Anyone use those AirTabs to decrease drag?? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #1

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
Anyone use those AirTabs to decrease drag??

I get RV Travel newsletter in my inbox every Saturday and they have always got an advertisement for AirTabs. These are purported to decrease drag from the wind as well as increase gas mileage.

Of course, I fully understand that the vast majority of users will be drivers of large to very large RVs and or coaches. But on the testimonial page there is a comment with photo from a Casita owner.

Anyone have any experience with this product?

The one thing I don't "get" is why the Casita owner stuck his on in the middle of his sliding window!! Perhaps he doesn't open them very widely...but for me, there is no way I'd put them there (IF I were to purchase them),

Old 08-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Googled it to find out what you were talking about. Consensus on RV forums I checked is what I expected: snake oil.

Best way to decrease wind drag is to slow down.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #3

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
Yes...I think so, too. See the ad each week as I read thru the newsletter...and just wondered about the validity. Most testimonials posted spout increased gas mileage of only less than 1 mpg. Questionable value at best. The concept of decreasing wind drag and/or the push when being passed by a large tractor trailer isn't an issue for our trailer. Being a 13'er we don't often find much push at all.

But...maybe others have different experiences. If so, I'd like to hear them!
Old 08-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #4

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
AirTabs are also mentioned in the Wind Deflectors thread.

Ray
Old 08-19-2017, 06:53 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: Sold 2012 Casita FD 17 - 2018 Escape 21 on Order - 2010 Audi Q5
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
I don't know that they do a tremendous amount for mileage, but they can improve stability on boxier trucks and trailers.

Part of the issue for me was that I spend limited time towing which makes recovering the up-front cost of the Air Tabs via fuel savings more elusive.

No, I don't have any links to sources to back this up. But I did spend quite a bit of time checking them out a year or two back. For what it might be worth, I spent a lot of time on sites other than RV forums such as hyper-miling forums like EcoModder.

I did a lot of this research back when I was considering converting a rectangular-backed cargo trailer into a travel trailer. (I was also considering asking if they would manufacture a "V-tail" or "Double-V" trailer as that would more aerodynamic than the V-nose configuration commonly sold. So, consider the source here; Mike is certifiably nuts! )

Anyway, our Casita has always been so stable and we tow so few miles overall that in the end I didn't figure it would be worth using Air Tabs in that particular application.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
Those things came out waaaay back in my truckin' days..they were considered snake oil...there is some possibility of advantage with a large, square/flat back trailer...not so much on a round Casita/Scamp type trailer...as always, YMMV...............
madjack
Old 08-20-2017, 09:12 AM   #7

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Does anybody have any pictures of these things?
Old 08-20-2017, 09:35 AM   #8

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
Does anybody have any pictures of these things?
All kinds on the website: Airtab | Aerodynamic Fuel Savers | Welcome
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #9

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
There may be an application on the TV for turbulator that serve to straighten the flow from the back of the TV to the front of the trailer.
There is probably more to be gained here than elsewhere.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #10

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
As a note this would work better with a boxier van than a truck.
I have been tempted to try a set on my T&C and 16 foot Scamp.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #11

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
As I read through the adds I'm reminded of the 50s and 60s and the 50 to 100 mpg carborator and the 90s hydrogen extraction from water systems. Now it's Airtabs.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Shopping
CO
Carburetor? What is that?
Old 08-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #13

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Oh ok, never seen them before but suspect they work about as good as those bug deflectors that mount on the front of the hood.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:35 PM   #14

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
The were designed to be put on the wings of airplanes....They create a small vortex which disrupts the airflow over the large surface area. By a little disruption of the airflow they help create create lift, which without an understanding of aero dynamics seems illogical. But don't worry about how it works for airplanes, just realize what that device is doing is creating lift by a localized disruption of the airstream.

You don't want to create lift on your trailer (not that it would make it actually fly up into the air ). For the best gas mileage you also want to keep the airflow smooth rather than being disrupted by a nonsensical Air Tab product.

People see things being done on airplanes without understanding why they are done and what effect they produce then copy it thinking it will help reduce mileage. This is one of those products where the maker got it all wrong. So forget about it, they are not going to save you gas money. You will be out the purchase price plus a little bit of fuel efficiency. It is indeed a scam put out by people to make a buck off of other people's lack of understanding of aerodyamics. Cheap to make...good profits..does not work as claimed because what it was designed to do makes absolutely no sense for use in a ground based vehicle. You already have enough junk disrupting the airflow without adding a feature that was originally designed for the specific purpose of disrupting airflow.