Are Stick Built Small RVs going to kill fiberglass RVs? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #29

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
If one wants a good stick-built, Taylor Coach is the way to go according to my research. They are done to order, have sold out of this model year about 5 or 6 months ago and coming soon with an anniversary model. I have seen older ones on the internet and they appear to hold up. This is a small manufacturer in Canada and small manufacturers have to pay more for the components that they install in a unit. All orders are custom. I worked in the office of New Horizons just after they opened, 5 star fifth wheels, family owned & operated and at that time all units were custom, when the company sold, it became an entire different animal.

Cost is important to a lot of people as is space.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #30

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Jim Bennett, Noticed you tow with a Ford 150 EcoBoost. I have often wondered about this model. Is it a V6 ? What is it rated to tow ?...easier to ask you than to go to a Ford dealer and deal with a sales guy.

Also since you live in Alberta and own a new Escape 5.0....are there dealers for the product in Alberta or did you have to go to the factory ?
My interest in Fiberglass travel trailers is diminished by their lack of a dealer network in the USA and because of their lack of market penetration and ergo lack of used inventory for sale I fell I may never see one or have the opturnity to purchase one used. I have never bought a new travel trailer but have been lucky enough to find plenty of used conventional Travel Trailers over the last 30+ years.

I credit the Huge Supply of lightly used units to the mistakes first time buyers make in their selection. I owned my first one for one season...realized it was too small for my family and found another almost new in a few days that was much larger. Now that I am both retired and wiser with the kids gone our needs have again changed. The Bigfoot 5th wheel seems like a good choice but the asking price new is overwhelming.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:04 PM   #31

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
...The Bigfoot 5th wheel seems like a good choice but the asking price new is overwhelming.
Perhaps you meant Escape…? Bigfoot hasn't made a fifth wheel for quite a few years. If so, a base price of under $25K USD hardly seems overwhelming. The long wait is harder to swallow.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #32

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
I did mean Escape 5th wheel....and at $25,000 that is overwhelming if you consider I can buy a quality lightly used conventional 5th wheel via craigslist in my area for as little as $5,000 to $9,000 on any given day. I never buy new.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:38 PM   #33

Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
The opening post by Dex indicates one very important reason why stickies won't replace our fiberglass trailers. The trailers used as examples have "dry weights" of 3000 lbs and 3800 lbs respectively. This relegates buyers to vehicles with 5000 lb tow ratings. Many of us in the fiberglass realm want or need to tow with the family vehicle and not very many family vehicles have a 5000 lb tow rating ( admittedly there are some "family" vehicles with a 5000 lb tow rating but they are usually priced way above my pay grade ). I do realize that some of the fg trailers fall into the higher weight range but there are many fg trailers that don't require a 5000 lb rated tug. Also just an aside, the trailer referenced on page one of the thread as a 17B must be at least 21 ft in length. If you look at the interior pictures it becomes obvious that this isn't a 17 foot trailer. Lee
Old 02-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #34

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
In response to the OP's question, not really. The stickies fit a similar, but different niche in the market. I love my Scamp, and really got lucky finding it first before a suitable stickie came along. Now that "I know better" an FGRV is all I want, but there are certainly some head-turning stickies out there. We went to a smallish RV show this past weekend as my daughter has been wanting to see what the inside of motorhomes and 5th wheels looked like. I must say SOME of the units looked pretty good, and some left me wondering who would buy such. The salesmen moved off quickly when I said we currently had a Scamp, guess they knew they weren't going to sell me.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:44 PM   #35

Name: Linda
Trailer: Honey
California
They're here to stay!

Ok, Im going to jump in here with my personal views. I don't think the new rvs are going to run the fiberglass out of business, but I also don't think that the fiberglass trailers will go out of business. People have so many different ideas of what they like, what they will do with the campers and how long they want to keep them. I am the proud owner of a 13' Honey that needs a lot of work, but I don't have time right now. I think it meets my needs for future camping. That said, I have camped in a 14' stickie (1974 Aristocrat lo-liner) That was perfect for 2 adults and a preteen. I've lived in a 24' stickie (1968 Aloha travel trailer) which worked for 2 adults and 3 kids trying to attend school and work. I traveled in a 24' stickie MotorHome (1990 Ford Jamboree, which was fully self contained and had a layout perfect for taking along my elderly Mom and her dogs. Tomorrow I take will pick up a brand new Salem CruiseLite 180BH. This trailer has room for grown kids and the amenities I've come to desire, a good bed, and a bathroom. All of these choices reflect my needs at the time. My considerations were available vehicle to tow, how many kids I needed to fit, how many adults needed to fit, how long I would have the trailer, what my husband thought, how many dogs I have, and how much I was willing to tow or drive. The cost is a factor of course, and so are some of the design features in the trailers. The idea of "rat fur" is not appealing to me. It just seems like something else to get damp and mold. (my honey has ensolite) If you shop around and get a trailer at the right time of year, the stickies can be bought at a cheaper price, while fiberglass just doesn't seem to ever devalue! That's great if you're selling but not always good if you are buying. I also love the clean bright whiteness in most fiberglass trailers, but liked the old birchwood paneling as well. There are definitely advantages to both and we have to figure out what fits our needs. So, I think we will always have both. And I love viewing them all!
Old 02-10-2016, 01:11 PM   #36

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
I agree whole hearted ! I'm now traveling as a single , & find my 13 Scamp to be perfect . When I'm ready to sell , I'll have no problem .
Old 02-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #37

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
...the trailer referenced on page one of the thread as a 17B must be at least 21 ft in length. If you look at the interior pictures it becomes obvious that this isn't a 17 foot trailer.
I believe conventional manufacturers commonly designate models by cabin length, not overall length, as molded fiberglass manufacturers do. The Camplite 14DB, for example, has a box length of 15' and an overall length of nearly 19'. Go figure.

You have to be careful when making direct comparisons.

To illustrate the difference, an Escape 19 is about a foot longer than the aluminum and composite Camplite 14DB. The Escape has a base dry weight of 2600#, while the smaller Camplite has a base dry weight of 3100#. Prices are comparable in the mid $20K range USD. One difference is you can have a Camplite today.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:40 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Jim Bennett, Noticed you tow with a Ford 150 EcoBoost. I have often wondered about this model. Is it a V6 ? What is it rated to tow ?...easier to ask you than to go to a Ford dealer and deal with a sales guy.

Also since you live in Alberta and own a new Escape 5.0....are there dealers for the product in Alberta or did you have to go to the factory ?
My interest in Fiberglass travel trailers is diminished by their lack of a dealer network in the USA and because of their lack of market penetration and ergo lack of used inventory for sale I fell I may never see one or have the opturnity to purchase one used. I have never bought a new travel trailer but have been lucky enough to find plenty of used conventional Travel Trailers over the last 30+ years.

I credit the Huge Supply of lightly used units to the mistakes first time buyers make in their selection. I owned my first one for one season...realized it was too small for my family and found another almost new in a few days that was much larger. Now that I am both retired and wiser with the kids gone our needs have again changed. The Bigfoot 5th wheel seems like a good choice but the asking price new is overwhelming.
For starters, I will be towing with my truck, once I get 5.0 TA in late May.

The tow capacity of my truck for conventional bumper pull is 11,700, and for a fifith wheel 10,100.

Like my 19 before, I bought right from the factory, direct selling is all they do new.

I very much agree about there being a heck of a lot of used trailers for sale, especially stick built, by people who bought mostly on a whim thinking it would be a good idea, only to find out it is not their cup of tea. I always have said that if someone wants to find a good deal on a used trailer, to advertise at one of the many storage lots full of them.

I do agree with Jon though, that the price of a new Escape 5.0TA is not that overwhelming at all, especially from the viewpoint of you all south of the 49th. While not cheap at all, I do consider it to have good value, thus my decision to purchase.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:58 PM   #39

Arizona
Registry
Reflecting on alternative materials in non-molded fiberglass trailers…

One of the very best trailers I've ever owned was a 1974 24' Holiday Rambler: aluminum superstructure and siding, plastic honeycomb cabinetry and paneling, enclosed underbelly, ducted heat, jalousie windows all around, excellent fit and finish, very comfortable layout with twin beds, dry bath, tons of storage, and a large L-shaped kitchen. High tech for its day, there was no wood above the floor. It was 12 years old when I bought it for $2500, tight and leak-free, mechanically perfect. Everything ran like a top for the three years it was my very comfortable home.

But it took a 3/4 ton truck to move it. I never towed it, nor would I want to. Used it as a park model.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
But it took a 3/4 ton truck to move it. I never towed it, nor would I want to. Used it as a park model.
Other than two short holidays, and a couple trips to friends properties, our 24' Terry bunk model was just a cabin on our rec land, though did get lots of use there. I had a 3/4 ton, just did not prefer to tow it around a lot.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:56 PM   #41

Name: Henry
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
I don't consider my 2013 17' Casita Spirit, which I bought new, to be particularly well built; Oliver, Big Foot, and perhaps the Escape may be of higher quality, not sure, and I do like their floor plans and size. I don't much care for the "wood" cabinet doors in the Casita, etc. I would prefer a Nylon plastic door; lighter and stronger.

I think it is too small and cramped. But it is heads and shoulders above the construction methods used in other travel trailers on the market. I looked at them all: Livin Lite (shoddy construction and , frankly, depressing), Air Stream (also rather poorly constructed, if you look up close and personal, as they say. I was very surprised), wood framed like the NASH, Jayco upscale and lower end models, the list goes on. Perhaps it is the type of construction that results in the pathetic craftsmanship, fit and finish of these trailers. I was an RV salesman for a while and know what to look for.

The only non fiberglass trailer I will consider at this point is the Lance travel trailer, but I prefer the true fiberglass trailer.

My wife really likes our Casita. We are old Boy Scouters; slept in tents while the boys were growing up, and she says the Casita is a big step up. I do like the way it tows, and we rarely spend more than 4 or 5 days in one spot. So I will be keeping it for the foreseeable future...at least until I can ease my wife into something bigger.

Motorhomes and travel trailers LOOK better now than they did 20 or thirty years ago, but much of that is only skin deep. When I was a kid if you bought a new car you expected to have it back to the dealership for repair and adjustments, immediately. The RV industry is where the auto industry was in the 60's and 70's.

Even the Casita had the TV mount on backwards, which I fixed myself (but that was the only thing wrong with it).

I am waiting for someone to 3-D print a travel trailer...
Old 02-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #42

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
We own a 17 ft Casita and are generally happy with it except that it is too small and lacks storage space. We are looking for a larger trailer but the choices in larger molded fiberglass trailers are very limited. Between the high cost of fiberglass trailers , long delivery times, lack of local dealers , limited floor plans and fewer amenities
a standard trailer is probably in our future . We are approaching 70 so the supposed longer life of a fiberglass trailer is not that big of a factor .I agree that the guilty of a standard trailer is nothing to brag about but neither is the quality of many fiberglass trailers.