Anyone else hate the look of the rooftop A/C? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Rooftop worth "ruining" the look?
Yes, it is worth it. Closet units never turn out well. 7 28.00%
No, not worth getting, a closet unit works just fine. 10 40.00%
You're crazy, it doesnt look that bad and doesnt matter which you choose. 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #1

Name: Austin
Trailer: In the market
Florida
Anyone else hate the look of the rooftop A/C?

I am debating whether the rooftop A/C is worth it. I know people mention lots of hassle with the closet units but I just feel like the rooftop mounted A/C ruins the retro look of the scamp. Is it worth fiddling around with closet A/C units to maintain the lines or is the rooftop A/C just that much better? Or am I just crazy and the roof mount doesn't look that bad?

Help me out here.
scamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #2

Name: Austin
Trailer: In the market
Florida
Oh no! The dreaded Your vs You're got me. Forgive me for my embarrassing typo in the poll.
scamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
From an aesthetic view point I think a roof top A/C looks out of place on a Scamp but from strictly a functional view point it works really well . I would rather be cool than look cool ! When sleeping in my Scamp on a 90 Deg evening I hardly notice the A/C sitting on the roof but I am a form following function kind of guy
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #4

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
I think on the small trailers it looks like overkill. I am not an AC fan even in my home. Use a fan in the trailer to keep hubby's crisco from melting.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Get the roof unit and get over it,you are in Texas are you crazy?!?

I have tried a front or side closet unit in several trailers and none worked to my satisfaction at all.

The 2 units I have with a rooftop AC look just fine when you realize they just do the job and when I am showered with cold air from above!

Really

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I guess the question is, is AC needed. It only works when at an RV resort with an electric pole and $$$$
Old 06-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #7

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
And creates noise along with the snoring from the guy in the pop-up next to you.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:58 AM   #8

Name: Randy
Trailer: casita
Florida
I like the closet model. It cools the trailor fine. Roof AC'S are a winddrag, too expensive to fix or replace and another possible leakpoint in the roof. I would have delt with it but glad mine is in the front closet. No problems so far .
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:00 AM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
My response is not listed, so I am not voting.

Our rooftop is great. It will cool; it will heat; and it is white noise to cover that snoring man next door. I need the closet space too.

Your choice though. We camp with electric; some people don't.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Ours is veritably festooned, what with the A/C with a faring, a Fantastic Fan with a Maxxair cover, a Delta Antenna and a Catalina awning.
I can't say whether it is still retro or gone modern...Telstar was a long time ago...
http://tinyurl.com/lsn2kbn
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0034.JPG   bb798211-9321-32df-936f-cbcf461bbfbe.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #11

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I guess the question is, is AC needed. It only works when at an RV resort with an electric pole and $$$$
The OP is in Florida. He probably needs it. Even up here in MD, the dew point is 70 today. And it hasn't even gotten to the "humid" part of summer yet! Camping last week, the AC was dropping about four to five drops of water per second. It's downright miserable trying to sleep in those conditions.

My wife hates the idea of AC, but she still turns it on.

In other parts of the country, you may not need AC, but out here it is pretty much a necessity if you want to camp in the summer.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Are you thinking of removing a rooftop a/c unit? Or adding one?

I am with CindyL as my response is not listed.

But as well I don't have enough info to respond to your question other than to say, if you have a roof top a/c, in my opinion you would be off your rocker to remove it! If you don't have any a/c I personally suggest getting one!

Will add that adding a rooftop a/c is not a easy project unless your glass egg came from the factory with roof support! If no supports, you either have to add (talk about changing the look, as well as I haven't heard of many successful rooftop support mods! A few, but not many....) or go with closet or one of the other a/c mods members have done!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #13

Name: Guy
Georgia
Because my garage will not allow a roof top unit, I have no other choice but to go with a inside unit. However given the choice, I would still prefer the inside unit. I don't see the need or the cost of such a monstrosity on top of my Scamp. Besides that I have seen some creative folks pop out the inside units than roll them when they are through. Guess its on some kind of roll out draw. But I like the idea.
Either way "I NEED MY AC!!!!!"
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #14

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
I like the idea of the inside unit due to reduced wind drag and more space up top for a solar array. I wouldn't want to give up any of my front closet space though. My Scamp has the roof unit which cools very well. It reduces the interior head room a few inches, so I tend to stand to one end or other. The roof air doesn't detract from the looks enough to stop all the "It's soooo cute" comments though!
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #15

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
My ParkLiner has it built in under the side dinette bench seat. I like that its not on the roof, it does mess with the lines...but Im sure a rooftop unit would perform better because heat rizes, cool air flows down. I will have to carry a good turbo fan to put under the ac unit to direct the cool air upwards towards me!

But 2 weeks ago I was out camping in NJ, and it was 90+ that weekend, but for some reason right after sunset the humidity dropped and it might have cooled down to 85' but with the fantastic fan blowing down on me and the lower humidity I slept fine...I was all ready to run my generator!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #16

Name: Luis
Trailer: Boler 1300 79'
Alberta
Registry
Another option to investigate is using a split/ minisplit system.

Depending on your tongue available space you can mount the condenser unit out in front, and the evaporator (fan) inside on some available vertical surface.

Smaller units run on 110v (check fujitsu, LG, and similar)

Regards,
L
Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #17

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
I like the idea of the inside unit due to reduced wind drag and more space up top for a solar array. I wouldn't want to give up any of my front closet space though. My Scamp has the roof unit which cools very well. It reduces the interior head room a few inches, so I tend to stand to one end or other. The roof air doesn't detract from the looks enough to stop all the "It's soooo cute" comments though!
Russ
I removed my old refrigerator so I have the space for both the ac unit and microwave.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis View Post
Another option to investigate is using a split/ minisplit system.

Depending on your tongue available space you can mount the condenser unit out in front, and the evaporator (fan) inside on some available vertical surface.

Smaller units run on 110v (check fujitsu, LG, and similar)

Regards,
L
On that note, another option is to use a portable unit (either the indoor style with a vent tube going out, or use an outdoor style with an inlet & outlet tube.
Since we have never needed an AC unit camping in 40 years, the rare times when I figure it might be needed, I could pull it out of the tow vehicle and secure it to the tongue or bumper with a chain and have it sit on the ground.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I don't have A/C yet, but likely will some day. It will go on top and keep the storage space inside for other use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
...but Im sure a rooftop unit would perform better because heat rizes, cool air flows down. I will have to carry a good turbo fan to put under the ac unit to direct the cool air upwards towards me!
With forced air the air circulation from the fan moves air many times faster than natural rising of warmer air. I think is more comfortable up, as the cooling is closer to the head, than cooling your feet first. The idea of a fan to speed up the air movement is a good one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #20

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I don't have A/C yet, but likely will some day. It will go on top and keep the storage space inside for other use.

With forced air the air circulation from the fan moves air many times faster than natural rising of warmer air. I think is more comfortable up, as the cooling is closer to the head, than cooling your feet first. The idea of a fan to speed up the air movement is a good one.
Most of the time when I use the unit will be in the evening when I am in bed or relaxing. So regardless of if its above me or below me, the space is so small (13 foot scamp i.e. 10 ft inside) the interior will get cold or comfortable rather quickly.