Anyone from New Hampshire ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #1

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Anyone from New Hampshire ?

Hello to all.....Hope someone can help me with some information.

I have a friend that is "thinking "about moving to Exeter,NH,but has not been able to find out much about types of work might be in that area. Her husband mostly works in the building trades and is bilingual.

They are interested in making this move for 2 reasons (1)her son has been offered a scholarship to some private school in that town (2)to get away from some very Bad memories where they live now.

If anyone has any ideas about what the employment is like in this area I would sure like to hear about it,as I told her I would ask all the nice people here for any help they might be able to give .

Thank You all very much......Happy Camping ....luckylynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
New Hampshire

New Hampshire is an unusual state. We have no state income tax and no state sales tax. Our unemployment rate is 5.2%, the fourth lowest in the United States. The median income in NH is the highest in the United States. The following web sites will provide information for you.

Bottom Line - Wealth report reveals richest states, poorest states

NH pays it's state legislators $200 per year; NY pays $79,000 per year.
There is a sense of reality here that does not exist in most states in the nation. The motto is "Live Free or Die". Our kids graduate, we have high SAT scores, excellent health rates and one of the lowest poverty rates in the country.

N.H. lives up to its billing « Don Surber

As to Exeter it is a small town with one of the best private schools in the country. If your child was offered a scholarship it is certainly a great honor. Graduates of Phillips Exeter Academy do get a marvelous head start on life.

As to employment in the building trades I have no experience though Southern NH is a relatively well off area and the unemployment rate speaks for itself, basically half the national rate.

Hope this helps a little.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #3

Thanks so much for the help...I have printed out your answer and will give it to my friend next week when I see her.

Happy Camping...Lynn
Old 09-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Phillips Exeter

Kids come from all over the world and country to study at Phillips Exeter. It's more like a college campus than a high school, truly very nice located in the center of Exeter. Most of the kids live in dorms on campus. The campus and town, like most of NH, is extremely safe, really a rural community. There is absolutely no doubt that you could send your son or daughter there without a single concern for their safety. It's truly a walk around town with the campus intertwined into the downtown, not even buses are required for students to get around. It's the kind of environment you would expect to only find in a movie.

I would say if my children had been offered a scholarship there I would simply send my child and simultaneously thank God and the scholarship committee. No one who visits Exeter would be disappointed.

I will say that housing in Exeter is generally not inexpensive but there are plenty of abutting towns with more realistic prices. (Our town abuts Exeter.) Exeter, while close to Boston (1 hr and train service to the city from Exeter) is a small town in a rural state. You don't have to drive far to be in the sticks and not much further to be in the mountains (at least people in NH call them Mts). Exeter is also not far from the ocean (about 15 minutes).

Exeter is built on a small river, as many of the coastal NH towns, and has an active downtown with shops and restuarants, even two Gazebos and a nice riverside park.

It is a charming place like most of the seacoast communities. We used to have a large air force base in Porstmouth, NH (really the core city (pop. about 25,000) on the seacoast). The air force left, but business from across the country and world moved in. The community, though successful when the base was operational, exploded when they left, the former base now home to numerous companies. As well Portsmouth has one remaining military installation the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, primarily used for refurbishing the nuclear submarine fleet.

A little more background.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #5

Thanks to everyone far the help and information you have given me. I copied and print everything for my friend . She was so excited because you suggested some sights to look at that she had not found and because she is starting to feel like they have a better understanding of the people and area.

Thank You all for your help........Lynn