Anyone Traveling to See the Eclipse? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #21

Name: OnTheRoadAgain
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Lightbulb So?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
To reiterate:
Oliver Elite2

I know, right?!? Yeah, so they say!
Not being jaded here but I'm thinking OK so there's supposed to be an eclipse.
And get excited about it?
Why? When? and Where?

About as far as I have taken it.

| 2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II | 2016 Toyota Tundra |
Oliver_Elite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:15 PM   #22

Tennessee
Unhappy Wouldn't you know it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Elite2 View Post
About as far as I have taken it.
OK so I looked it up.
And by golly we will have traveled somewhere from home during August 21. Topsail Hill, FL.

But wouldn't you know here in Knoxville we could have viewed the total eclipse.

Oooo the irony of it all!
We are actually traveling away from it.

From what I remember as a kid we were warned not to look at it without one of those cardboard tubey thingies with a pin hole in it. Dare to look at it directly we would go blind. At least that's what our parents said.

Anyone told that?

Solar eclipse of August 21, 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_...ugust_21,_2017

1 Visibility
2 Related eclipses over the United States
3 Total eclipse viewing events

Ah well. We will be thinkin' of yall viewers as we slip Margaritas on the sugar white sand beach of the Gulf.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:12 PM   #23

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
For those of us who aren't going to be able to see it first-hand, the Science Channel has been running "blurbs" that it will be covering the eclipse with a live presentation, airing on August 21. There is also some additional information on it in the link below.

https://corporate.discovery.com/disc...day-august-21/
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #24

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Thanks!
Old 07-23-2017, 07:13 PM   #25

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Partial eclipse and total eclipse is a day-and-night difference (pun intended), say those who have witnessed it. That is why it is on so many bucket lists.

You can only look directly when the Sun is behind the Moon, even a sliver will blind you. The reward for traveling to see the totality is the direct view of the corona and prominences on the edge, which can only be observed with expensive gear otherwise. There are other related phenomena to be observed, e.g. animal behavior, edge of the shadow bands, etc.

I recommend this to anybody who is reasonably close, but it is reassuring that we are not going to have everybody in the US crowded into a 70 mile wide strip across the country!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #26

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Originally I was going to camp at Land Between the Lakes, but as we will be on the Oregon coast for the eclipse. Not camping; flying.
We are doing the same thing. I booked the trip last year before learning of the eclipse. Anyone viewing in Portland OR? We could have a FGRV meet and greet for the event.

Peg
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:49 AM   #27

Tennessee
Thumbs up Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
For those of us who aren't going to be able to see it first-hand, the Science Channel has been running "blurbs" that it will be covering the eclipse with a live presentation, airing on August 21. There is also some additional information on it in the link below.

https://corporate.discovery.com/disc...day-august-21/
Sounds interesting. Obviously I was joking. Sounds like it would be a good idea even if we aren't in the total eclipse zone to check it out on the Science Channel. (That is if the campground cable carries it or you can pick it up on the portable satellite connection).

Hope the solar eclipse is as spectacular as anticipated by traveling in the zonal band.

Happy camping everyone on August 21st wherever you are.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:57 AM   #28

Tennessee
Great details Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Partial eclipse and total eclipse is a day-and-night difference (pun intended), say those who have witnessed it. That is why it is on so many bucket lists.

You can only look directly when the Sun is behind the Moon, even a sliver will blind you. The reward for traveling to see the totality is the direct view of the corona and prominences on the edge, which can only be observed with expensive gear otherwise. There are other related phenomena to be observed, e.g. animal behavior, edge of the shadow bands, etc.

I recommend this to anybody who is reasonably close, but it is reassuring that we are not going to have everybody in the US crowded into a 70 mile wide strip across the country!
So were my parents right I would go blind without a tube viewer?

I noted as in the case of Knoxville, TN that our University of Tennessee has set up a viewing station at top of their Science Building using their strong telescope. Bet it will be crowded with those want to see the full eclipse.

We can all say we were alive at least this during this event.
Life is good camping wherever you are.
Camping is our number one item on our Bucket List. Staying home all the time? Not so much.
Happy campin' yall! Throw a party (assembly) of rejoicing in the campgrounds.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:40 AM   #29

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
I'm heading to Alberta to get married that week. My bachelor "party" is mountain climbing in the days before. Me and some friends are hoping to be on a summit to take it in. It will be about 77% but should still be a cool experience.
ChrisDunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:51 AM   #30

Tennessee
Chris.

Congratulations! Great bachelor party! Remember Who to thank.
Should be a spectacular reminder for us all.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:59 AM   #31

Name: Roger
Trailer: Escape
Colorado
Alliance, NE

We're headed to Alliance, NE. Reserved our spot 01/01/17. The town is pulling out all the stops! We will be dry camping at the Toadstock music festival over the weekend.
Rog Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #32

Tennessee
Music fills the air :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog Mich View Post
Toadstock music festival over the weekend.
Is that like Woodstock? Didn't make it there personally.... dating myself here I was old enough but Momma let me go? Not.

Nashville most likely here will have Dollyish country music, Gospel, and bluegrass. Dollywood sure will. Pretty close to the full zone on viewing. Would be a great view on top of our mountains here.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to hear Amazing Grace country style for sure. The Creator blessed us muchly here with His spectacular scenery. He doesn't like "religion" which is ritualization. He is Love look around.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #33

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
We are doing the same thing. I booked the trip last year before learning of the eclipse. Anyone viewing in Portland OR? We could have a FGRV meet and greet for the event.

Peg
I believe Portland in North of the total eclipse path.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #34

Name: Julie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Smile Land Between the Lakes

Headed to Land Between the Lakes. Looks like they have a planetarium there and some special activities. Hoping for clear skies!!
Then 3 days in Nashville and another 3 days in Alabama (little River Canyon).
Life is good (those are my eclipse glasses)
Julie and Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #35

Name: Roger
Trailer: Escape
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Elite2 View Post
Is that like Woodstock? Didn't make it there personally.... dating myself here I was old enough but Momma let me go? Not.

Nashville most likely here will have Dollyish country music, Gospel, and bluegrass. Dollywood sure will. Pretty close to the full zone on viewing. Would be a great view on top of our mountains here.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to hear Amazing Grace country style for sure. The Creator blessed us muchly here with His spectacular scenery. He doesn't like "religion" which is ritualization. He is Love look around.

Yes, like Woodstock but without Country Joe and the Fish or Ten Years after!! Peace, love, and mud!! Hopefully no mud though, we want clear skies
Rog Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:19 PM   #36

Name: AvisJo
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Heading to Corvalis Oregon

Last January we made reservations for the Benton Oaks RV Park, thinking it would be fun to visit our friends in Corvalis and see the eclipse at the same time. Now we are hearing about the crowds and predicted traffic problems etc. Never even thought about that. Our friends are advising us it is probably best to watch the event from the Fairgrounds where we are camping! We will see them when things hopefully calm down...
We bought some inexpensive "eclipse glasses" from Amazon. Anyone know if that is adequate to actually see anything, or what should we be using??
Thanks.
Avis & Lare
Edgewood, WA
Avisjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:17 PM   #37

Tennessee
No mud please

Quote:
Yes, like Woodstock but without Country Joe and the Fish or Ten Years after!! Peace, love, and mud!! Hopefully no mud though, we want clear skies
Ah you better watcchit should you come down here... there are actually NO JOKE redneck campouts just for mud wrestling HA!

Oh my cousin said they have them in Ohio too (around Logan closeby Hocking Hills State Park). So I guess redneckiness has no boundaries.

We spent 2 muddy nights at Mud Hollow (Fall Hollow) in Hohenwald on our Oliver shake out. Have pix of it in album.

NO more mud for us.
Minimum is gravel.

Paved even better. With some grass on the side of course.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #38
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisjo View Post
Last January we made reservations for the Benton Oaks RV Park, thinking it would be fun to visit our friends in Corvalis and see the eclipse at the same time. Now we are hearing about the crowds and predicted traffic problems etc. Never even thought about that. Our friends are advising us it is probably best to watch the event from the Fairgrounds where we are camping! We will see them when things hopefully calm down...
We bought some inexpensive "eclipse glasses" from Amazon. Anyone know if that is adequate to actually see anything, or what should we be using??
Thanks.
Avis & Lare
Edgewood, WA
AvisJo - We bought ours from Amazon and tried them on looking directly at the sun. They are amazing how they block everything out, but you can see the sun without any problems! All set for the 21st. Just hope we're not going to have rain that day!!!!!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:53 PM   #39

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I got a 10-pack of name brand specs (American Paper Optics) on Amazon. They came today. They say right on them to not look thru them at direct sun for more than 3 min straight, but intermittent viewing over a longer period is ok.

Any time there is even just a little bit of direct sun peeking over one edge of the moon, like a bright diamond shining, one must use the specs. A 1-2 minute period of full eclipse will occur in the pathway, during which one may safely view without protective specs. My son says stars should be visible at that time, too.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:26 PM   #40

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
We're headed to Alliance, NE. Reserved our spot 01/01/17. The town is pulling out all the stops! We will be dry camping at the Toadstock music festival over the weekend.
A little over a year ago we stopped in Alliance to see Carhenge (a fun place to see!) and they had posters at the ticket desk announcing a big party on 8/21/17. The places on the path are trying to make the best of it. I'll be looking for a place on a back road, hopefully away from any big crowds.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote