Are we rational? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Ventura
Are we rational?

For at least a year now I've been watching a new Skyline Retro 140 languishing at an RV dealer. Of course it's a stick-built but it is fully loaded with the features one would expect nowadays, e.g. awning, bathtub, air, microwave, converter, etc.. The claimed dry weight is a respectable 2100 lbs.

The latest sticker price was 8,995.00 CAD and I noticed it finally sold.

While this trailer sat unwanted old Bolers and Trills in the same market area were fetching 4,000 to 5500.

Even as a vintage FG owner that bought into the craze a couple of years ago I dare to wonder if we're really rational, or are our comparatively stripped down and ageing units really that much better than even a new stick built fresh off the assembly line?
Darrell O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
It's not about "our" trailer's being better, It's about what makes you comfortable camping.,,,,,,,,,

Some people camp in tents
Some people camp out under the star's
Some people prefer an rv's (now you gotta choose from all the Rv's made to find the "better" rv for you and yours. )
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell O View Post
For at least a year now I've been watching a new Skyline Retro 140 languishing at an RV dealer. Of course it's a stick-built but it is fully loaded with the features one would expect nowadays, e.g. awning, bathtub, air, microwave, converter, etc.. The claimed dry weight is a respectable 2100 lbs.

The latest sticker price was 8,995.00 CAD and I noticed it finally sold.

While this trailer sat unwanted old Bolers and Trills in the same market area were fetching 4,000 to 5500.

Even as a vintage FG owner that bought into the craze a couple of years ago I dare to wonder if we're really rational, or are our comparatively stripped down and ageing units are really that much better than even a new stick built fresh off the assembly line?

I was actually saying very much the same thing to my wife yesterday as we drove past "RV Row" on the Langley By-Pass and I noted that there seems to be a LOT of stickies going for cheep-cheep-cheep!

My comment, however, was actually more along the lines of "no wonder people can't understand the value of our 1999 Bigfoot 21 when brand new deluxe units, larger and with all the goodies are selling for less! Wonder what these new Cougars, Grey Wolves, etc, etc will be worth in 5-10 years time!"

However, what society in general considers to be "rational" does not seem to match what others on this board consider to be rational behavior.

I keep coming across people on this site who remove perfectly functional 2 or 3 way fridges, or refuse to have a bathroom in their trailer, refuse to have propane (anything) or obsess about solar powered LEDs. Compared to the mass market that buys fully "loaded" stickies with multiple slide-outs, I'd venture to say that many of us do not appear to be rational at all!

Once upon a time I lived in North Battleford (Sask) which was - at the time- home to one of biggest RV dealerships anywhere. The local car dealers made out like bandits when people would stop in at Hunters Sport, Marine and RV, wind up striking a deal for the RV of their dreams and then buying a new tug to haul it home. THAT is the behavior that is considered to be rational.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell O View Post
are our comparatively stripped down and ageing units are really that much better than even a new stick built fresh off the assembly line?
I second the folks who say "It's what it's worth to you". But recently I came disturbingly close to buying a new stick-built Nash. Good trailer, high quality, Oregon made. But here's what staying with fiberglass means to me: in 10 years and 1 day I won't be looking at the trailer and saying "I wonder if I need a new roof?"

So yep, it's rational by me.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
I second the folks who say "It's what it's worth to you". But recently I came disturbingly close to buying a new stick-built Nash. Good trailer, high quality, Oregon made. But here's what staying with fiberglass means to me: in 10 years and 1 day I won't be looking at the trailer and saying "I wonder if I need a new roof?"

So yep, it's rational by me.
I too question how rational we are.

I'm happy with my purchase but ... I seriously doubt I'll make $$ on it or even come out even upon resell. I have been spending $$ on Mods, and I still don't have a particularly comfortable sleeping area or a decent audio system.

For the price I paid, I know that I could have gotten a fairly comfortable, newer "stick" trailer with a built in stereo system and comfy queen bed, a trailer that didn't need any mods or facelifting.

And regarding the roof, most trailer purchases have a 5 year time frame before the owners begin to think about making a change. I bought my trailer with the thought that I'd be keeping it for 10+ years. But, like everyone else, I think about what 2 more feet would do for me ... and what it would be like to have a bigger shower, water tank, a queen size bed ... to spend even more money on an Escape 19!

But then ... I wouldn't be able to log onto this forum and drool over the mods that all of you are constantly showing off ... so, no I'm not very rational regarding my choice in a trailer ... just irrationally happy.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
It is really all in your point of view,isn't it?

Who Cares?!?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
And regarding the roof, most trailer purchases have a 5 year time frame before the owners begin to think about making a change.
The "guarantee" is only valid if the manufacturer is still in business I have friends who bought a monster Alfa less than a year before it went bankrupt....

I don't think rational is used for much of anything anymore. I believe people make purchases based on desire, budget, shape, color, sound, brand name recognition, etc.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #8

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
Some of us just own both That way I don't have to struggle with any moral dilemmas on what is better and/or more rational. My reasoning: My 32' Skyline is basically my summer home on the lake we like to refer to it as the "Mother Ship". It doesn't go anywhere ever just stays on a permanent lot. My Cloud "The Escape Pod" is my mobile unit, I have her to get us out and about the country. After towing around and trying to park a big camper and then comparing it to the ease of doing the same with my Cloud I don't really think I will ever go back to towing around anything bigger then 16' or so.
I love what both my campers offer for so many different reasons, I am very glad to have both.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #9

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
One man's junk is another man's treasure....
Don't criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes...

Any others?
Phil
Old 04-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
......different strokes for different folks. peace out, man.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Molded Fiberglass trailers are cheaper even than the first example given here.... Think of the difference in new retail as a "bond" which will be redeemed at resale with interest.
Price a 10 year old stickbuilt to confirm my point.

Also...I had a 12ft Thorobred stickbuilt and switched to 13ft Scamp. In eight years I have saved several thousand dollars in fuel costs alone.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We started with a stick built because we only planned to own a small trailer for a couple of months. Pulling it with the same tow vehicale we got 15% less mpgs compared to our Casita 16 or Scamp 16 even though the stick built weighed less. Our Scamp is 21 years old and it never leaks, the stick built was 25 years old and really leaked.

We loved the space in our stick built but it was not nearly as structural as the fiberglass trailers.

As well the resale value of fiberglass units is a lot better..... I agree with Floyd's comments.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita
Easy decision

My FG is one of very, very few that will fit into my backyard.....
jgreenern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
My comment, however, was actually more along the lines of "no wonder people can't understand the value of our 1999 Bigfoot 21 when brand new deluxe units, larger and with all the goodies are selling for less! Wonder what these new Cougars, Grey Wolves, etc, etc will be worth in 5-10 years time!"
Dave I think you hit the nail on the head. I think most investment advisers would say that a person who purchases a trailer that retains its value such as a small fiberglass trailer vs a person who purchases a trailer that may not even be usable in 10 years time is a pretty rational person. Even more rational when one considers the possible savings in the cost of the smaller tow vehicle and gas price savings over 10 years of towing a small fiberglass vs a big stick.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #15

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
fiberglass for us

after much research-we decided a fiberglass trailer was the best choice for us.
we found a lot of people were tightening scews, fixing leaking seams and complaining about other things coming loose.
My neighbor has to tighten screws on his camper after a trip.
He also checks them before he leaves on a trip.
We are free from leaks so far and no screws to tighten.
Just a yearly wax and shine.
Our camper is small and cozy-we have everything the big boys have but just on a smaller scale!
Happy camping!
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #16

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I just have this weird thing about owning stuff that they don't make anymore. My Boler American, Chevy Astro, Dodge Ramcharger and all of that other stuff.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #17

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Rationality is determined by more than a schedule of amortization, longevity of durable goods etc. For people of "limited" means, a choice to purchase or do one thing means a choice not to purchase or do another. Some of us choose to educate our children rather than take a second mortgage for bulgemobiles and dually tugs. I think there's a certain amount of rational concern for the body politic in that stance even if your children are sticking out the windows of a 13 footer or sleeping in the tug or a tent.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Last spring I bought the same floorplan as that Skyline 140, only it's a brand with FG gelcoat exterior and paneled walls. I can attest that the allure of that nice new trailer at such a low price can be pretty powerful. I have no regrets at this point, but I'm always looking.

I'm going to say that rationality might be the device we use to justify buying what we desire.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I'm going to say that rationality might be the device we use to justify buying what we desire.
You have described the method to the madness behind my decision to go fiberglass! I feel so ... rational.

Thank you Mike!
Old 04-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #20

Trailer: 13 ft 2000 Scamp
We have had similar thoughts, and came very close to a stick built to gain space for extended camping as we start our retirement, we even put a deposit down on one. As we started to think about what we really needed, we decided that although a little more cramped, the better value for us is still molded fiberglass. So now we are in that search for what we want for our extended camping. Sure do like the look of them 19 foot Escapes. Also after owning my 13 foot Scamp for 5 years now, I think I will get pretty close to what I paid for it. That alone is pretty exciting in these days of disposable every thing.
Steve M K is offline   Reply With Quote