Are Stick Built Small RVs going to kill fiberglass RVs? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-11-2016, 10:18 AM   #57

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The Oliver website shows the dimension of the exterior trailer body as 18 ft so the interior dimension may well be in the 17 ft range.

That works out to about $3000 per ft of trailer length

Missed that... Thanks, Steve.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #58

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That's interesting, Thom. Oliver does seem to have an overbuilt frame with a longer tongue and rear bumper overhang. I suppose the double hull detracts further from interior cabin length. I wouldn't have thought 6', though.

Here's something interesting I found when I visited a few websites. All of the molded fiberglass manufacturers designate their models by overall length. Airstream does the same. Most are forthright about it in the specs, giving both overall length and interior cabin length. But two did not... Oliver and Airstream.
Jon, if you look at the floor plan page on the Oliver web site it shows dimensions of 23.5' overall, 18' cabin length and 7' width for the big Oliver.

When we were comparing the Airstream 23FB and the Oliver 23.5, I had a hard time believing both had the same cabin length. The AS seemed bigger. While it is wider, it also seemed longer. We went with the Oliver due to build quality, features and personal attention from everyone at the factory.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #59

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Jim Bennett, Thanks for all the data...the tow rating for the Ford Eco-Boost is impressive indeed !

Many new to RV travel trailers get confused by the way the industry lists the length of their product. Most if not all use the industry standard of total length...meaning from the tip of the hitch to (and including) the rear bumper...NOT The length of the trailer body or living quarters. Widths range from 7 feet or less to 8 feet on average. I have been doing this for over 30 years and it has always been that way.

Jon in AZ, The Holiday Rambler was one of the top manufacturers of both Travel Trailers and Motor Homes. They are of best quality. For a while they built an Ultra-Lite travel trailer ....high quality and just about the lightest ever to hit the road yet superior in build, lay-out and interior appointments. About two or three years ago the parent company decided to change direction and drop all production lines except the Ultra Custom production of Motot Homes.
Totally custom...no stock line...you had to work with a designer...a high end focus and no travel trailers.
I was lucky enough to buy one of their R-Vision Ultra Lite travel trailers before they departed that business. When they closed down travel trailer production the industry was in shock !

If you are lucky enough to find a well cared for Holiday Rambler travel trailer or an Ultra-Lite R-Vision buy it...none better. I stumbled upon mine while looking for something a little bigger....got bigger and lighter...used and like new.
Happy Camper !
Old 02-11-2016, 11:18 AM   #60

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol and Mike View Post
Jon, if you look at the floor plan page on the Oliver web site it shows dimensions of 23.5' overall, 18' cabin length and 7' width for the big Oliver.

When we were comparing the Airstream 23FB and the Oliver 23.5, I had a hard time believing both had the same cabin length. The AS seemed bigger. While it is wider, it also seemed longer. We went with the Oliver due to build quality, features and personal attention from everyone at the factory.
Yes, I see now that it is on the floor plan. But it is not listed in the specs, which includes all three overall exterior dimensions, but only interior width and height. I find that a bit, well… not exactly forthright, as I said.
Click image for larger version

Name:	OliverSpecs.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	92425

I agree that roominess is only one of many factors that come into play when choosing a trailer. I certainly wouldn't presume to tell anyone else what the optimal size or build type is. I can only say that for my family, and in my present circumstances, a 13' molded fiberglass Scamp is optimal.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:07 PM   #61

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
...Most if not all use the industry standard of total length...meaning from the tip of the hitch to (and including) the rear bumper...NOT The length of the trailer body or living quarters. Widths range from 7 feet or less to 8 feet on average. I have been doing this for over 30 years and it has always been that way...
A Lance 1475 has a 14'10" cabin length (overall length is 19'8").
A Camplight 14DB has a cabin length of 14'11" (overall length 18'8").
A Snow River 234RBS has an overall length of 26'10", so presumably the cabin length is 23'4".

Designating models by cabin length seems to be common in the conventional trailer industry.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:14 PM   #62

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieB View Post
Check out Helio and Alto trailers....just saw these at the Montreal RV show....they were cute and interesting!
Hmm, the Helio web page says it's molded FG. I wonder if they're making molds of the sides and the top, then joining them with FG similar to how an egg's two halves are joined? If so, we should include these in our list of manufacturers.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:10 PM   #63

Name: Val
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Arizona
Registry
I came across this post and just have to add my two cents. Several years ago, when I was first looking to buy a travel trailer, I looked at a number of brand new models that were in about the same price range ($12-15K) as the used 1988 Bigfoot B19 which I ended up buying. The reason I went with the Bigfoot was the quality of the interior - in particular the bathroom, the ability to camp in 3-4 seasons, the weight, and the safety ratings. All the brand-new trailers had shower walls and sinks that were so thin and cheap that I could not see how they would hold up. Some makes and models of newer trailers may be of better quality, but that was just my impression from years ago. I think what is a good value depends on how you are going to use the trailer though - if you can get a newer one for much cheaper than the above prices and are only using it on weekends or occasionally or can retrofit it with a better-quality shower enclosure, etc., it may be fine!

In terms of off-gassing, those new trailer fumes are really very toxic - they contain formaldehyde and other chemicals. If you're a tough bird and aren't easily bowled over by environmental toxins, it may not be an issue, but if you're like me and very sensitive to cigarettes, paint fumes, solvents, etc., it's really better to go with a trailer that has already had time to off-gas or is made of higher-quality, low and non-toxic materials. Luckily, there is something out there for everyone! Happy Trails!
Old 02-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #64

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
well put

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
The Chevys never killed the Cadillacs. There are buyers for each type.
I like the way you think. This is very true in any competitive market...
Old 02-12-2016, 03:34 PM   #65

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Hmm, the Helio web page says it's molded FG. I wonder if they're making molds of the sides and the top, then joining them with FG similar to how an egg's two halves are joined? If so, we should include these in our list of manufacturers.
Looking at the pictures on their website, it still looks like regular seams to me. But then sometimes pictures can be deceiving
Attached Thumbnails
Helio-03.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:06 PM   #66

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
My trailer is molded in 4 pieces. Front cap and roof 1 piece molded. Sides molded,rear cap molded. Not all molded trailers are just 2 pieces. Some thing to think about.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #67
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
HI, Ches!! (waving like crazy)

How 'bout the underneath?

Check out this pic of Doug Payne's Kustom Koach.
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:53 PM   #68

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
I think I should not have used the words 'stick built' because many new RVs do not use wood but aluminum, gel coats and board insulation.

I also think you can not compare trailers from several years ago with today's. The construction and materials have changed.

Now if you look at the big mfg (Jayco) and their products - they are not very good in my opinion.

Check out:
Winnebago minis:
Minnie | Floorplans | Winnebago RVs

Also check out Outdoor RVs
ORV | Floorplans

The weight of the Outdoor products are more then the popular fiberglass RVs here but the insulation is better then fiberglass RVs

As others have said the new construction techniques will improve the quality of non fiberglass mfgs.

If layouts like this were available when I was looking, I would have bought one.

http://www.rvsrfun.com/New-Inventory...rizona-1215612
Old 02-13-2016, 10:42 PM   #69

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
HI, Ches!! (waving like crazy)

How 'bout the underneath?

Check out this pic of Doug Payne's Kustom Koach.
Hi Mary
Yup same as mine. They are well built. Not many around. They were built in MedicineHat Alberta.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:38 PM   #70

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
It appears that all the top is molded in one piece with a "lip" molded onto it as well. Then it looks like the lips seals (fiberglasses to the sides?) around the sides in a much tighter fashion that others.

This one is basically a copy of the T@B. I test-pulled a T@B and it was as easy to pull as my Scamp. Didnt do enough "long-term" to check mileage etc. I despised the TAB because of all the ABS plastic it had on it. It also had the manual "surge" brake...not sure if I'd liked that or not.

Here's a link to the actual website of the RV Donna B posted a pic of. They're pricey! Not sure what the conversion would be in US $$.

O Series Ultralight Trailer | Hélio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Looking at the pictures on their website, it still looks like regular seams to me. But then sometimes pictures can be deceiving