Are you a DREAMER? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2008, 08:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
If you won, A HUGE some of money, how would you spend it? I personally, would divide it into 5 equal parts
and give away
1 part to the Needy
1 part to my Son
1 part to my Daughter
1 part to Live on
1 part to Savings
Check out the difference between --- Montana versus New Hampshire States if you win--- a gain of $5,530,000.oo http://usamega.com/powerball-jackpot.htm
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Kevin, please respond to me personally.... my email is "Dear Needy:"
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Keep in mind, there are starving adults in Crestline, Ca.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #4

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
I'm with ya. I'd divide into 6ths and give 1/10 to church.
Boy could'nt we have a great time with that?

'course I have 2 girls instead of one of each.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Now don't you all wish you lived in Canada when you won all that loot? We get to keep it all. The government taxes the profit from the winnings if you invest it.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Now don't you all wish you lived in Canada when you won all that loot? We get to keep it all. The government taxes the profit from the winnings if you invest it.
Germany also does that and some people think that means they have to spend it all the first year or it will be taxed!

The thing about a Lottery is that the Gummints have finally figured out HOW TO TAX YOUR DREAMS! If you don't buy a lottery ticket, you can't win -- If you want to dream about winning, you HAVE to buy a ticket to make it possible -- When you buy the ticket, you have just paid your Dream Tax
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Without hesitation, I'd give a good chunk of it away (to as yet un-named sources).
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Arrow

I have read too much about what happens to Lottery winners afterwards.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:48 AM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977 ('Total Eggstacy')
I LOVE this question!!!
First -I would buy "the ultimate" in fiberglass rvs: my very own OSCAR MAYER WEINER MOBILE so I could travel coast to coast in a 27 foot cruising hotdog- bringing smiles to young & old. Think of how much fun it would be.
I know this is silly, but it is a REAL dream of mine since I was a little kid. I applied to be a "Hotdogger" (driver/rep) but Oscar Mayer Co. said no because I only have a Technical College Degree. I must have a REAL college degree. I was crushed. Anyone who knows me, knows they are the ones who missed out.

Second-Buy my parents a new car and put new hardwood floors and carpet in their house.
Third-my brother gets a home for him and the kids and I pay for him to finish college.
Fourth-my aunt a liver transplant and a new car.
Fifth-my cousin gets her mortgage paid off and braces for her son.
Then after all of this, I take everyone in my tiny, close knit family on a vacation to Oaxaca, Mexico for a month and take LOTS of cooking classes and eat LOTS of FRESH CHOCOLATE!!! mmmmmm
And of course I would share my money in all sorts of ways. Still keep my "egg" and try to re-do everything myself if possible.
Jessie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot (25B21FB) / 2002 Ford F-150 5.4L V8
Quote:
The thing about a Lottery is that the Gummints have finally figured out HOW TO TAX YOUR DREAMS! If you don't buy a lottery ticket, you can't win -- If you want to dream about winning, you HAVE to buy a ticket to make it possible -- When you buy the ticket, you have just paid your Dream Tax
Pete,
It's even better (or worse, depending on your political leanings) than that! The lottery is the most ingenious regressive tax ever devised. It's levied disproportionately on lower socio-economic classes, and there are no enforcement issues. Heck, people even stand in line to voluntarily pay it, and get excited when new versions are introduced!

Mike D. (leans toward it being 'worse')
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
One of my German friends revealed to me a sure-fire way to guarantee small but sure winnings EVERY time Lotto (as they call it there) runs. I have tested his method and it works for every lottery in North America also! Here's the secret -- Don't buy a ticket...

Seriously, if I won a large amount, the first thing I'd do is check the rules to see how long I had to think about it with the ticket somewhere safe. Then I'd be looking for a legal-tax adviser to find the best way to cash it (all now? installments? a trust?) and so on. I don't want to be in one of Frederick's "Where Did It All Go?" articles.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Question

I've had people ask why I throw away a perfectly good dollar on a Lotto ticket. I tell them that it's cheap entertainment. Steve & I sit and muse on what we'd do for a good hour while enjoying the hummingbird battles in the backyard. It's way cheaper and more entertaining than a movie, and less fattening than the popcorn I'd eat.

We've thought that once we had things settled, winning big (or relatively big) would allow us to quit the daily grind and be under-employed (or more likely under-paid) at the charity or volunteer organization of our choice. (Settled meaning the relatives taken care of and several local charitable organizations endowed.)

Mike D: I'm with you on the regressiveness of the "tax". I've seen people lined up buying 10 of this, 20 or that, total of $80-100. They looked like they could use the grocery money more wisely. But you can't legislate common sense.
I also look at the number of tickets bought to provide the funds for the winner, and my mind gets boggled.

Marian
MarianA is offline   Reply With Quote