Are travel trailers the biggest bang for your buck? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2015, 07:32 AM   #41

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
Biggest reason to take my own bed with me in our 13' boler. Ran into bed bug problem a couple of years ago in big fancy, shiny, clean looking hotel, so never again. Paid $250 per night to stay. Add the cost of $2500 to clear home of the bugs we had failed to notice we brought back.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:03 AM   #42

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian L View Post
Biggest reason to take my own bed with me in our 13' boler. Ran into bed bug problem a couple of years ago in big fancy, shiny, clean looking hotel, so never again. Paid $250 per night to stay. Add the cost of $2500 to clear home of the bugs we had failed to notice we brought back.
Hi: Vivian L... I always say if we have "Bed bugs" we own them!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:22 AM   #43

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Well, I've done the math and the per night cost is less than motels if you use the trailer a fair bit.
But the math doesn't tell the story. I've always had a fascination with trailers. There's just something about being cozy in my own little house that's very comforting. It's some sort of primal drive. A friend who, like me, enjoys small spaces suggested that we had been nomads in a past life. I like that thought...

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-12-2015, 09:01 AM   #44

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2013 16 ft. Scamp
Michigan
Your own toilet, dishes, pillow, your own sheets and quilts goes along way in my mind. Remember Mike Tyson's trial a few years ago? What they found on the hotel bedspread? Yikes! "Stuff" from several people! And what might be in that carpet you walk barefoot on from the shower to the bed? I am no germaphobic or clean freak but I really am glad to have a camper of my own.
anne myette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #45

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Vivian L... I always say if we have "Bed bugs" we own them!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Well Alf you can borrow ownership of all those evil expensive little bugs, in the world. I still get the itchies thinking about them and I can safely swear I will never stay in another hotel or motel in my lifetime. I'll sleep in the barn with critters I know, if I have to.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:07 PM   #46

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Lot's of very good information and valid points in this thread. I make two annual treks between California and Alaska and have done it both ways, towing a 17-foot Bigfoot and either boondocking, or staying in RV parks/campground, and a few trips with no trailer and staying in hotels every night. I lose about 40% of my fuel economy with the trailer.

I've noticed that in the U.S., the cost between each scenario is pretty close. But in Canada, where petrol is expensive even on a good day, the difference in cost is greater, with a slight advantage going to the hotel route even though hotels are also expensive in Canada.

However, when I factor in the dogs, that is a bit of an equalizer since most hotels now charge a non-refundable per pet fee (as opposed to a refundable deposit like they used to do). Those fees can significantly jack up the cost of the room since I have two dogs. Most campgrounds and RV parks on the routes I travel don't charge a pet fee. That seems to be more of a thing in parks in or near urban areas.

So, at the end of the day, if I travel with my dogs, it's pretty much a wash. But if I factor in the average fixed costs of owning the trailer (purchase price, storage, maintenance, supplies, etc.) it costs quite a bit more than the hotel route when everything is averaged out.

If I travel in the winter, which I have done a couple of times, the hotel route is definitely cheaper since you can usually only camp on the warmer portions of the route and as you get farther north, you end up hotelling it anyway. So even though you are still paying the mileage penalty with the trailer you end up also paying for rooms for a portion of the trip. It's a double-whammy

I still prefer the convenience and other benefits - most of which have been mentioned in previous posts in this thread - of having the trailer with me but on a cost basis alone, the hotel route is much more economical in my case.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #47

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
If cost is important to you don't ever figure the cost of each fish caught during the life time of your bass boat.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote