Anyone Have Outside String Light Ideas? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Anyone Have Outside String Light Ideas?

We bought a new 12 x 12 canopy ( Coleman Instant Canopy, 12' x 12' - Walmart.com ) instead of a awning & thought some string lights would be fun to hang. Does anyone have some pictures or links on where to find decent ones? I have seen the beer mugs.. camper style. Thanks in advance!
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Amazon.com: Camco 42655 RV Retro Travel Trailer Party Light: Automotive
Old 07-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #3

Name: Stan
Trailer: Shopping
South Carolina
How do you like the Coleman awning?
Scubastan48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Scubastan48.. we really like the Coleman canopy. It sets right against the Scamp. Wish it was a little higher but we just put some wood blocks under it & it goes just over to keep the rain out.

I see you are in to scuba. I got my license (PADI) about 3 years ago & am finally getting the equipment together. I will be mostly exploring the lakes here in MN. Where do you like to dive?
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #5

One comment about lights. They are nice to sit out under and talk. We use rope lights and find that they have just enough light to see your wine glass. They are not nice to other campers when you leave them (or your porch light) on all night. Some of us like darkness when we sleep.

Jerry & Stelly
jerry and stelly hofelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Have two sets of the lights that Tom referred to, one set from Amazon that I converted to 12 volt, other set I got at Walmart that is 110. Amazon has others, I think I've seen some that look like airstreams but you could convince people they are really fiberglass campers.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We have a trouble light chandelier that hangs in the middle of our screen house. I made it from a trouble light, bug bulb, and beads to match the camper. We do have those camper string lights that we got at Walmart, but we don't use them much. We do also use rope lights down the tie-down strings to keep from strangling ourselves as we walk past. We got the rope lights on clearance after Halloween.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I like Cindy's idea and recall seeing a picture of it. I need to do something similar for our screen house as we will be spending a lot of time in it this winter when it gets dark early. We have the Eureka Northern Breeze screen house that has flaps to close it in and we use a Mr Heater to warm it. It has an external frame so not sure where to run the wire. A lantern on the table doesn't work good because the light is right in your face. For now we have a round LED hanging tent light from Walmart. I have a couple heat lamps from when we raised turkeys, wonder how that would be to sit under on a cold day. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well since you have the coleman conopy,,you have no choice really,,,you have to use the "coleman lantern" awning lights,,,, you can get them at miejers.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #10

Trailer: Trillium 4500
These work great, low power draw, nice warm light. LED C6 70 Light Set - Warm White | PartyLights.com
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #11

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
I have solar lights I bought at Target. I needed two sets to go around the top of the canopy. They are not brite lights but I like them to find the camper when I go out at night or sitting near the fire. They stay on all night. I also have two single burner colman mantel lights that use the little gas tanks. I leave one sitting on the table outside and the other I hang in a nearby tree. I don't like them to close to the camper because lights attract the bugs so bad. I turn the colman lights off at night.
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #12

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
cindy i wanna see

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
We have a trouble light chandelier that hangs in the middle of our screen house. I made it from a trouble light, bug bulb, and beads to match the camper. We do have those camper string lights that we got at Walmart, but we don't use them much. We do also use rope lights down the tie-down strings to keep from strangling ourselves as we walk past. We got the rope lights on clearance after Halloween.

CindyL
Picture of chandelier please!!!
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #13

Registry
The chandelier is posted here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...r-52133-3.html. It has an extra long cord on it that we wrap around the screenhouse post and run it down to our surge protector. It is the main source of light usually, although I did buy clamp lamps for our chairs, and we do have the camper string lights and the rope lights that we use on the tie-down strings. Most of the time, we just use the chandelier and the rope lights (These are a necessity! We used to always trip on or strangle ourselves on the screenhouse tie-down ropes until we added these.).

CindyL
Old 07-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #14

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
We have the Coleman Max 10 x 10 and it just fits our scamp 13ft. with both sections of leg extended it goes high enough to be above the door rain gaurd. Do have to stake it really well so a strong wind can not knock poles against camper. That extra 2 ft on a 12 x 12 would be nice.

Especially like the way the roof support poles arch up, thing that wrecks most of these canopies is water collecting along edge, which then sags and collects more water, until weight of water causes a total collapse.

We may purchase a foam water pipe inulator, the ones with the slit to wrap around pipe, cut in half and slip them over poles as a bumper, just in case.

No help on the string lights, don't want to bother with storing or set up. No real interest in decorating campsite. Did see the little coleman lantern lights, cute but just not my thing. Have considered a couple of solar led walk lights to mark the canopy ropes at the outside corners.

I'm another one that puts my coleman lantern out away from the campsite if I'm using it. I generally just need enough light to not walk into stuff.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
We make these lights in Scamp, Casita, Escape, and other fiberglass and vintage trailer brands.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_7308.JPG  
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #16

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
These are really nice! I love the tee shirt! " Half the size, twice the fun" HA!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #17
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Has anybody mentioned partylights.com/? I've never ordered from them, but have been tempted...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #18

Registry
I just got back from a discount party store. They have lights too for themed parties, so if you want SW, you can buy lights that are cacti, Mexican hats, etc. Or if you do your camper up ala Hawaii, you can get lights to match that.

CindyL
Old 07-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #19

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Solar lights of any type.....you can now get them as sting lights or post lights. I use the regular type that you put down in your yard or by your drive way.They get to do triple duty...most of the time they just stay in the yard...untill we go camping ...then I just take them up and take them with us.That way they are already charged when we get there.....Then if we are without lights (due to storm) I bring them in the house at night and place them in vases that (or QT jars) that they fit perfect in durring the day they go back outside to charge.(saves flash light battery)
They give just enough light to set outside and enjoy the night,but do not draw bugs( at least they haven't yet)
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #20

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I bought a 30" string of LED lights connected to a battery pack that are designed to be used under water in a flower vase. They give off enough soft light to read by at night. I wrapped the string around a 6" pinecone giving it a soft glow at our picnic table. Amazon sells something similar here Amazon.com: LED Fairy String Lights--PURPLE Lights 10 sets 3 lights- for Inside Eiffel Towers and Flower Arrangements: Kitchen & Dining.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light