anyone live near Kearney, Nebraska? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #1

Name: j
Trailer: in the market
Colorado
anyone live near Kearney, Nebraska?

Hi everyone,
We are the people who have been for months desperately (and less and less patiently) trying to find a standard 16/17' casita with no bathroom.
Well we found one just south of Kearney. Unfortunately it is about a 7 hour drive from us. Our concern is that the egg was on its' side for awhile with some windows busted out and it has been mostly gutted. Now, it is priced well within our comfort zone, BUT the guy has told us there is water damage, a slight musty smell, and some stress fractures on outside, etc. (besides being gutted) Thus, making a 7 hour drive sound less and less fabulous. But the price he is asking does leave us some wiggle room for update/repair, so....
So I thought I would throw it out there in case there is some kind soul who lives nearby and is familiar enough with casitas to check it out and give us a thumbs up to make the drive...
Thanks, I know this is asking A LOT and I feel kind of dumb even posting it. But I guess you can see how desperate we are becoming.
sdsjdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, there's no way I'd consider purchasing a trailer that's "was on its' side for awhile with some windows busted out and it has been mostly gutted." But, that's just me. YMMV

I guess you're looking for a trailer that may need a total rebuild, frame work, fiberglass repairs??

And there's NO dumb posts. Members need to always feel comfortable asking for help or questions. I hope you find the ones you seek here.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
On it's side: I would be concerned about cracked fiberglass everywhere as it was never intended to B on it's side.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
"And all the King's men could not put Humpty Dumpty back together again...."
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #5

Colorado
Thanks everyone, I am going to paste what I wrote on another forum to fill you in on the whys and what happeneds!

"Hi all,

We sure do appreciate all the great advice. We have decided to pass on this casita (sighs of relief all around right?!)

I will say the seller has actually been really honest as far as I can tell. He told me it was on it's side when he found it for sale. He got it up and moving, replaced the windows, heater, stove, tires, and took it hunting a few times with no problems. I was ready to pass until he sent me 30+ pics. But it actually looked really really surprisingly good in the pics. He included pics of all the damaged parts, etc. AND THEN he told me it was actually a lot worse in person than in the pics. I still suspect that it could be a really good deal, as he is only asking 2k. But with the water damage he mentioned and with this being our first casita and with me being the one who would be in charge of the restore, I think I could just be getting in way over my head. I think I just got so excited to even find one for sale in our price range with no bath that I didn't think it through.

To answer some of your questions though.. we do not want a bathroom b/c we need the space. We have a 4 and 2 yr old and need bunk beds. But in addition I won't like having to make/unmake/make our double beds. So a perfect cas to us would be to have the front bunks for the little ones, the side dinette that could stay a side dinette to feed the little ones, and a back double bed that can stay a back double bed all the time. We are used to camping with a pop up and prior to that we were tent campers. Never had a bathroom and never missed one at all. We boondock only so running outside or bringing the lil porta potty in on the cold nights for the little ones has always worked really well and we have never missed a bathroom at all. Don't need a fridge either, would prefer to have an ice-box, and the microwave goes without saying I guess!

Our main reason for "moving up" to a casita is because I HATE dealing with the pop up at home. Don't even mind it when we are on the road but at home it would be so nice to be able to run out and clean it, get it ready etc whenever I felt like it, rather than making a whole procession out of it every darn time. We have a trip for march and all I keep doing is fantasizing about being able to run out and get the beds set up, stuff packed etc. just a little bit at a time, instead of having to feel all rushed because I will need to pop it up, put it back down etc... It is is DANG hard getting that stuff done with a 4 and 2 yr old so I think this would make life so much easier! Not to mention getting there, unhitching, putting down the jacks and just opening the door! Aaaaahhhhh!

And our price range is only about 4k-ish so that definitely does not help our cause!

We had considered finding one with a bath and converting but everything I have read on the forums says DON'T! When I called to talk to the sales people at casita about whether it was possible, they literally gasped when I said it!

Hope that explains the desperation when we found this one in NE! "
Old 11-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #6

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
I can totally relate to what you want. We don't have the small kids but just moved up from a pop up( and it is so easy to get into the trailer to do "stuff" w/out having to set it up) Having a bed set up to just crawl into at the end of the day is what it is all about. Almost always boondock-don't need no bathroom or shower-maybe a portapotty for the little ones at nite would be good. If you don't do off season camping would the available picnic table at almost all campsites make the extra dinette unnecessary so you could be happy with a table /dinette and front bunk? Many FG trailers will fit that bill-13's and larger. If it is nice you want to be outside and just use the trailer for a bedroom and maybe some cooking-unexpected inclement weather and you can always set the table up for inside eating and the kids bunks are still available for an earlier bedtime. Best of luck finding what you want or what you need.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #7

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid Larsen View Post
I can totally relate to what you want. We don't have the small kids but just moved up from a pop up( and it is so easy to get into the trailer to do "stuff" w/out having to set it up) Having a bed set up to just crawl into at the end of the day is what it is all about. Almost always boondock-don't need no bathroom or shower-maybe a portapotty for the little ones at nite would be good. If you don't do off season camping would the available picnic table at almost all campsites make the extra dinette unnecessary so you could be happy with a table /dinette and front bunk? Many FG trailers will fit that bill-13's and larger. If it is nice you want to be outside and just use the trailer for a bedroom and maybe some cooking-unexpected inclement weather and you can always set the table up for inside eating and the kids bunks are still available for an earlier bedtime. Best of luck finding what you want or what you need.
thank you! I was beginning to think I was crazy for not wanting a bathroom!
Old 11-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Only asking $2K? That seems high. I was able to get mine for $2500 and the only thing it needed was a new hot water heater. Better deals are out there with less work required. Is the no-bathroom thing a must-have or is it desired because it knocks down the price a bit?

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #9

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan L. View Post
Only asking $2K? That seems high. I was able to get mine for $2500 and the only thing it needed was a new hot water heater. Better deals are out there with less work required. Is the no-bathroom thing a must-have or is it desired because it knocks down the price a bit?
crazy, I haven't seen ANY used ones even close to 2k! Really nothing under 5k. Guess I better keep looking. we do not want a bathroom b/c of what i mentioned above, need sleeping space...
Old 11-22-2011, 05:38 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Jen, you're going to have a tough time. A trailer of this size without a bathroom is illusive. It's even harder this time of year. Those in the northern states have probably winterized their trailers and it's doubtful they'd want to de-winterize just so someone could look and contemplate a buy. Not to say it wouldn't happen... just not likely. Try again in the Spring... looking judiciously. Along with here and the CasitaForum and CasitaClub... where I see you're posting the same thing, be sure to check out: Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Good luck in the egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I agree with others, $2 thousand sounds like way to much for a Casita that has been on it's side............

Promise there are ones out there. But I have to ask, which model has front bunks? I have never even heard of a front bunk Casita........
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:09 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
But I have to ask, which model has front bunks? I have never even heard of a front bunk Casita.
I have seen several. I think there were 3 at the Lake Casitas rally last year (2010). The Casita Spirit/Freedom/Liberty/Patriot "Deluxe" (bathroom) has become so ubiquitous that we forget that a "Standard" version (front bunks) exists. The most common is the Casita Spirit Standard, which sleeps 5 with the side dinette, or 6 with the side bunks. One of our Texas members had a Casita Liberty Standard, IIRC.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #13

Name: Ken
Trailer: 19' Scamp
Nebraska
I am about 40 miles from Kearney, and would take a look at it for you, but agree 2K for a wrecked project trailer is a bit steep.
On the other hand I am looking for a unit like that for a project of my own.. Damage doesn't concern me but 2K does.
Regardless I would be willing to look at it for you , or if you are totally disinterested in it, may try and work a price for myself..
Your call.
PM me if you would
Earl E. November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #14

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
The (bathroom) has become so ubiquitous that we forget that a "Standard" version (front bunks) exists. The most common is the Casita Spirit Standard, which sleeps 5 with the side dinette, or 6 with the side bunks. One of our Texas members had a Casita Liberty Standard, IIRC.

Your right, I now remember seeing a few around. The bathroom get's in the way (cause I would never own a Rv without, so I automatically think bathroom model. Thanks, Frederick!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita
Registry
I just bought a 16' for under $1500 at a government sealed bid sale in ND. It is a 1994 model Casita. It needs some work but nothing major, mostly a good cleaning, a new air conditioner (not roof type) & a roof vent replacement. I will be picking it up tomorrow. If you want a good deal like that check the military bases in your state. Find the outdoor recreation "business". Most large military bases have campers and other stuff to rent to the military people. Now and then they will sell older ones and buy new ones. Casitas seem to be a popular brand to have for rent at the bases but not always. Now I will be selling my 1992 13' Patriot. It doesn't have a bath/shower either.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #16

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
I just bought a 16' for under $1500 at a government sealed bid sale in ND. It is a 1994 model Casita. It needs some work but nothing major, mostly a good cleaning, a new air conditioner (not roof type) & a roof vent replacement. I will be picking it up tomorrow. If you want a good deal like that check the military bases in your state. Find the outdoor recreation "business". Most large military bases have campers and other stuff to rent to the military people. Now and then they will sell older ones and buy new ones. Casitas seem to be a popular brand to have for rent at the bases but not always. Now I will be selling my 1992 13' Patriot. It doesn't have a bath/shower either.
thanks for info! Did you have to search for yours you just bought or did they advertise it somewhere easy to find?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:49 AM   #17

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Gene,
Did you receive a title to the Casita? Often government vehicles don't have one.

Tags
casita