Are you ready for a disaster - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Are you ready for a disaster

I posted this as a response to a thread in the CC forum and decided to start a thread here.

You can have a breakdown just thinking about all the disasters that can possibly strike in your area. Without trying too hard I come up with: fires, floods, tornados, blizzards, earthquakes, train derailments involving hazmat spills, blackout, pandemic flu, etc. Some of you can add hurricanes to the list.

All of these could require us to survive on our own for several days. This could involve sheltering in place (home or egg) or moving to a safe shelter set up by the Red Cross or other agency. Even a damaged home can serve as a shelter as long as we are equipped to hold out until help arrives.

Every member of your family should have necessary supplies in “a grab and go kit”.

For ideas what to have in a kit visit wwwredcross.org and click on the tab “Preparing and Getting Trained” then click on “Preparedness Fast Facts”.

Also check wwwfema.gov

Both sites have good information.

Tom
Tom McRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
If you really want to get crazy about it, start watching Doomsday Preppers on cable. Think it might be on National Geographic Channel. I'm waiting to see someone with a FGRV as part of their "bug out" kit. Those people are a bit over the top for me but if it makes them feel secure, so be it.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Non-Fema disasters

If one is concerned about this class of events it's the non-Fema class where not even Fema vehicles can move, where you are really dependent on yourself and maybe your neighbors.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Carrington Event

This happened and was the kind of event that would stop your Tow Vehicle cold unless you had a VW or older vehicle that did not depend on electronic controls.

Homeland Security takes on The Carrington Event | Watts Up With That?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am as prepared as I ever was because I realize the realities of "situations" but I'm not going overboard. Those that were basically always more or less prepared for the worse will be and those that weren't probably still won't be but then, they will come and take my stuff anyway so..........living one day at a time and trying to make it count!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Everyone better get ready.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #7

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Anyone who lives in California better have a "EVAC-READY" bag. I have been thru the quakes of 71 & 94 in the San Fernando Valley. My husband and I went to local thrift stores and bought us each two backpacks. One for our clothes/shoes & personal medication. Of the other two bags, his contains food & water. My second bag has all emergency medical equipment. With my medical background Iam always prepared to be a first responder. Just look back on Katrina and see how screwed up the government will be after a great disaster. YOU BETTER BE PREPARED OR KISS YOUR YOU KNOW WHAT GOODBYE !!!!!
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #8

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson will be accompanying us, so there will be NO worry of our stuff been taken. Cathi P. sounds like the type of person I will be helping out. Don't you have things called TORNADOES that come thru Kansas?
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I was in Joplin the week after the Tornado with my 17' Fiberglass Bug-Out kit.
Amateur Radio operators had Radio Networks set up and running within an hour of the event to help with Logistics in the area because some are ready and we rehearse these things happening.

I can use the trailer as anything from a Hotel Room to a Mobile Command Post within a few minutes usually if need be.

I can be fully self-sustaining if needed and am only limited by my supply of food and water and was really comfortable too,a lot more comfortable than the locals who lost everything.

Part of the appeal for me of our tiny rigs is exactly this capability.

These things really do happen,I would like to be of help if I can.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
This happened and was the kind of event that would stop your Tow Vehicle cold unless you had a VW or older vehicle that did not depend on electronic controls.

Homeland Security takes on The Carrington Event | Watts Up With That?
Yeah baby! I got it!
AND I'm ready , I'm one of prepared (as much as I can be).
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #11

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm not at all prepared. I don't even know where the duct tape is.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson will be accompanying us, so there will be NO worry of our stuff been taken. Cathi P. sounds like the type of person I will be helping out. Don't you have things called TORNADOES that come thru Kansas?
Actually, I saw more tornadoes in the Michiana area when I was a child than as an adult in Kansas. Funny how everyone associates Kansas with tornadoes - probably a "Dorothy" thing. Glad we gave up TV! I don't think I'll be needing anyone's help, thank you! Did I not say that I was as prepared as I ever was? I was actually in southeast AL when Katrina hit and many of those people fleeing that area had came to the RV park where we were staying. Ever been in an ice storm where the electricity was off for a few days and/or been snow bound for a few days with drifts higher than your house? What if? Whatever. I don't need Smith and Wesson. I feel much safer with God at my side.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
We are ALL better off than most because we have movable "homes." I know the events I could deal with would be better (for me) during the camping season when my trailer is outfitted. Right now, it's winterized... no food, no water, no clothes, no linens. But even still it would be a warm dry place if necessary. I refuse to live in fear, but do consider preparations to be prudent no matter if I owned a trailer or not. I'm actually less worried now that I no longer have a small child at home. And on and on and on....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I actually have 2 grab-and-go kits. One in case I need to shelter or run FROM a disaster. It has never been used. This is very much my good fortune. The other has been used several times. This is because of other people's misfortune. I use it to run TO a disaster. I an one of those people that always flock to any disaster anywhere in the country. We all wear red and white vests that say "American Red Cross Disaster Relief" on them
Tom McRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:07 AM   #15

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
I'm always ready for just about anything. been in the Boonies since 1984. end of the power line---off at least once a week.never know.
Be Prepaired---Good Boy Scout.
sparky1/richie.
sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #16

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Fortunately we live in a pretty benign area...west Michigan. No hurricanes, tornados seem to go either north of us or south, no earthquakes, our property will never flood. We do have trees that could fall on the house. Our house is all electric in the country so we'd be in bad shape if the power would go out for very long. Going to get a whole house generator. And finally, I don't know where we'd bug out to that would be better.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #17

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
thanks for the reply.
I have a portable Back up, Rope start (sometimes) 7K gas generator 220 volt that will run the whole place (except the electric heat) I heat with a wood stove/furnace, but it has a 1/2 HP electric fan in it---so if power is off i need the fan to run. I have a couple times Run the Motorhome Generator-and run extention cord just to That Fan circuit,
I have 12 volt light, (Battery) in the basement & (1) in the dining room.Charged by a Harbor Freight 45 watt Kit-#90599--works great.I can always cook in the Casita or the Motorhome, they Both have propane,Plus there is the cook stove too,
have a great winter (snowbirds) past 2 mornings here 12 degrees in southern Va.
sparky1/rich
sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #18

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I have an artesian well the runs out of the hill on the side of my driveway. Tastes like rust, but tested clean of chemicals and nasties. I have a jar of matches and lots of dead trees in my yard. Now if I can only remember how to set a snare.... I must say, a 'bug out' bag seems to be a good idea.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
I used to teach (side job - not a career!) emergency preparedness courses.

Having a travel trailer or motor home is about the single best thing you can do in terms of readiness - IF:

1) You have water
2) and power and heat

In terms of generators - what size? A: the smaller, the better
(how much gas do you have on hand, and how old is it?)

A 3500 W gen will burn a humongous amount of gas compared to a 1,000 W unit.

What is the ESSENTIAL load? A: keep your fridge(s) and freezer(s) cold - spoiled food is a secondary disaster that can be as bad as or worse than the primary one. Figure what size gen you need to run a fridge or a freezer, Get that size genny. Rotate loads - power the fridge for an hour, then the freezer for an hour, then an hour of peace & quiet. Then the fridge again, then rest again. The freezer will stay cold for a few hours, the fridge not so much.

Now figure out how much gas you will need to keep this up for a bare minimum of 72 hours (actually double that to be sure!)

Now make sure you have that much fresh gas on hand.

Katrina demonstrated that FEMA has been emasculated by the Homeland Insecurity types, so in case of a disaster:

YOYO
(You're On Your Own)
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Good points to consider BCDave!
Especially comparing the 3500 to the 1000 watt gen.
My problem there is my well runs off 220. The smallest gen. I could find with a 220V plug is 3500. I guess I need to get my 2000W gen. going again.
And, stabilize some gas!
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote