Anyone seen an Eggcamper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Does anyone out there have any info on an Egg camper 17'. Only been built for a couple of years and according to the factory only about 50 in existence.
I like they way they look and they are an alternative to Scamp/Casita.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Are you talking about this one.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bet Joel is talking about this one: The Egg Camper
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Bet Joel is talking about this one: The Egg Camper
DONNA D is is right.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
Does anyone out there have any info on an Egg camper 17'. Only been built for a couple of years and according to the factory only about 50 in existence.
a little too 'hospital' on the inside... Almost like one of those european outhouses that secretly pressure washes itself after you leave...

When I'm camping, I'm looking for 'warm' and 'cozy'.

None of that pesky ensolite to deal with thouse.
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 84 13 ft Sunline (stickbuilt)
Quote:

Yep, we live 10 miles from this place. They look nice but are more than I would want to pay....
Kevin & Georgetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:27 AM   #7

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
At least they got the seam right way 'round!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:05 AM   #8
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I haven't seen one in person, but I have talked extensively with Jim, the guy who makes them. He seems to be a great person, and he developed the Egg Camper based on what the others lacked that he wanted - like ease of use and big enough to move around in for those who aren't as agile nor petite as others. Everything seems to be way more accessible than in many of the others. I think it's definitely worth a consideration.

I think the price is right in line with what you get. I have given it very careful consideration and had hoped to make a trip out to see them at the end of May, but I had something come up that prevented it.

Although I have yet to find the perfect egg to replace mine, this one comes pretty close. It has a 12V compressor style refrigerator which I thought was a downfall, but I'm beginning to believe that it actually might be a plus. A small solar panel or generator should allow for boondocking as they don't draw much power and they are WAY more efficient and effective than the gas absorbtion type. My other concern was the air conditioner's location. It is under one of the side dinette seats. I have decided that these two issues would not prevent me from getting one should I decide to buy a new one.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I haven't seen one in person, but I have talked extensively with Jim, the guy who makes them. He seems to be a great person, and he developed the Egg Camper based on what the others lacked that he wanted - like ease of use and big enough to move around in for those who aren't as agile nor petite as others. Everything seems to be way more accessible than in many of the others. I think it's definitely worth a consideration.
That was exactly the sort of thinking that started the LiteHouse, once made in New Mexico. The originators were tent campers who were starting to get old enough that they didn't want to crawl into a ground tent anymore, so they built fiberglass trailers with sleeping platforms inside, then started putting in 'stuf' because buyers wanted it.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:46 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
a little too 'hospital' on the inside... Almost like one of those european outhouses that secretly pressure washes itself after you leave...

When I'm camping, I'm looking for 'warm' and 'cozy'.
That's a basic 'feature' of double-shell Eggs, like Burro and U-Haul; the inside is fiberglass.

However, one does have the option of covering the walls and ceiling with ratfur or something else to change it, whereas with a ratfur/ensolite rig, tearing it all out leaves one with the spikey side of fiberglass...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
When i first seen it a while back i wasn't sure ..... but now that i look closer i see there are no rivets outside to pop or leak (means alot to me)and no rat fur inside......... just a smooth fiberglass inside for easy cleanup and the bed looks pretty large but can't be sure until i get some specs. it needs to be a little higher in the back for me to clear any bad dips and not quite sure about the fridge yet as i still like propane. i'm gonna keep an eye on this one. Think i'll call the company and request a catalog and will post whatever i find.
Joe

Update..... Called the company today and spoke with a Jim Baulmer... really nice to talk to and the specs on the build are really well thought out with quality products. the bed size is a decent 53w x 84L .... the carpet is removable for easy cleaning and the floor is wood encased in fiberglass. i asked him why not all fiberglass and he says it's a stress issue and would crack easier if all fiberglass. still have to look up the fridge as it's DC only and he says it draws about 2 amps... gave me a model number of Norcold 0040 DC only... forgot to ask if it could be upgraded. will post more when i receive specs from them. He also told me they get it out the door at 2000lbs with a hitch weight of 250lbs
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Funny this post happened to pop up at me under the "view new posts" button.

I just took a tour through one of these jobs this afternoon at a local Rv place thats going to try and take them on and it was quite a surprise. The one I saw was a 2006 but brand new. We own a 1999 Casita that we've had for 4 yrs and absolutely love it. I've seen the eggcamper here in pictures only and was somewhat intrigued. Seeing a real one up close and personal was a treat and I was quite surprised at the quality. The first thing I noticed was the spaciousness inside with its aisle width and white walls and being 88 inches wide as opposed to the 78 inches of my Casita. You would probably need extension mirrors even with a full size vehicle. This trailer would be a mod makers dream it has a lot of open storage space that is just begging for shelves etc. the seats sit high in the bed position. The bath needs a door, the fridge was about the size of the Casita 16'.
Although it seems to have the same exterior door that the Casita 17' has there was no screen door on it. The A/C is mounted on the front side of the body and exits under the front dinette seat. The outside appearance gives a very neat look with there being no pop rivets on the surface and the 2 halves joined together similar to the Burro camper, its about the same price as a Casita without being a Casita. Would I buy one???, I'm not ready to give up my Casita as yet. Oh yeah, almost forgot, the bath has no sink which doesn’t bother me, but, the cushions were toooo thin so you would definitely want a permanent mattress.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:21 PM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Bill,

Did you notice if it was true double shell, ala Burro?

Or is it a hybrid of sorts? Molded furniture onto a single wall.

Never been quite able to figure this out from the pics or the website descriptions.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:30 PM   #14

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Gina, In some areas it looked 100% double wall but then when I looked into the closet (Drivers side front) I saw the insulation that was between the two supposed shells so, to be honest I'm not sure.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #15

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Burros do that too. The backs of the furniture openings are not sealed in, so there are a few spots that are not close to each other.. but I guess technically, still double walled. The walls are just a foot or two apart from each other

Thats interesting. Gives us double shell fanatics a NEW trailer to choose from then!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:49 PM   #16

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
"...still have to look up the fridge as it's DC only and he says it draws about 2 amps... gave me a model number of Norcold 0040 DC only... forgot to ask if it could be upgraded. "

This fridge IS the upgrade. These things are SO much better than the propane/electric models. They cool quickly and cold, they can run off-level, they don't have to have nearly the venting, they don't blow out in a high wind, there are no issues with gas stations, and you can leave it running when parked without killing your battery. They run for days on a battery, and automatically switch over to shore power when it is available. If I were ordering a new Scamp or Casita, I would specify one of these fridges as an upgrade. I put one in OSMO, and would never go back.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:31 PM   #17

Trailer: 17 ft 2005 Freedom Deluxe Casita
We stopped to see the Egg Camper on our trip to Michigan. The outside is very impressive but the inside was a real disappointment. The overhead cabinets, few as their were, are very small and lined with the space blanket material seamed with silver duck tape. The seats were lower than a Casita and the cushions were very thin with low quality material. If you want a microwave you can get one mounted with metal brackets hanging down to hold it in place. The owner was very nice but told us he purchased a dozen microwaves for $35.00 each from Wal-Mart. I think he should have left that information out.

Marketing is all about weight and not interior quality. Pressed flooring, which was sealed and you can purchase a rug that fits the floor plan and can be removed, similar to a throw rug but fits the entire flooring. He had a carpet floor wall to wall rug in one of the trailers and it was creeping all over the little time we were in it. Again the rug material was of very poor quality and with one washing I can see it shrinking and no longer fitting wall to wall. The refrigerator was smaller than the 16ft Casita’s with a freezer the size of less than a ˝ gallon ice cream container. You can get the Egg Camper with shore power or battery power but not both. The air conditioner was placed under the seat and blows directly towards the outside door and not into the trailer. No outside step, no screen door, no window in the outside door, no venting of the refrigerator from the outside, no bathroom door, extra would be a folding bathroom Plexiglas see through door.

I did like the design of having the sink first when you entered and not having the refrigerator cabinet blocking the enterance view when you walk in like on the Casita design. This did give it a more open look but then again it was very bare and plain on the inside.

IMO: the outside is of first quality but the inside is far from quality. You even have to purchase a board (pressed wood is what he showed us) to go across the back seat if you want to make the back seats into a bed. The cabinet doors and table are pine and look really cheap, no handles or locks on the cabinets for traveling.

I believe this guy has the beginning of a good trailer but light weight is not the only factor, interior quality would help pick up his business. I will say that the shell was very strong and in my opinion better than the Casita in strength. The price was very high for what you were getting with many add-on's that made it even higher than a 17ft Casita.

Glad we took the time to see it and made us appreciate the interior quality and extras we have in our Casita.
Terrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:50 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
... no venting of the refrigerator from the outside..
Propane-fueled refrigerators need outside venting for the combustion exhaust. A purely electric refrigerator in a trailer does not need outside venting any more than the one in your house... and in my opinion the elimination of two huge openings in the outside shell is one advantage of this type of refrigerator.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #19

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
I vented the shore power fridge I put into the PlayPac. It wasn't that there was anything dangerous coming off the thing - it just had a tendency to pour hot air out the back.

That was an older fridge though - I'm not sure the new ones get so hot in the back.

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:07 PM   #20

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
It is true that the heat from the 'fridge needs to go somewhere. In cool weather it is the heat you want and would run a furnace to replace if you vent it outside, but we more commonly camp in hot weather so there is a reason to send it outside... however, that means pumping heat out of the trailer with the refrigerator, which will then run more and take more energy if outside is warmer than inside.

The extreme in sophistication would be automatically controlled dampers to send vent flow inside or out to suit the temperatures, and of course a thermostatically controlled fan... next project, Per?

I suppose you need to match your camping conditions, but the lack of outside venting by itself is not, in my opinion, a fault.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper