Are Stick Built Small RVs going to kill fiberglass RVs? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-11-2016, 12:07 PM   #61

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
...Most if not all use the industry standard of total length...meaning from the tip of the hitch to (and including) the rear bumper...NOT The length of the trailer body or living quarters. Widths range from 7 feet or less to 8 feet on average. I have been doing this for over 30 years and it has always been that way...
A Lance 1475 has a 14'10" cabin length (overall length is 19'8").
A Camplight 14DB has a cabin length of 14'11" (overall length 18'8").
A Snow River 234RBS has an overall length of 26'10", so presumably the cabin length is 23'4".

Designating models by cabin length seems to be common in the conventional trailer industry.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:14 PM   #62

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieB View Post
Check out Helio and Alto trailers....just saw these at the Montreal RV show....they were cute and interesting!
Hmm, the Helio web page says it's molded FG. I wonder if they're making molds of the sides and the top, then joining them with FG similar to how an egg's two halves are joined? If so, we should include these in our list of manufacturers.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:10 PM   #63

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
I came across this post and just have to add my two cents. Several years ago, when I was first looking to buy a travel trailer, I looked at a number of brand new models that were in about the same price range ($12-15K) as the used 1988 Bigfoot B19 which I ended up buying. The reason I went with the Bigfoot was the quality of the interior - in particular the bathroom, the ability to camp in 3-4 seasons, the weight, and the safety ratings. All the brand-new trailers had shower walls and sinks that were so thin and cheap that I could not see how they would hold up. Some makes and models of newer trailers may be of better quality, but that was just my impression from years ago. I think what is a good value depends on how you are going to use the trailer though - if you can get a newer one for much cheaper than the above prices and are only using it on weekends or occasionally or can retrofit it with a better-quality shower enclosure, etc., it may be fine!

In terms of off-gassing, those new trailer fumes are really very toxic - they contain formaldehyde and other chemicals. If you're a tough bird and aren't easily bowled over by environmental toxins, it may not be an issue, but if you're like me and very sensitive to cigarettes, paint fumes, solvents, etc., it's really better to go with a trailer that has already had time to off-gas or is made of higher-quality, low and non-toxic materials. Luckily, there is something out there for everyone! Happy Trails!
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #64

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
well put

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
The Chevys never killed the Cadillacs. There are buyers for each type.
I like the way you think. This is very true in any competitive market...
Old 02-12-2016, 03:34 PM   #65

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Hmm, the Helio web page says it's molded FG. I wonder if they're making molds of the sides and the top, then joining them with FG similar to how an egg's two halves are joined? If so, we should include these in our list of manufacturers.
Looking at the pictures on their website, it still looks like regular seams to me. But then sometimes pictures can be deceiving
Attached Thumbnails
Helio-03.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:06 PM   #66

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My trailer is molded in 4 pieces. Front cap and roof 1 piece molded. Sides molded,rear cap molded. Not all molded trailers are just 2 pieces. Some thing to think about.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #67
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
HI, Ches!! (waving like crazy)

How 'bout the underneath?

Check out this pic of Doug Payne's Kustom Koach.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:53 PM   #68

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
I think I should not have used the words 'stick built' because many new RVs do not use wood but aluminum, gel coats and board insulation.

I also think you can not compare trailers from several years ago with today's. The construction and materials have changed.

Now if you look at the big mfg (Jayco) and their products - they are not very good in my opinion.

Check out:
Winnebago minis:
Minnie | Floorplans | Winnebago RVs

Also check out Outdoor RVs
ORV | Floorplans

The weight of the Outdoor products are more then the popular fiberglass RVs here but the insulation is better then fiberglass RVs

As others have said the new construction techniques will improve the quality of non fiberglass mfgs.

If layouts like this were available when I was looking, I would have bought one.

http://www.rvsrfun.com/New-Inventory...rizona-1215612
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:42 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
HI, Ches!! (waving like crazy)

How 'bout the underneath?

Check out this pic of Doug Payne's Kustom Koach.
Hi Mary
Yup same as mine. They are well built. Not many around. They were built in MedicineHat Alberta.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:38 PM   #70

It appears that all the top is molded in one piece with a "lip" molded onto it as well. Then it looks like the lips seals (fiberglasses to the sides?) around the sides in a much tighter fashion that others.

This one is basically a copy of the T@B. I test-pulled a T@B and it was as easy to pull as my Scamp. Didnt do enough "long-term" to check mileage etc. I despised the TAB because of all the ABS plastic it had on it. It also had the manual "surge" brake...not sure if I'd liked that or not.

Here's a link to the actual website of the RV Donna B posted a pic of. They're pricey! Not sure what the conversion would be in US $$.

O Series Ultralight Trailer | Hélio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Looking at the pictures on their website, it still looks like regular seams to me. But then sometimes pictures can be deceiving
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:04 PM   #71

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I received a PM yesterday from one of the owners of Helio RV. He explained that the top piece and side pieces are molded FG, and the joints are "overlapped with epoxy glue". I wrote back and asked how he thought the glue's strength would compare, over time and rough roads and UV exposure, to the way most egg halves are joined.

As I understand it, most eggs have some resin-impregnated fiberglass mat or cloth across the seam as well as having resin/hardener applied to the lips... am I right?

I wouldn't get too excited about the difference between epoxy glue and FG resin/hardener, since epoxy is basically a variation of the latter. Mainly a question of polyesters versus polyamides or polyamines, and not a big issue. But I think the Scamps, Casitas, etc have a little more holding the two halves together than just a coat of liquid that has hardened; correct me if I'm wrong.

Other than that question of durability in my mind, I think the Helio does meet the descriptor, "molded fiberglass."
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:50 AM   #72
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A fiberglass T@B. Fourteen feet with a queen bed. With the current exchange rate (about $ .75 US to the $ 1 Cn) the price is competitive. There is mention of a fiberglass floor. I wonder how they stiffen it. Wood? Looks like a nice trailer but there's not enough windows for me. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #73

Mike- good question. I toured the factory and just happened to video the interior of a shell that had been recently joined. I captured a photo out of the vid and display it here. The shells are fiberglassed together then the joint covered with another piece of fiberglass cloth and coated with the polyester resin again. VERY strong joint. I've never heard of a Scamp's joint failure unless it was a wreck or just a totally deteriorated shell. See the photo below.

Quote:
I wouldn't get too excited about the difference between epoxy glue and FG resin/hardener, since epoxy is basically a variation of the latter. Mainly a question of polyesters versus polyamides or polyamines, and not a big issue. But I think the Scamps, Casitas, etc have a little more holding the two halves together than just a coat of liquid that has hardened; correct me if I'm wrong.

Other than that question of durability in my mind, I think the Helio does meet the descriptor, "molded fiberglass."
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp Shells Joint.jpg  
Old 02-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #74

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Are Stick Built Small RVs going to kill fiberglass RVs?

"You can have the best product in the world, but if nobody knows about it, what good is it?"
The Austin RV Expo, one of the biggest in Texas, is happening this weekend. I was looking at the pictures on Facebook and in one of them is the 17 foot Bigfoot and the Bigfoot Camper from Canada.
It's a shame Casita wasn't there. Their factory is only about 150 miles away.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:58 PM   #75

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If enough people know about it to fill all available production capacity, is that good enough?

Participation in RV shows isn't cheap. That cost gets added to the price of the product. It's not like Casita, Scamp, and the others are unaware of how the rest of the industry works. I'm guessing they have considered it and rejected it as not worth the time and manpower.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:10 PM   #76

Folks are waiting for the production schedule for 2017 Escape trailers to open in the Spring. They're at manufacture production capacity now. Jon is right, why attend an RV show if you don't need too. The same with the other all-molded-towable manufacturers. ALL the stickie manufacturers are competing with one another for buyers. A totally different market.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:12 PM   #77

And if they got more business.....how could they handle it??? I think Escape has over a year waiting list right now. While it would be nice to see the FG's at RV shows, they simply dont need- nor evidently want- more advertisement. I think WoM is getting them all the business that makes them happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If enough people know about it to fill all available production capacity, is that good enough?

Participation in RV shows isn't cheap. That cost gets added to the price of the product. It's not like Casita, Scamp, and the others are unaware of how the rest of the industry works. I'm guessing they have considered it and rejected it as not worth the time and manpower.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #78

Texas
I was never aware of fiberglass trailers. I bought a Jaco and then a KZ. The KZ had a 2 year overall and 12 year warranty on the roof. I found out accidentally about fiberglass because I happens to camp during a Casita rally.

Happy Camping!
Marky
Old 02-19-2016, 03:50 PM   #79

Texas
Are Stick Built Small RVs going to kill fiberglass RVs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

The thing is getting future customers. One of the main reasons Escape has a one year waiting is because of the Canadian dollar depreciation. They didn't have these waiting times before the devaluation. The fiberglass companies aren't behind because of the amount of orders but because they build only until one is ordered. The wait is because of the time it takes to build. The manufacturing process they use is also outdated. It's very different from the other RV manufactures where they produce what people want now. People don't want it wait a year for their RV, car, etc.
China depreciates their yen to sell more goods to the US. Escape is doing the opposite by increasing the price by four thousand. Let's see what happens now. With waiting over a year to order and paying four thousand more they're going to lose lots of customers. I can already see it on their forums. Not very many people want it wait two years to travel and camp.
I'm not bashing FGRVs, I'm talking about business. I own a Casita.

Happy Camping!
Marky
Old 02-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #80

Marky, we'll have to agree to disagree. There will always be people who don't know about all-molded-towables and that doesn't have anything to do with RV shows. Some folks never research anything before they buy much of anything and that will always be the case. I think it's up to the consumer to be informed and not up to the manufacturer to educate me. YMMV