Anyone in here a Lawyer in Nor Cal? - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
If not a lawyer a Repo-Man?

I bought a Motorcycle in CA. Seller sent me Bill of Sale and Title but has now vanished from me with the bike and my money. IMHO its Grand larceny but by law books.... its civil case.

Local Police do say the address I have on him is good and he does reside there. but Im in TX

need help

coachgeo AT hotmail DOT you know the rest.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
I doubt you will get anyone to dispense legal advice here but if it were me I would call the District Attorney's Office in the county where the seller resides. This is a strange one though with the seller providing the title and bill of sale but failing to provide the motorcycle. Let us know what ultimately happens.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
You weren't clear about whether you have already come to CA and tried to fetch your motorcycle. CA has some very effective consumer protection laws, if you can make them work for you. I've had some success with small claims court, but that would require that you be present in the seller's community in order to file. Hiring an attorney is an expensive proposition and not very effective for this sort of thing, IMHO. Did you talk to the County Sheriff's Office? or the DMV? If you are dealing with a business, I would try Better Business Bureau or the Attorney General of the State of CA. There are a lot of scams out there and you may have been scammed, I don't know. Sorry, I'm not volunteering to go over to talk to the motorcycle guy!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #4

Quote:
... but that would require that you be present in the seller's community in order to file....
Interesting, I wonder what proper venue would be, especially if it wasn't stated in the agreement. Regardless, a civil suit would be a slow process. I would still contact the District Attorney in the county where the seller resides to see if they would be interested in following through. I believe all of the District Attorneys in California are listed on the internet.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #5

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
Seems to me if you have a bill of sale AND the title then that motorcycle is now a stolen vehicle, a felony in any state. I would call CHP and local cops.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Seems to me if you have a bill of sale AND the title then that motorcycle is now a stolen vehicle, a felony in any state. I would call CHP and local cops.
Interesting logic Pete. I think a good test of it would be to put a claim in on insurance and see what they say. I'll bet they say that there is no coverage for fraud, assuming that's what it ends up being.