Are molded FG trailers 'green'? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #1

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Are molded FG trailers 'green'?

We all love our molded FG trailers- but are we being selfish?

I have no agenda here - just curious.
There are a lot of clever folks on here that may be able to contribute to this.

My question is - Are Molded FG trailers greener than Stick-built trailers?

What I mean by this is which one has the better carbon footprint?
Both trailer styles basically use the same appliances/running gear/systems.
Most seem to have some "wood" in the floor
The only significant build difference is the "shell"

So, does spraying gelcoat and laying up fiberglass put more Volatiles into the air than powder coating aluminum?

Since they end up "heavy" does the extra fuel burn to pull them around matter?

I really dont know.
Do you?

We know that FG lasts a lot longer so we can allow them to be less green based on their durability, but which style wins overall?

Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
The building process is not as green however once they are built fiberglass trailers win hands down.

1) They last much much longer than stick built. I would venture to say that a clear majority of fiberglass trailers are still in existence whereas stick built wear far worse and end up in landfills.

2) Fiberglass are much lighter thus require less fuel to travel with.

3) Fiberglass are much more aerodynamic also requiring less fuel.

4) Fiberglass have a smaller footprint and require less fuel to heat/cool.

I'm sure there must be more to say on this subject but I'll have to revisit the topic later.

Steve
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I think the fuel consumed while traveling long distances for pleasure far outweighs any pros or cons of green during construction.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Casita
Nebraska
My Personal opinion

How many stick trailers are trashed/recycled in one fiberglass trailers life span ! Sure fiberglass does take a LONG time to decompose if not recycled when finally it has lived its life span. The rest of either campers remains would be the same as a stick built. Also depends on size of camper compared to,
Speedbump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #5
JMS

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Registry
Most that I've seen are white
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbump View Post
How many stick trailers are trashed/recycled in one fiberglass trailers life span ! Sure fiberglass does take a LONG time to decompose if not recycled when finally it has lived its life span. The rest of either campers remains would be the same as a stick built. Also depends on size of camper compared to,
I think the fact that they tend to keep their value is a pretty good enticement for people bringing molded fiberglass trailers back to life. We all know that a fiberglass trailer would have to be pretty far gone for somebody somewhere to not be interested in a rebuild. I can't say the same about stick built trailers.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I think that FGRV trailers do have a longer lifespan. That alone can offset some of the carbon footprint versus stick built.

But I am not sure you can generalize easily. For instance are some of the components of newer trailers being made with recycled materials? Are the components installed in the trailer the most energy efficient available? Is there good insulation? That is going to vary from one company to the next.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Are molded FG trailers 'green'?

Without a definition of "green," the question is meaningless. Whoever writes the definition controls the answer. Carbon footprint is only one aspect of "greenness."

My imprecise, unscientific, and biased opinion is that molded fiberglass is a little more green than the "average" RV, where "green" is defined roughly as the aggregate of all detrimental environmental impacts- carbon output, depletion of non-renewable resources, use of toxic materials, impact on land, water, and air quality, and waste output- during production and use.

If you really want to be green, ride a bicycle and sleep in a tent.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:43 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Based on the VOCs I smelled during a factory tour, the process is definitely not green. In addition, any wood products are renewable (trees).

But when you consider total product life cycle, as others have mentioned, I have no doubt that molded FG wins the green product race.

If you want to be a green camper, then go with a tent, and drive a Prius.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS View Post
We’ve owned three and all have been white .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Based on the VOCs I smelled during a factory tour, the process is definitely not green. In addition, any wood products are renewable (trees).

But when you consider total product life cycle, as others have mentioned, I have no doubt that molded FG wins the green product race.

If you want to be a green camper, then go with a tent, and drive a Prius.
The jury is out on the Prius.
Ya wanna be most green... get the camping app for your phone, stay home and pretend to camp. Don't get too excited about it though, or you will breathe out more CO2.

I expect the least green would be those who own a Scamp13D...
Everyone else is green with envy!!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #12

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Fiberglass trailers can be green just like anything else with a little green paint!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:14 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Our fiberglass shells are made from petroleum products which come from recycled plant matter from ancient times. So since it has been recycled it is very green. The wood floor is recycled trees, the frame and steel is recycled rock, the glass is recycled sand. The only non green application in the whole trailer is the acid in the batteries. But that is recycled in acid rain which is then separated into drinking water and acid for the hippies.

Aluminium is not very green stuff, it take huge amounts of resources to make.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #14

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
We’ve owned three and all have been white . --Steve Dunham

Fiberglass trailers can be just like anything else with a little green paint! -----------------Mike

I expect the least green would be those who own a Scamp13D...Everyone else is green with envy!! --Floyd

Oh, you funny!

BESt
Kai
"K"
Old 09-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #15

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
The only non green application in the whole trailer is the acid in the batteries. But that is recycled in acid rain which is then separated into drinking water and acid for the hippies.
Do not forget that the lead acid vehicle battery in your trailer and tow vehicle is the single most recycled item in the USA with over 99% being recycled.

Maybe that $15.00 core charge should apply to a lot of other items to "Encourage" recycling!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We're basically fulltimers. Our seven months on the road we use less stuff by any measure, not that I care, but it's a reality.

Even though we travel about 25.000 miles a year that's half of what we did when we worked. As well we only own a single vehicle.

We no longer fly hardly any where. In 18 years I think we've flown 4 times. Most of the real green activists are flying all over the world to 'green' conferences. You think that they would teleconference instead of 1000'2 of people flying to Bali.

Our trailer is 17 years old, it still houses us beautifully. There's not much we own that lasts that long.

Is a Prius Green? Interesting question? Most burn gas, all use energy to be built, the electricity is overwhelming produced by oil, gas or coal. There are people on this site with trucks that will outlast a Prius.

We once saw a green RV in California on Rt 101. It was a Conestoga type wagon pulled by two horses, it had a wood stove.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I can't argue with previous replies. Granted resins and solvents play a big role in fiberglass egg shells.

But take a look at most stick builts and they also have fiberglass skins. They just aren't seamless. There's a lot of particle board in stick builts, and some in eggs too. I'm not sure whether particle board is mostly wood, or mostly glue & resins.

Ever hear of pressure treated wood? I expect there may be some in trailers as it resists rotting from decay, insects & fungus. There are various techniques all involving nasty chemicals to kill & prevent organisms.

Yes, they use similar appliances, but another post here today is about a guy repairing a furnace that is likely 40 years old. That's the life of 3 or 4 stick builts, each having new appliances.

I say green eggs are no scam. Sorry, Dr. Suess.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #18

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Here is a green trailer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180713_112311.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	124475Click image for larger version

Name:	20180713_112328.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	124476
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:04 PM   #19

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Quote:
Must've been stored indoors.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:11 PM   #20

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
And, I agree with the comment on the Prius, or any of the other electrics.

The amount of high tech equipment and materials is huge, as is the energy used to get them. And, the life time of the batteries, prior to replacement, is still a bit open.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote