ParkLiner has it built in under the side dinette bench seat. I like that its not on the roof, it does mess with the lines...but Im sure a rooftop unit would perform better because heat rizes, cool air flows down. I will have to carry a good turbo fan to put under the ac unit to direct the cool air upwards towards me!

But 2 weeks ago I was out camping in NJ, and it was 90+ that weekend, but for some reason right after sunset the humidity dropped and it might have cooled down to 85' but with the fantastic fan blowing down on me and the lower humidity I slept fine...I was all ready to run my generator!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #16

Name: Luis
Trailer: Boler 1300 79'
Alberta
Registry
Another option to investigate is using a split/ minisplit system.

Depending on your tongue available space you can mount the condenser unit out in front, and the evaporator (fan) inside on some available vertical surface.

Smaller units run on 110v (check fujitsu, LG, and similar)

Regards,
L

Old 06-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #17

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
I like the idea of the inside unit due to reduced wind drag and more space up top for a solar array. I wouldn't want to give up any of my front closet space though. My Scamp has the roof unit which cools very well. It reduces the interior head room a few inches, so I tend to stand to one end or other. The roof air doesn't detract from the looks enough to stop all the "It's soooo cute" comments though!
Russ
I removed my old refrigerator so I have the space for both the ac unit and microwave.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #18

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis View Post
Another option to investigate is using a split/ minisplit system.

Depending on your tongue available space you can mount the condenser unit out in front, and the evaporator (fan) inside on some available vertical surface.

Smaller units run on 110v (check fujitsu, LG, and similar)

Regards,
L
On that note, another option is to use a portable unit (either the indoor style with a vent tube going out, or use an outdoor style with an inlet & outlet tube.
Since we have never needed an AC unit camping in 40 years, the rare times when I figure it might be needed, I could pull it out of the tow vehicle and secure it to the tongue or bumper with a chain and have it sit on the ground.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #19

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I don't have A/C yet, but likely will some day. It will go on top and keep the storage space inside for other use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
...but Im sure a rooftop unit would perform better because heat rizes, cool air flows down. I will have to carry a good turbo fan to put under the ac unit to direct the cool air upwards towards me!
With forced air the air circulation from the fan moves air many times faster than natural rising of warmer air. I think is more comfortable up, as the cooling is closer to the head, than cooling your feet first. The idea of a fan to speed up the air movement is a good one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #20

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I don't have A/C yet, but likely will some day. It will go on top and keep the storage space inside for other use.

With forced air the air circulation from the fan moves air many times faster than natural rising of warmer air. I think is more comfortable up, as the cooling is closer to the head, than cooling your feet first. The idea of a fan to speed up the air movement is a good one.
Most of the time when I use the unit will be in the evening when I am in bed or relaxing. So regardless of if its above me or below me, the space is so small (13 foot scamp i.e. 10 ft inside) the interior will get cold or comfortable rather quickly.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #21

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Thats kind of what I think as well... but I think with a floor mounted ac unit moving the air around with a good fan would probably speed up how long it would take to cool down a hot trailer...and probably useing the fantastic fan to suck out the hot air.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #22

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
So the point doesn't get lost:

Many Scamps and other FGRV's can't support a roof mounted a/c unit.

If this is in your plans, or if thetre is already one on a unit you are considering, be sure that it is factory designed to support a roof mounted unit. At the very least, ask here first.

Otherwise, after a really hard bump, you roof mounted unit could become a floor mounted A/C.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #23

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
To add to Bobs post which is something to definitely consider.

Escape facilitates the roof mounting by use of an additional fiberglass shroud to support the unit, as the single shell would not be enough support on its own.

I am sure something similar could be done to other models, like Scamps, but one would be wise to make certain it was strong enough.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #24

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamping View Post
Is it worth fiddling around with closet A/C units to maintain the lines or is the rooftop A/C just that much better?
I have experienced different units on my Fiber Stream.

When I first bought it there was a roof unit that I discovered was not an Air Conditioner but a Swamp Cooler. I had liked my Swamp Cooler when I lived in a 55' Mobilehome that did not move. I discovered that one was fussy to use on a travel trailer that moved often and it usually leaked, so I took it off and replaced it with a Fantastic Fan. Being a cheapskate, I then installed My Easily Removeable Window Air Conditioner. I didn't need Air Conditioning often so I thought only putting it in the front window when I needed it, and storing it in a box under the bed when I didn't need it would work out OK. My window unit was a 5000 BTU Zenith and it was balanced; exactly half of it hung outside and half of it hung inside. I did not need to rig support bracing under it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0714.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	60720

Well, that was OK for a while, but I went on a long trip when I needed A/C for each stopover, and the repeated put-it-in and take-it-out and put-it-in and take-it-out got really old by the end of the trip. Because of the front gravel guard I couldn't leave it in the front window, so I moved it to the side and caulked it in. Because of the balanced cantilever it did not stick out too far for a side mount.

Name:	000_1094.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	60721

That worked for a while but then I noticed that no matter how obsessive-compulsive I was about getting the caulking right, it still leaked during rainstorms and it did not cool as well in the side window like it did in the front window. In the front window the air blew unobstructed through the trailer to the back. In the side window it blew across the bed area, but the kitchen in the middle of the trailer stayed warm.

That's when I decided that 5000 BTUs weren't enough for my uninsulated 16' Fiber Stream, and I was fed up with the leaking. I took it out and put a 9200 BTU Coleman on the roof in the center of the trailer and moved the Fantastic Fan to a new position forward over the bed. Yes, the rooftop A/C is just that much better!

Name:	000_1445.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	60722
Old 06-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #25

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Hey, I'm all for AC when I can get it. I sleep with a fan 365 days a year. Throw a AC in there and I sleep like a baby. DW says I'm a little grouchy when it's Hot. I'm with Steve; won't even notice it from inside except you won't be sweating.