Anyone in Northern CA have an 80's-90's Bigfoot 5th wheel? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #1

Name: Barry
Trailer: Coleman popup, 5th wheel shopping
CA
Anyone in Northern CA have an 80's-90's Bigfoot 5th wheel?

We’re seriously considering an 80’s-90’s Bigfoot 5th wheel for extended cross-country road trips, but the only ones that have turned up for sale recently are hundreds of miles from our location in Northern California.

Before we start driving long distances to look a potential purchase candidates, we’re really like to get an opportunity to look one over in person – if there’s anyone in the general Sacramento / SF Bay area that’s willing to show us their Bigfoot 5th wheel, please drop us a PM.

Thanks in advance……..
oldcarguy6547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I've only seen 2 of these in person. They were at the Bullard's Beach rally a few years ago. This year the FGRV rally at Bullard's beach is in July. It's usually a big one with over 100 fiberglass units attending. There were not too many fifth wheels built. Some are single axle, and some double axle. The ones I toured at the rally were very nice. Good luck with your search.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:18 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I've only seen 2 of these in person. They were at the Bullard's Beach rally a few years ago. This year the FGRV rally at Bullard's beach is in July. It's usually a big one with over 100 fiberglass units attending. There were not too many fifth wheels built. Some are single axle, and some double axle. The ones I toured at the rally were very nice. Good luck with your search.
do note that at last report, all campsites at Bullard's Beach were sold out that weekend.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:02 PM   #4

CA
Been lurking here and on a couple of other fiberglass RV sites for some time - given how few turn up for sale, I figured there weren't many small Bigfoot 5th wheels built in the first place (unfortunately, I wasn't looking at this time last year - one was listed 30 miles from me for $1000 last Feb).

We're retired and on a more or less fixed income which precludes purchasing new or near-new, and small 5th wheels seem to fit our criteria well (permanent bed, enough space for two people and a small dog to coexist for 3-4 weeks at a time, reasonable sized bath with shower, small enough to fit our existing storage space and light enough to tow with a 1/2 ton pickup) hence the interest in an older used unit......
Old 01-17-2018, 11:28 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy6547 View Post
Been lurking here and on a couple of other fiberglass RV sites for some time - given how few turn up for sale, I figured there weren't many small Bigfoot 5th wheels built in the first place (unfortunately, I wasn't looking at this time last year - one was listed 30 miles from me for $1000 last Feb).

We're retired and on a more or less fixed income which precludes purchasing new or near-new, and small 5th wheels seem to fit our criteria well (permanent bed, enough space for two people and a small dog to coexist for 3-4 weeks at a time, reasonable sized bath with shower, small enough to fit our existing storage space and light enough to tow with a 1/2 ton pickup) hence the interest in an older used unit......
I don't want to sound pessimistic, but...

a $1000 trailer is likely going to be a shell full of crud that will need gutting, the shell will probably need fiberglass patching and refinishing, the floor rebuilt, windows resealed or replaced, then all the cabinetry and appliances redone pretty much from scratch. oh, and the probably rusty frame repaired, and new wheels, brakes, suspension, etc. electrics, plumbing, gas, all redone. I hope you know what you're getting yourself into.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:33 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'd hang onto the popup and use your money to go camping.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:39 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Barry, you should really try to attend a FG rally to get some eyeballs on different makes and sizes that are out there. You may find that something other than a 5th wheel will work well for you. They all do look good on paper until you step inside to try it on so to say. There have been a few folks tell us that they were totally set on XXX until they got inside one. With your tug you have many TT options available to choose from. Good luck in your search.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
5th wheel

I think I would drop my wishes to a scamp 5th wheel there are several listed for sale here. not perfect but certainly easier to find and sooooo light to tow!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:13 AM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
$1000 Bigfoot fifth wheel? Not going to see that again. If it was legit, it should have sold in 5 minutes or less. Bigfoots are expensive trailers, at the high end price wise compared to other FG trailers. Its a four season trailer, and four season trailers cost more to build and sell for more money. Used Bigfoots bring top dollar. A legitimate seller at $1000 would have to have been totally clueless.

Molded FG trailers are hard to find, fifth wheels much harder. Almost all of the used fiberglass fifth wheels out there are Scamps.

Used FG trailers tend to hold their value extremely well. Less than ten years old, they are selling for just a few thousand less than a brand new one. Buyers are avoiding a six to twelve month wait for a new one, and perhaps getting a few options thrown in. They are not getting a fine trailer cheap.

A $1000 FG trailer would likely not even be towable, with frame damage, body damage, etc. I looked at a $1600 one last year. I would have rented a flat bed trailer to bring it home.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:32 PM   #10

CA
Thanks for the responses and thoughts..............

If we don't turn up any units to look at in our area, we do plan to hit a couple of the rallies this summer in case any attend (our daughter lives in Corvallis OR, not far from Bullards). Of the 22 Bigfoot 5th wheels I found listed for sale in the last three years, 16 were in Canada (mostly in B.C.), so we might head on up there if any are listed for sale in that area later in the spring.

Don't have any illusions about additional $1000 Bigfoot 5th wheels turning up or the condition one would likely be in, but even if it had been trashed, that one that was listed was close and would have been a good opportunity to see one in person.

Have thought about Scamp 5th wheels, but I've known a couple of people who have had issues with leakage at through-shell rivets; ideally, I'd also prefer the additional stability of tandem axles.....

We currently tow a Coleman popup with a 66 Nova station wagon - it's worked great for the last 3 summers, but as a unit-body passenger car, it's at its capacity limits. Despite upgrades (350 V8, disc brakes, cooling system, heavy duty springs and an integrated class II receiver hitch) subjecting it to the additional draw bar and tongue weights of a larger, heaver trailer would be courting disaster. If we do jump to a 5th wheel (or any larger trailer) it will be with a bigger TV.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #11

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'd hang onto the popup and use your money to go camping.
The Coleman is great as a camp trailer, but it does have its drawbacks.......

When the weather turns cold and windy, it's drafty and there's no way the furnace can keep the interior warm, making it impractical to use in anything other than relatively temperate weather (even with two comforters and sleeping bags we darn near froze on a windy 30 degree night at 4000 ft last fall).

When it rains, the canvas gets wet - if you don't (or can't) wait for it dry out before collapsing it to travel, the wet canvas gets the beds wet.

If you want to leave the trailer for side trips, there's essentially NO ability to secure belongings inside unless you pack everything up, collapse and lock it - if it's left "up" you can't leave anything inside and count on it being there when you get back.

Under ideal circumstances, it takes about an hour to unhitch and set up, and another hour to break down and hitch back up - not a big deal if you're staying in one place for several days, but if you're travelling cross-country that two hours really cuts into your drive time, and it's obviously not possible to use the popup for short nap breaks in highway rest areas

We're planning a couple of transcontinental trips in the next couple of years - all of the above factors will become issues at one point or another if we try to use the Coleman for those journeys.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:05 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1300 (#171)
bigfoot fifth wheel

Hello Everybody,

I 've seen this one: https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...0-las-vegas-nv

It's not in CA but AZ It's pretty close to you compared to me : Province Québec Canada . Might be your luck. I would have bought it. But the owner want to talk in person for selling it. And I presume Her/him not incline to sell to an out of country gentleman .

By the way, don't want to hijjack your post but could it be a good idea to use the community here to help some fellow fibreglassRVer's buying their unit at the other end of the country. for those willing to travel so far for for their dream RV?
guy sylvestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:49 PM   #13

CA
We purchased an exceptionally clean one owner '02 GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab pickup with a cab-high camper shell as a tow vehicle, and decided that we didn't want to do without the additional storage / carrying capacity that the enclosed bed provides.

As a result, we broadened our search to bumper-pull trailers and ultimately picked up a two owner 24' 2007 Hi-Lo in Arizona - it's as clean and original as the truck, so we're set for now, at least. If you see a white GMC pickup towing a white Hi-Lo down the freeway this summer, it's probably us.......

Tags
bigfoot