Are travel trailers the biggest bang for your buck? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #29

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Every summer ,since getting our camper, we spend 12 nites at the Jersey shore. a cheap hotel room would be $2,100.00 for 12 nights, our campground with full hook-ups costs $420.00 for 12 nights. WE SAVE $1680.00 JUST ON THIS VACATION EVERY YEAR. Additional gas and tolls with camper, maybe $40 at the most. PLUS WE CAN BRING OUR DOGS! ADDITIONAL SAVINGS $360.00. A TOTAL SAVINGS OF $2040.00. we just love camping.

art

Old 01-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #30

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
regardless of how much $$ we spend more or less.....i still prefer my own bed. to me, that is totally priceless. the rest---gas factoring, food factoring, campground vs. motel factoring....it's all valuable info, to be sure, BUT for me, it is sleeping in my own bed that i love.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #31

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Trailer vs Motel/Hotel

Sometimes you just want to be alone where there's peace and quiet. When you motel it, you're always surrounded by others... and perhaps their kids and their dogs and all the noise.

Sometimes you want to be where it's dark and you can see the constellations. When you motel it you're in town and sometimes big cities and light pollution is so bad you can hardly tell when the sun has set.

Sometimes you want to be where your nearest neighbor is so far away you can't see them. When you motel it you get to listen to their room door slam and probably hear them start up their car in the middle of the night because it's parked right outside your room window.

Sometimes you want to look out your window and see the ocean/ lake/ woods/ stream... When you motel it, you're lucky if you don't have a view of the parking lot. Views of the ocean/lake/woods/stream cost more.

Sometimes you want to go where your chidren can run around and yell and get dirty and not bother anyone because they're too busy making memories. When you motel it, you're constantly telling your kids to use inside voice and stop running because there are people in the rooms on the floor below yours.

Sometimes you want to teach your children how to make s'mores and build a campfire with wet wood because you promised him/her roasted hot dogs for dinner. When you motel it, the motel gets cranky when the marshmellow falls off the stick and messes up the gas fireplace.

Trailer = priceless
Motel/Hotel = whatever you can afford
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #32

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
regardless of how much $$ we spend more or less.....i still prefer my own bed.
I can't agree more! As well as my own bathroom. I don't use public! And I am not always comfortable with hotel room bathrooms. ICKY!

Wayne, Everyone has given you some great suggestions, comparisons, etc. But frankly, it's not about the money!

It's about the experience. If you get more enjoyment from experiencing travel with hotel/motel base, then by all means enjoy it. If you find enjoyment traveling and being able to stop where ever you choose to, with the perk of having things that make you comfortable then by all means enjoy the rv lifestyle.

Having been around rv-ing basically my whole life, I understand it's not for everyone. As far as the money thing, I have found often that flying to my destination and hotels are far cheaper than travel by car/rv etc, but look at what I missed between my starting point to my destination.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #33

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
While not officially egg campers yet (overnight in the drive @ kids house is not = to camping) this is a conversation the Mr. and I have had since we hauled my son's old Boy Scout tent out of the storage bin 3 years ago. We've moved on through a 20 year old Skamper pop-up trailer, the Viking tent trailer and soon to be mobile 16' foot Scamp recently purchased.

We've done the whole travel/hotel thing and had a wonderful time of it. Been, seen done and met. But, there is just something about watching the sunrise/sunset on a particular body of water or stepping outside in the wee cold hours to a sky so full of stars it's takes your breath away. Where else can you go to sleep to the sound of waves crashing just beyond the dunes, babbling brook or bounding waterfall? So much that is beyond description that is usually missed in a hotel room. Even the late night walks to the biffy, before we came up with our alternate solution, wasn't the worst...wasn't the best...but, still not the worst. (although the thought of getting lost in a 500 + campsite someone else mentioned makes me glad we have an alternate choice)

There's the way that first cuppa joe tastes out under the canopy in the early mornings, the friendly waves, "howdy's" and "what is that's" when looking at our little tent trailer rig (based on my own reaction to the Casita that started this whole fibreglas adventure, that's something likely to continue.). I love the morning sounds of children out and about, even the dogs and other furry creatures snuffling about (although the way too nosey and not too people shy raccoon at Edisto Beach State Park was a mite unnerving.) There's no real price that can be put on any of that.

What you've done, Wayne, is remind us all to think why it isn't really the money thing that makes us do/love this....it's everything else that is so intangibly wonderful that makes it worth some of the challenges we deal with when taking on this adventure in the great outdoors.

