Are you ready for a disaster - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #21

Trailer: Play Pac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
I'm not at all prepared. I don't even know where the duct tape is.
Jen, it's in my cabinet where the lightbulbs are. If you make it this far I'll give you a roll
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:51 AM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
Good points to consider BCDave!
Especially comparing the 3500 to the 1000 watt gen.
My problem there is my well runs off 220. The smallest gen. I could find with a 220V plug is 3500. I guess I need to get my 2000W gen. going again.
And, stabilize some gas!
so you would then run the "big Dog" for long enough to fill a bunch of buckets and things with fresh well water - then go back to a smaller size one for just the fridges etc.

What's important is to separate "I NEED this to survive" from "I want to have...." stuff.

Water, a dry warm place to shelter from the elements, and a way to keep food from spoiling (as well as a way to cook it!) are the basics of "I NEED".

Yes it is nice to turn on a light and have something happen.

Yes it is nice to have the furnace kick in, to listen to the stereo or watch the boob tube. And if your emergency is a power failure, then yes, go for all the I WANT stuff in addition to the I NEED stuff. Somewhere (relatively) nearby you can get more gas for the generator

But if your emergency is a major earthquake, a major volcanic explosion, or any other scenario where it may not be possible to get more fuel for your genny anytime in the next 6-8 weeks, you better be prepared to live with only the "I NEED" stuff. And that's where your RV is now your 'lifeboat".
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:05 AM   #23

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
nope,,,if i see a disaster comming my way i run right at it.

but in truth the most important preperation is your mind. you can't posibly have something that will cover every problem that comes up, you have to be able to think your way out of trouble.<_<
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
so you would then run the "big Dog" for long enough to fill a bunch of buckets and things with fresh well water - then go back to a smaller size one for just the fridges etc.

What's important is to separate "I NEED this to survive" from "I want to have...." stuff.

Water, a dry warm place to shelter from the elements, and a way to keep food from spoiling (as well as a way to cook it!) are the basics of "I NEED".

Yes it is nice to turn on a light and have something happen.

Yes it is nice to have the furnace kick in, to listen to the stereo or watch the boob tube. And if your emergency is a power failure, then yes, go for all the I WANT stuff in addition to the I NEED stuff. Somewhere (relatively) nearby you can get more gas for the generator

But if your emergency is a major earthquake, a major volcanic explosion, or any other scenario where it may not be possible to get more fuel for your genny anytime in the next 6-8 weeks, you better be prepared to live with only the "I NEED" stuff. And that's where your RV is now your 'lifeboat".
I also have a propane 5000W that I've never even started up -shame on me!
I keep 30 gallons of drinking water at all times.
I do have a tip that I saw on you tube. If you buy the large (1 gal.) liquid detergent bottles, don't toss them when they are empty. Just fill them with water and you will have water for cleaning needs. Then you don't waste your drinking water washing your face/dishes/clothes.

Another- you can make a "washing machine" out of a 5 gallon bucket with a lid by cutting a hole in the lid big enough for a toilet plunger handle to to fit thru. Just use your detergent water you previously saved in those bottles. Put a few clothes in and start churning with the plunger (close the lid). Yes, you can buy a new plunger for the job .
You will need some rinse water. I think this is a good idea if you're boondocking, also.
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #25

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
For my part of Michigan tornado or power outage would be the most probable diaster. Have a reinforced room in basement with pantry and some supplies including TP and slop bucket, flashlights etc. Most important is pry bars (2), a small agressive hand saw, and small sledge hammer so I can get out after a tornado. And pet food. I fill water jugs when there is a weather alert.

Somehow I don't think my light weight FG camper is going to do better than house next to it in a tornado.

Last tornado in our county had looters show up that night, left promptly when asked by one of the homeowners with hunting rifle. So yes firearm and ammo are good. Don't need enough to stand off a zombie apocalypse but something for both wife and myself.

I tend to keep my camping stuff in canvas "kit" bags by purpose. Basic Cooking utensils is one bag, fuel, stove & lantern is another. First aid is another etc. I find the smaller packages easier to pack for camping than big plastic containers but I do have a couple of those too for things that need waterproof storage.

I figure it takes less than 10 minutes to transfer the kit bags to either basement or car from garage, but have been thinking about moving everything but fuel to basement. Longer to car but nothing but fuel to move for a tornado.

Something that is also in our diaster planning is "shrinking" the house. Shut off water at basement and drain so pipes won't freeze, then block off most of house and use kerosene heater to keep small area warm. Might be bedroom and kitchen, could be just basement. Either way we have plastic tarps and tape on hand to do the job.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #26

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan L. View Post
If you really want to get crazy about it, start watching Doomsday Preppers on cable. Think it might be on National Geographic Channel. I'm waiting to see someone with a FGRV as part of their "bug out" kit. Those people are a bit over the top for me but if it makes them feel secure, so be it.

Saying a bit over the top, is saying it kindly! in most cases

But that being said, everyone should have enough supplies to carry them and their family thru a few weeks.......

Personally, if the world would come to a end tomorrow, I really don't think I would want to spend the next 5 years under ground with some of the character's on Doom'sday Preppers!

This last winter due to power failure so many times in a week, I bought a honda EU3000 and had the electircian put in totally seperate outlets that only the gen will run. I didn't like the idea of plugging into the box and all the issues that would bring up! So he put 2 different plugs in that are only supplied by the generator. With both my Dh and Mom on hospice, getting them out and to a evacuation center would be a joke. So this allows me to keep us home and going till help comes or I go stark raving mad! Which ever comes first............ Their on their own if it's the later! LOL But the Casita is my second line of disaster prep.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #27

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
I'm not at all prepared. I don't even know where the duct tape is.
LOL!!

Points for honesty!
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #28

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
...the most important preperation is your mind. you can't posibly have something that will cover every problem that comes up, you have to be able to think your way out of trouble.
I totally agree, your brain (and a little prayer) are the best equipment you can have but I would add to have a plan for what you can anticipate.

In a diaster your brain is not in the best state to formulate a plan. Brain sort of grabs what it thinks is best match for situation. Half the people when a plane crash lands attempt to get their luggage because that is "what you do" when leaving a plane and they do know they should leave.

People call the front desk in hotel when the can smell smoke and the fire alarm goes off because they know there is a problem and calling front desk is again "what you do" by default for a problem in a hotel.

Folks who take a minute to plan how they will get out of a plane or hotel do much better at surviving. If brain already "knows" exit plan brain will pull that action up as best match for getting out of there.

When it comes to trailer camping the people who plan what to do for a blow out, brake failure, deer in the road or tornado warning while camping are going to have a better chance at coming through those diasters. Those people can do what John said, think about the unexpected and details because they already have a basic plan.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #29

Michigan
i keep an extra vacume packed bag of coffee, and a spare bottle of jamesons in the camper in case of emergency.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #30

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
Got to have coffee-tuesday I was in W/mart--they had off brand coffee less than $6.oo
so I bought (10) 33 oz. cans-- rest of the coffee was $9.97
per can.
Dollar General has coffee less the $6.oo too.
bought some there too.
$ general has 12 roll pack (Cottonelle).TP..($5.oo on sale)Bought (4) packs of it,, almost $8.oo at wal mart Same item. sure saved a bunch on these (2) items.
sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #31

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1 View Post
Got to have coffee-tuesday I was in W/mart--they had off brand coffee less than $6.oo
so I bought (10) 33 oz. cans-- rest of the coffee was $9.97
per can.
Dollar General has coffee less the $6.oo too.
bought some there too.
$ general has 12 roll pack (Cottonelle).TP..($5.oo on sale)Bought (4) packs of it,, almost $8.oo at wal mart Same item. sure saved a bunch on these (2) items.
lol,,, reminds me of the great toilet paper shortage everyone feared years ago. i think we are still using tp my mom bought back then.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
I do keep a backpack and dog pack (for Molly's food and water) as a grab-n-go bag. Plenty of food and water in the basement, and the trailer is usually ready-to-go. I have a container of supplies that the Red Cross recommends for disasters in the garage (leather gloves, duct tape, water turn off thingee, basic tools, etc).

Thinking about disasters always makes me think I have too many pets - unless I can stay in the house or drive away, I 'd have a hard time evacuating with a dog and 2 cats!
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #33

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
i keep an extra vacume packed bag of coffee, and a spare bottle of jamesons in the camper in case of emergency.
Now that's being prepared!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #34

Name: Ana
Trailer: 1979 13' boler
New Hampshire
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne H View Post
I do keep a backpack and dog pack (for Molly's food and water) as a grab-n-go bag. Plenty of food and water in the basement, and the trailer is usually ready-to-go. I have a container of supplies that the Red Cross recommends for disasters in the garage (leather gloves, duct tape, water turn off thingee, basic tools, etc).

Thinking about disasters always makes me think I have too many pets - unless I can stay in the house or drive away, I 'd have a hard time evacuating with a dog and 2 cats!

I've been thinking the same thing with 3 dogs and 3 cats!! sure would be a full camper! COZY! LOL!!! the cats would probably find themselves in the upper cabinets (by choice with the doors open of course) and the dogs and I with the rest of the place.
avfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #35

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
I keep a stock of necessities, coffee, water, sugar, salt, misc. foods, propane, gas (enough for a few weeks, for the generators, truck, etc.), blankets, shelters, enough supplies to keep S. Sauer and Mr. Browning usable, toothpaste, etc.

Like my neighbour BC Dave has mentioned. In a large emergency, it will be a YOYO situation. I don't think that any of our governments can act as fast as they would like to.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #36

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
My truck is ex army and can survive EMP. I have a couple of bags filled with MREs, ammunition, clothing and some other supplies. 5 Jerry cans filled with diesel and one with gas for a tiny generator. I have small toolbox and a few select parts for my truck. My radio is on a quick connect, as is the CB. I have two cheap ones stored in a Faraday cage.

It takes about 7 minutes to load everything in my truck to head to my property in northern Wisconsin where I have more supplies, tools and fuel.

My parents worked for the feds, FEMA and various state agencies. They lack faith in the ability of the government to act in a timely fashion.
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #37

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
Great input, thanks for the Thread..I'm almost always prepaired ,since I live so far from a store.
Have a great day all.
sparky1 in s.Va.
sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote