Anyone keep RV Diary-guest book-other traditions? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #1

Name: Tonia
Trailer: Scamp 13' (1982)
Wisconsin
Anyone keep RV Diary-guest book-other traditions?

Since getting the Scamp I've used an old surveyor's field book to keep a diary of the nights the scamp spends camping.

I track the date, the day's activities, camping guests, etc. These diaries seem common at the cabins "up north" and I thought, why not?

Anyone else have things they do as a camping tradition?
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #2

Name: Peter
Trailer: Escape
New York
Registry
We keep a journal at our family camp, with dates who went what we did and if the next guest should be aware of anything. It is a great idea. We have had our scamp now for 4 years and been on some amazing trips. I did start a journal in the scamp. It helps bring back fond memories. And perhaps the campsite number of a great spot to revisit. Even to check possibly on how many miles you have gone since the last time you serviced the bearings.
PeterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
A number of people keep journals. I'm hit and miss when it comes to keeping track. But, I like the idea of bringing back fond memories.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:08 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have a journal that covers 11 years of camping. Ginny has listed every campground, well over 2000 nights, price, attributes, neat restaurants and so on. It comes in handy for places to stay when we pass thru the same area after 11 years..... plus it trigger memories.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #5

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
we have a couple things we do, the first being a photo album. my wife has some website she goes to and loads pictures to them, with little quotes and discriptions and the send us a professionaly made up little photo book of our trip i thnk its about $20 but they look real nice and the collection tells our camping story.
i know they have a program and you can do this yourself too.
another thing we do is collect playing cards. its inexpensive, and just about everywhere you go they have their own deck. makes a fun usefull little keepsake of our trips.
i also collect a post card from where we go. these i am gluing down to a folding table top. when completed i will coat it in spar varnish to make it waterproof and it will be our conversation/card table for camping with a visual reminder of where we have been.
also we collect a rock where ever we travel for my fishpond landscape. we can look at the fish and see all the places we have been for the last 40 years.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We keep a book in the truck where we record our refueling stops, price per gallon, total price, number of gallons, mpg, road/bridge tolls, campground fees, and locations of above. Formerly we used to record EVERY cent spent while away from home. Don't do that any more. Separately, I keep a journal in the trailer where I record our daily activities, where we've been, and my thoughts. If we see some wildlife, that goes in, too.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Keep a log which is mainly when/where stopped, when dragged up, main destination, something special or weird we saw, maybe weather event, total mileage. Good thing to keep a journal if you have a facility for "selectivity". I hate journals of gushy inclusivity with all wonders of nature and personal dietary intake for all daily meals enumerated as I found out glancing at the entries in the "log" of a for hire diesel canal boat on the Erie Canal. Is anything special when everything is special? Many things are moderately interesting; ephemera are experienced as such and can't always be freeze-dried; some memories are private.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #8

Name: Mireille
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Quebec
I collect rock. When we get our Boler I will find a big plexiglass jar to keep them in the camper....somewhere !
Plus I'm an amateur photographer so I «collect» pictures !
Old 09-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Beyond the journal we keep track of every expenditure on a daily basis. We find that subconsciously it helps us not overspend, minimally it lets us know how much we spend.

I also keep track of fuel bought and mileage for each gas purchase in a separate spread sheet. Fuel is one of our biggest expenses.

Our numbers have been of use to other beginning RVers who've asked for typical expenses for our life style.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #10

Name: M
Trailer: Influx
Usa
I think keeping a guest book is a great idea. Back in my tent camping days I kept a binder of the campground, dates, site, notable trails, maps. Will do the same for trailer, but will keep a more detailed log of our automobile to help track mileage of trailer as well as for fuel economy management.
Mimi Lee is offline   Reply With Quote