Anyone fished BC and Alaska? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
If you are sport fisherman this may be of interest to you. I am taking of on my Alaska trip in a few weeks...

Not much on Salmon fishing.. I don't like to eat them and they are way too big for light spinning tackle. But I have a guide this year on the Kitimat to tell me how to fish it so I am bringing my light saltwater rig (9' 20/200) this time. Funny that I have kept my salt rig as I haven't been ocean fishing in ten or more years. We'll see.

Once i get to Ketchikan and over to Prince of Wales Island I'll do lake and stream for Cutthroat and Dolly Varden. A friend of mine tells me he caught Dolly Varden off the Docks at Wrangell right where the cruise ships tie up... they are salt/fresh and will hit almost anything. I will definitely fry or bake one of these guys.

Getting up and down to the Cassiar highway on my way back, there is good fishing in the Nass River I hear. Maybe Cuts and Rainbows... salmon too possibly. Maybe Greyling in the Yukon too.

Any suggestions? (I have half a dozen medium size hot-shots an but that's about it.. besides Mepps and flies and stuff for little guys)

Oh... I may take a halibut boat out of Craig if I can fourth or fifth a group. It may be too expensive though.
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
What is the month and days you are going?

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
I have actually been to POW this time of year, Dolly's were about all we caught. We used spoons, like daredevils and such. We returned in Sept of that year and actually got tired of catching salmon. You have to pinch your barbs, or at least 8 years ago you did. We drove, to Prince Rupert, took the ferry, then stayed in Forest Service cabins. We had a blast. There are a million miles of logging roads on POW. I want to do it again but drive to Bellingham and ferry up to Skagway, then drive the loop and return via Skagway.

THe ferry system is a poor mans cruise, and a fantastic trip.
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #4

Quote:
What is the month and days you are going?

Harry
The whole month of July plus a week or two for the trip.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #5

Quote:
I have actually been to POW this time of year, Dolly's were about all we caught. We used spoons, like daredevils and such. We returned in Sept of that year and actually got tired of catching salmon. You have to pinch your barbs, or at least 8 years ago you did. We drove, to Prince Rupert, took the ferry, then stayed in Forest Service cabins. We had a blast. There are a million miles of logging roads on POW. I want to do it again but drive to Bellingham and ferry up to Skagway, then drive the loop and return via Skagway.
[b]
THe ferry system is a poor mans cruise, and a fantastic trip.
You'll be more than pleased with the BC Ferry. The glacial narrows it goes through are just incredibly beautiful and out of bounds for cruise ships. They never gets to see that part of BC so in a way you will be on the best cruise of the bunch.
I drove to Vancouver City, ferried across to Vancouver Island and drove up to Port Hardy... then ferried the 16 hour day to Rupert. I have yet to to have a more pleasant outdoor experience. I'll reserve judgment until I ferry the Alaska trail but the BC ferry is going to be hard to beat.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:36 AM   #6

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Ron,

I would stop at Kluane lake Canada several days and fish lake trout, also northern pike, along the Alaska bound road there are wonderful steams with grayling trout in them, bring mosquito repellent... the industrial stuff...head towards Anchorage and hit Seward, and Homer, the salmon derby is the 7th of August. I found it best to fish prior to the 15th to the 22, there are several distinct runs of salmon species they come in waves, the last surge starts up at the end of the month about...getting out of Alaska prior to the second week of August is important. Kodiak had the best salmon fishing, the Russian and American rivers were good in July, avoid the lakes unless you fly in to them and hit the rivers, the razor clams were huge and I got halibut off the pier in Kodiak. Rig for wet wet wet. Some fairs are going on around Anchorage early July. You might see when the grunion will beech on Kodiak it should be about then...its a lunar cycle so it changes.

Harry

Quote:
If you are sport fisherman this may be of interest to you. I am taking of on my Alaska trip in a few weeks...

Not much on Salmon fishing.. I don't like to eat them and they are way too big for light spinning tackle. But I have a guide this year on the Kitimat to tell me how to fish it so I am bringing my light saltwater rig (9' 20/200) this time. Funny that I have kept my salt rig as I haven't been ocean fishing in ten or more years. We'll see.

Once i get to Ketchikan and over to Prince of Wales Island I'll do lake and stream for Cutthroat and Dolly Varden. A friend of mine tells me he caught Dolly Varden off the Docks at Wrangell right where the cruise ships tie up... they are salt/fresh and will hit almost anything. I will definitely fry or bake one of these guys.

Getting up and down to the Cassiar highway on my way back, there is good fishing in the Nass River I hear. Maybe Cuts and Rainbows... salmon too possibly. Maybe Greyling in the Yukon too.

Any suggestions? (I have half a dozen medium size hot-shots an but that's about it.. besides Mepps and flies and stuff for little guys)

Oh... I may take a halibut boat out of Craig if I can fourth or fifth a group. It may be too expensive though.
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #7

Off this Friday

"Poor mans cruise"... I like that.

The blog:http://ronsalaska.blogspot.com/
photo journal: http://community.webshots.com/user/utahronnie
landscape photography: http://pbase.com/troron

Old 06-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Ron, I've bookmarked your blog and am looking forward to seeing your updates on the trip. Someday we hope to be able to drive to Alaska so we will be taking notes!