Thank you for asking the question...and thank you to those who have posted...it's been an enjoyable read.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #34

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Donna, that's pure poetry and captures the whole essence of the magic of owning your own camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Trailer vs Motel/Hotel

Sometimes you just want to be alone where there's peace and quiet. When you motel it, you're always surrounded by others... and perhaps their kids and their dogs and all the noise.

Sometimes you want to be where it's dark and you can see the constellations. When you motel it you're in town and sometimes big cities and light pollution is so bad you can hardly tell when the sun has set.

Sometimes you want to be where your nearest neighbor is so far away you can't see them. When you motel it you get to listen to their room door slam and probably hear them start up their car in the middle of the night because it's parked right outside your room window.

Sometimes you want to look out your window and see the ocean/ lake/ woods/ stream... When you motel it, you're lucky if you don't have a view of the parking lot. Views of the ocean/lake/woods/stream cost more.

Sometimes you want to go where your chidren can run around and yell and get dirty and not bother anyone because they're too busy making memories. When you motel it, you're constantly telling your kids to use inside voice and stop running because there are people in the rooms on the floor below yours.

Sometimes you want to teach your children how to make s'mores and build a campfire with wet wood because you promised him/her roasted hot dogs for dinner. When you motel it, the motel gets cranky when the marshmellow falls off the stick and messes up the gas fireplace.

Trailer = priceless
Motel/Hotel = whatever you can afford
Old 01-13-2011, 11:49 PM   #35

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Some quick math shows that towing my Scamp adds about $4.35 per 100 miles as opposed to driving without the Scamp. We have family in Vermont, which is about 550 miles away. Taking our time, that would be about 275 miles a day for two days. That's an extra $11.96 per day in fuel. That would easily be balanced out by staying in campgrounds rather than hotels.

An added benefit is being able to eat lunch or take a nap in the camper at a rest stop along the way. We have a 10 month old baby, too... It is far easier to change a diaper in the Scamp than it is in the back seat of a subcompact car.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #36

Name: Richard
Trailer: shopping
Georgia
I know this is an older post, but wow - so timely for me. I gotta throw in my two bits. We have been in and out of all sorts of camping for 30+ years. It is smart to analyse the cost so you don't over spend your assets (especially if retired) Costs are fairly easy to calculate - whatever you forecast the cost to be add 10%
It's the VALUE that's tough to calculate. I am close to retirement and my wife and I are planning our "epic road trip." One of the main reasons we will buy the TT and it's in our driveway, call our name, we will go. Otherwise I will overthink hotel vs VRBO vs B&B vs The Bates Motel. (inside joke) - We plan to buy an Escape because I KNOW the exit strategy will be easy and even after 5 years depreciation will be minimal.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #37

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
The problem with motel travel is its fattening, all you do is eat and sleep the same as your old work schedule.

With the trailer you just want to stop less and once you park you pretty much want to get out and walk. Just don't stop next to an Ice cream shop. I just can't get a goods night sleep in a motel. Rest is found much easier in my own trailer.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:06 PM   #38

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
"We plan to buy an Escape because I KNOW the exit strategy will be easy"

Very true and a great selling point.

and more for anyone else searching the archives pondering cost options
https://youtu.be/Z2i1JaQqJXU
Old 12-11-2015, 04:02 PM   #39

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
The worst hotel rooms, if you can find one, if you have a pet with you. Carl
Old 12-11-2015, 07:34 PM   #40

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Are travel trailers the biggest bang for your buck?

Our favorite vacation spot is a beach town in San Diego County.

Hotel room across the Coast Highway from the beach, $250/night. Campground adjacent to the beach, $35/night.

Purchase price of used Scamp three years ago, about $4000. Current market value, maybe $5000-6000.

Walking on the beach early in the morning with a fresh cup of joe, priceless.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:32 AM   #41

Name: Bizzian
Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Ontario
Registry
Biggest reason to take my own bed with me in our 13' boler. Ran into bed bug problem a couple of years ago in big fancy, shiny, clean looking hotel, so never again. Paid $250 per night to stay. Add the cost of $2500 to clear home of the bugs we had failed to notice we brought back.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:03 AM   #42

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian L View Post
Biggest reason to take my own bed with me in our 13' boler. Ran into bed bug problem a couple of years ago in big fancy, shiny, clean looking hotel, so never again. Paid $250 per night to stay. Add the cost of $2500 to clear home of the bugs we had failed to notice we brought back.
Hi: Vivian L... I always say if we have "Bed bugs" we own them!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie