Are your hatches secure? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Are your hatches secure?

I thought mine were when we pulled out of the driveway Labour Day weekend. Upon arrival at our destination I went to light our fridge and noticed the hatch door missing. My mind flashed back to when I was connecting the trailer and doing my checks. Yes I was interrupted a number of times and probably forgot to check the fridge vent.

Believe it or not, I retraced our route onto the highway a couple of times after our return when I finally thought I caught a glimpse of what might be my vent. A week later it took someone else driving on another trip for me to be able to see it for sure. It was on one of those awkward spots on the shoulder that was difficult to remember the exact location to pull over, there was not much room to pull over safely. Each circuit on and off the highway was a 20 min trip. Two trips later and it was too dark to see. 4 days later, I found the time during the day to try again. Believe it or not, this time I was successful. The vent was there, but not in the best of condition.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ouch.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	31383

I think it can be fixed, but I'd need an original to get the right contours for the louvers. Is there anybody in the Greater Toronto Area that has one of these Dometic VT-24-1 lower vents? I can make a "rubber" mould of the 2 countours in need, in less than 10 minutes with no effect on yours.
TIA
Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:39 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Looks like you weren't the only one:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ver-38066.html
Old 09-25-2010, 02:49 AM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Roy I did find a different fridge vent for a 19x9.5 cutout, which I believe is what you have there:

RV Refrigerator Exterior Wall Vent Door By Dometic

Regards, Matt
Old 09-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
Looks like you weren't the only one
Would that be anyone I know? ;-)
(nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more)

Seriously, if there is anybody in the greater Toronto area that has one of these VT-24-1 vents, I can make the molds I need in less than 10 minutes with absolutley no effect to your vent door.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Lightbulb This could be the beginning of a new career...

Sorry I don't have any real help, but...
A similar thing happened to me, and I've been using the tale of the experience as an opener for several years to my "Avoiding Disaster" lecture series at the Oregon Gathering.

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of that story... But I don't have a "Show-and-tell" like you do!