Anyone travel and camp with cats? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-11-2015, 07:18 PM   #15
Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
We plan on taking our cat in our travels, but are trying to figure where to put the litter box. Not really a good place that's out of the way. She was a feral cat that showed up at our place, then had a bunch of kittens in the barn. We had to catch her in a live animal trap to take her to get fixed, she was that wild. Then next winter we were feeding her in the shop, and the next winter she was in the house sitting on our laps. Now that's her favorite place to lay.

Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:08 AM   #16
Name: Bizzian
Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Because we made the dining table into a permanent bed (we turned the front couch into a 3-way table for 2/couch/bunk beds) in our 13' boler, we just cleared out a spot right at the front area under the bed for the litter box. Mookie-wilson manages just fine there. Our tow vehicle is a Subaru Forester, so the travel box rides in the back hatch area, but in our other car, we have a smaller travel litter box that rides in the rear seat wheel-well.
We used to put the box outside when he was out there, but since he is so good at letting us know when he wants in, we just leave it inside. If we have our pop-up dining tent set up and pegged down and he is going to be outside all day, then we might put it out there.
Good luck and happy camping.
Attached Thumbnails
bed with extension shoved in underneath.jpg   2007 bolerama our boler inside.jpg  

Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:10 AM   #17
Name: Bizzian
Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
PS: Good job with the feral cat. That can be a real challenge. Our old fellow was an abandoned that we rescued so although he was very skittish in the beginning, he adapted really quickly.
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #18
Name: Noreen
Trailer: 1981 4500 Trillium
My 19-yr. old Manx has travelled everywhere with me. He doesn't seem to mind being on the road and he certainly appears to enjoy all the loving attention he gets when we arrive.

I drive an Escape and with a portion of the back seat laying down, a good-sized dog crate sits very well there. All Bobby's 'comfort's of home' are in the crate...his food, water, bed and a smaller litter box. This helps to keep the bits and pieces of litter, food, etc from scattering throughout the vehicle. And it means I don't have to worry about him inadvertantly slipping out when I stop for gas or getting under the driver's seat to come crawling out under-foot when I'm driving. He resisted a little when I first set up this alternative to his having free rein of the car but he has got use to it now and sleeps comfortably while I drive. Or sometimes he just sits up and watches out the windows.

Bobby was already an senior cat when he started travelling with me. I felt he had got to old to be left at home in a kennel or with a cat-sitter. I worried about his health while I was away so decided we'd try this and he seems quite content to just be along.

I tow a 4500 Trillium with a front dinette so the bed is made up permanently. Bobby's litter-box in kept out of sight (and smell) under the street-side bench, under the bed. Fortunately, I have an outsde access door to this area and can attend to daily cleaning from the outside. The drop-down hatch on the inside keeps it accessible to Bobby.

Since I am often travelling by myself, having my cat along for company and entertainment adds to my pleasure immensely. He never argues, loves to snuggle at bedtime and is just about the perfect companion.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1669.jpg   IMG_0779.jpg  

Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote