Anyone Traveling to See the Eclipse? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-30-2017, 10:52 PM   #57

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We'll be watching it from our home in Northern California where it will be a 75% eclipse.

Has anyone looked at this website? 5 Best Places To Camp And See The 2017 Total Solar Eclipse

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:32 AM   #58

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Well I did it! Stayed at step sons house near Knoxville, drove to Athens Tenn from there the morning of, which only took about an hour going.... and around 4 hours coming back. Was awesome, yes I took pictures. Including one of the tow vehicle being pulled up on a flat bed tow truck just outside the Cumberland Gap tunnel. The "Tennessee Welcomes You" sign was hidden by the tow truck.

Close enough for step son to bring out tow vehicle for camper, and Quality Towing of Middlesboro Ky was able to fix the Escape in time for a slightly delayed return trip but..... WE SAW IT! Right close to the center of totality, which might explain the 4 hour traffic jam leaving.

Check that off of my bucket list. Now the question is how early is too early try for early reservations to the one in 2024?

Old 08-28-2017, 11:42 AM   #59

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
We traveled with a daughter, son-in-law and 2 almost grown grandkids from the kitchen to the patio. (The daughter and her family came over the day before). We had a great view and the eclipse was TOTAL. Yard lights and street lights came on, the air temperature got about 5 cooler. Very busy but pleasant extended week-end.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:04 PM   #60

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Check that off of my bucket list. Now the question is how early is too early try for early reservations to the one in 2024?
We think alike!

I am looking at a place near the 2024 eclipse centerline. It is VERY popular campground and the choice sites often go within minutes of the nine month reservation window opening. Add the attraction of the eclipse, and the demand will be so much greater. I think I better have some backup plans!
Old 08-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #61

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
We "traveled" by walking across the street (too many trees in our yard). 99.7% here. 30 miles away it was 100% but they had rain. Ouch!
Old 08-28-2017, 01:26 PM   #62

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Our second encounter with a total eclipse--in this case, a close encounter of the partial kind.

So, it's all behind us now, the thrills, the chills (our temperature dropped over 4 degrees during the eclipse), the spills--(exaggerating. Nothing spilled).

We sat out on the patio as it began...noticed first that the shadows were odd. Shimmery, sparkly, longer than usual, darker, more distinct, maybe. The temp got colder. A bird flew into a tree. The pug girls continued to sleep on the dead grass that is our yard while the sky darkened--not as dark as a good rainstorm, though. Gradually it all went back to normal; a lot of birdsong after. The temp eventually came back up.

Cinder seemed hungrier than usual the rest of the day, but that could be my imagination.

There is no further info regarding that bird. He has been avoiding this interviewer.

In 1979 (My son was 3 1/2), I had a viewer and it was interesting...got dark, sun ring around the moon and all that...but it was a fairly quick event just as this one was. I noticed NO animal behavior other than the two Catarrhine Old World Monkeys on our property. THEY were busy trying to use the viewer properly. THAT time (totality) I'd certainly have noticed it if I were even looking outside, but I'm not sure what I'd have thought of it if I hadn't already known what it was. THIS time (definitely partial) I could have overlooked it entirely. Even the weird shadows were "colored" by my knowledge that it was a partial eclipse.

The bird has finally reported in. It said, "MEH."

So I'll agree, partial and total are like "rainy day" and "brief night."

BEST
Kai