Anyone Towing with Van? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #21

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Here's the reasons I'm considering a cargo van:
  • Tow Parkliner
  • Roof space for solar panels
  • Room to carry bike, tent, inflatable boat, etc.
  • Less stuff I have to carry in trailer
  • Likely will be moving and can use van
  • Haul home repair stuff
  • May sell trailer in a couple of years and just use van as RV
  • My Blazer is a 1996.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:52 PM   #22

Name: gone
Trailer: gone
gone
I tow with a tall van - a Ram Promaster. I am very happy with it and have driven coast to coast, BC to Florida and then some. Surprisingly nimble, I choose it over my Subaru Outback for quality of driving experience. Gas mileage is 19 mph or so on the highway and much lower pulling a trailer - in the 10 to 13 range.

Specs are that the tow capability is 5100 lbs. Will easily pull my new casita. Many people convert these to camper vans - they are over 6 feet wide so beds can run sideways. These vans have been sold for 30 years in Europe as the Ducatto and have 75 percent of the campervan (or caravan) share because of their reputation.

Much more here: Ram Promaster Forum
stonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:04 PM   #23

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I'm thinking of getting a van to pull my Parkliner. I haven't been able to find any info on how much it would effect mpg.

I get about 14 mpg towing with my Blazer, and I would like to not drop below that. The Blazer is 20+ years old and I just need a more comfortable tow vehicle.

Does anyone have any idea how much towing a fiberglass trailer affects mpg of a van?
We towed our 17' Casita with a full size 2002 Chevy conversion van with a 350. We lost about 3-4 mpg with the trailer. We got about 18 without trailer and 14-15 with the trailer. Only drive about 59 MPH because the instructions from Casita are to increase tire pressure if driving up to 65 but we are not comfortable doing that. If you drive 65 or over you are driving dangerously. We used to pull the trailer with a 2002 Trailblazer with a 4.2 and before that a 1993 Blazer. Our experience is the same as yours for gas mileage. We now use a 2013 Yukon XL and it pulls the trailer like a dream and gets about 14-16MPG. It has a ton of passenger space and cargo space and is built for the weight.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:43 AM   #24

Virginia
Thanks everyone. I'm leaning towards a Ford Transit if I can find a low mileage 2015 or 2016 at the right price.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'd look for one with the 3.5L Ecoboost engine. I think that's your best option for performance and fuel economy.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #26

Registry
I use a Chrysler Town & Country. 3600lbs of towing capacity. I put the stow-n-go seats down and have lots of storage for gear. It has the towing package. I get between 14.5-18 mpg depending on conditions and speed. I usually tow between 60-65mph. It has a 225 hp engine so plenty of power. I have a 16' Scamp.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:07 AM   #27

Virginia
Back to the drawing board.

I was finally ready to pull the trigger and buy a 2016 or 2017 Ford Transit. I'm finding few to none that have the tow package.

There also are problems with the tow control module and the wiring seems to be difficult. E-trailer sells the parts and has an install guide, but I'm still not comfortable with it.

What's surprising to me is an older Econoline (2012) costs almost as much as a 2016/2017 Transit (not Transit Connect).
Old 01-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #28

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Check to make sure that the towing package can be added outside of the factory.
The dealers can easily add the mechanical parts, but many Fords require the trailer modules added at the factory and cannot be retrofitted.
Usually the towing ratings require that the modules and the programming be done on the production line.
Be sure to check, but don;t trust the dealers most have no idea of what is required for towing.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #29

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Update,
We have now towed our Scamp13D over a thousand miles,in all sorts of weather including sever thunderstorms, high winds and heavy rains.
Truth is, there is no such thing as enough power but we experienced more than adequate acceleration and the combo maintains cruising speed even on steep grades.
Stability is great in all conditions. Average fuel economy has been about 21.6 MPG at 60mph

The hatch works fine since we are careful to place the gear near the back which only needs access when the trailer is detached.
The van eclipses the trailer so well that the front of the trailer stays dry.
I rebalanced the trailer and reduced the tongue weight. and I must have hit the sweet spot as the combo is a pleasure to drive.
We are getting ready for Sebring and look forward to a pleasant drive.
Monteagle report to follow...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #30

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Update,
We have now towed our Scamp13D over a thousand miles,in all sorts of weather including sever thunderstorms, high winds and heavy rains.
I wish the Transit Connect had a towing capacity of 3500. Ford would sell even more of them if it did.

I have a ParkLiner so I need 3500 and I feel better at 5000, which is why I was looking at the Transit.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #31

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
2007 Chevy Uplander - Trillium 4500

We changed our tow vehicle last spring 2017 from a Buick to a used low mileage 2007 Chevy Uplander and did some tweaks to it to make her last another 100,000 plus km , A lot cheaper than buying a new van $$$$$ at today's prices . Lots of power for a mini van 3.9L and peppy ,240 hp at 6000 rpm V6 engine . I added some air shocks in the rear .
We went to near by campsite at Oak Island ,Nova Scotia from Belleville ,Ontario last summer at about 20 mpg .Our Trillium4500 Trailer was easy to pull up and down the hills in New Brunswick with ease . We were loaded to the max with all our junk in the van and some in the trailer , bikes , spare deep cycle batteries on and on . The back seats do come out for less weight plus comes in handy to convert into what ever you want in the back like an extra bed or cupboards , shelves . I make sure everything is tied down in the van when we are travelling. Chevy Uplander tow capacity is 3500 lbs .
If you bought an old clunker like our van .
So your trailer is 2300 lbs. dry weight , your allowed 1200 lbs extra cargo weight .
Old 01-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #32

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Back to the drawing board.

I was finally ready to pull the trigger and buy a 2016 or 2017 Ford Transit. I'm finding few to none that have the tow package.

There also are problems with the tow control module and the wiring seems to be difficult. E-trailer sells the parts and has an install guide, but I'm still not comfortable with it.

What's surprising to me is an older Econoline (2012) costs almost as much as a 2016/2017 Transit (not Transit Connect).
We towed with a full size 2002 Chevy van with a V-8 for years and it was wonderful. We got about 14-16 MPG towing.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #33

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I wish the Transit Connect had a towing capacity of 3500. Ford would sell even more of them if it did.

I have a ParkLiner so I need 3500 and I feel better at 5000, which is why I was looking at the Transit.
All it would need is a 2.0L Ecoboost 4CYL. which would bolt right in.
The Parkliner is a nice trailer and a nice size,but it is quite a bit larger heavier and taller than a Scamp13.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:05 PM   #34

Virginia
I did it finally. A 2016 Ford transit.

Just ordered brake controller, hitch, wiring harness, and 4 to 7 pin adapter. I'm going to try to install hitch, but probably will get someone else to do the wiring.

Lots of work to do. Eventually I want to insulate and convert van for camping, but for now just need it to lug my stuff around when towing my ParkLiner.

I bought an electric bike so I need to buy or build a ramp to make it easier to get the bike in and out of the van. Also need a clever way to secure it inside the van to take up as little space as possible.

It's nice sitting up so high in the Transit. Even though it is considerably larger than my old Blazer, I feel much more in control in the Transit.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:18 PM   #35

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Cool! Which engine and van configuration?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:29 PM   #36

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Your van may have cargo "D" rings whic are a good way to secure your bike with ratcheting cargo straps. Others may have more elegant ways.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #37

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Cool! Which engine and van configuration?
2016 Ford Transit 250
3.7 V6 Flex Fuel
Low Roof (Couldn't find a medium)
Attached Thumbnails
transit.jpg  
Old 02-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
A friend of mine towed a Scamp 16 to Alaska & back with a Toyota Sienna van. (I towed my Escape 17 with a RAV4 on the same trip. No problems for either of us.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote