Argh!! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I can not believe that Carol got a ticket for "Parking" after an accident.
She didnt but apparently Mary did It seemed crazy to me as well that she got the ticket though.

It is my understanding that it is mandatory for insurance companies to report repairs over x so many dollars so the vehicles history can be looked up on data bases such as Carfax in order to protect the consumer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #22

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
She didnt but apparently Mary did It seemed crazy to me as well that she got the ticket though.

It is my understanding that it is mandatory for insurance companies to report repairs over x so many dollars so the vehicles history can be looked up on data bases such as Carfax in order to protect the consumer.
Protecting buyers is good, but the insurance companys should not only compensate for repairs, but depreciation due to the Carfax stigma to make things right.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #23

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
I had totally forgotten about the Carfax report.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #24

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRockiesFan View Post
I had totally forgotten about the Carfax report.
Lisa,
You might ask the adjuster how they will compensate for dirty Carfax depreciation. It would be interesting to see what they say.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #25

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Great news!

I picked up my truck this Saturday after repairs were completed (took only 3 days). The truck looks fantastic! New bumper, new hitch, etc. Looks brand new! I even hitched and towed the trailer a short distance on Saturday. Everything seems to be working correctly.

Total cost was about $2500 ... I paid zero $!

Thank you USAA!!

(I pulled a Carfax report on my truck just before the repairs were started. I'm going to pull another one in a few weeks to see if there is a difference in the reported value).
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRockiesFan View Post
Great news!

I picked up my truck this Saturday after repairs were completed (took only 3 days). The truck looks fantastic! New bumper, new hitch, etc. Looks brand new! I even hitched and towed the trailer a short distance on Saturday. Everything seems to be working correctly.

Total cost was about $2500 ... I paid zero $!

Thank you USAA!!

(I pulled a Carfax report on my truck just before the repairs were started. I'm going to pull another one in a few weeks to see if there is a difference in the reported value).

Glad it all looks good!

Lisa, I had a chat last night with a friend in the auto sales biz about the issue of a car having had an accident and what a dirty report as they call it in the auto industry & if the Carfax type report can impact its value. As I am about to sell one such car.

They suggested that here there is talk of a change in the value of damage that actually needs to be reported as it is recognized that it doesnt take much these days to have damage in the $2000 range. He seemed to think it may be changed here to damage of $3500 or higher as a result - you may want to check regarding the rules in the USA it may already be higher and perhaps the damage to your vehicle will not be reported.

He also suggested that the longer you keep the vehicle the less problematical/price altering a dirty report will have on the vehicle. Especially when dealing with what were basically cosmetic repairs. People will look to see if there is any evidence of a bad paint job - which will show up after a few years if the paint was poorly matched etc. If they dont see anything then they are less likely to haggle over the issue & try and discount the vehicle's price.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #27

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
IN the USofA insurance rules are state based. I know that Utah has a very low reporting threshold and, for a long time (maybe still) California doesn't have any.

I've looked at a lot of CarFax reports and never saw anything that resembled a "Value" figure. Maybe that's something new within the last 90 days or so.

If so, is there one on the ones you are getting? Is it a specific value or a Bluebook type of value?

FWIW: It can take months for reports to show up on CarFax, depending on the reporting source and the rout it takes through the local DMV system(s) etc.

The emissions report on a TV I just bought was almost 2 months old and, although it showed on the state website, it wasn't on CarFax yet.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #28

Registry
Here they simple show the history of ownership of the car so you can be sure its not stolen ;-) Also any accident repairs done to it are listed by the dollar value and when done. Cant recall if they also show the emissions report or not... but thats pretty easy/fast to determine the status of, if its not current you cant get insurance.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #29

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I grew up and lived in Minnesota for the first 60 years of my life .I never saw a road sign stating "Bridges freeze before Roadways" in my whole life until last year driving to Florida . In the South every bridge seemed to have this warning sign which seemed to be stating the obvious . The necessity of the signage seemed strange to a boy from the midwest
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #30

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
A bureaucrat has to justify his existence some how.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #31

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
A bureaucrat has to justify his existence some how.
Thank you Carl : I knew there had to be a logical explanation for the signs
Old 11-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #32

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I grew up and lived in Minnesota for the first 60 years of my life .I never saw a road sign stating "Bridges freeze before Roadways" in my whole life until last year driving to Florida . In the South every bridge seemed to have this warning sign which seemed to be stating the obvious . The necessity of the signage seemed strange to a boy from the midwest
Yep. I'm from North Dakota. I thought the same thing when I moved to kansas. I figured out why when I was passing everybody doing 40-50 in the road and they were plowing into ditches at 20 mph.

It kills me. If it rains, most drive 10-20mph under speed limit, white knuckled, leaning forward over the steering wheel, every time. Ice, half drive like it's the Indy 500. The other half I'm firmly convinced just steer for the ditch.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #33

NW Wisconsin
Memories of youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Yep. I'm from North Dakota. I thought the same thing when I moved to kansas. I figured out why when I was passing everybody doing 40-50 in the road and they were plowing into ditches at 20 mph.

It kills me. If it rains, most drive 10-20mph under speed limit, white knuckled, leaning forward over the steering wheel, every time. Ice, half drive like it's the Indy 500. The other half I'm firmly convinced just steer for the ditch.
When we were kids ,growing up in St Paul Minnesota and living along the Mississippi River, we used to slide on the iced over bridges for fun .In my 13 years of grade school and high school I remember schools closing only once and that was due to drifting snow and blizzard conditions . They never closed because of cold temperatures but if the temperature was below -20 Deg F you could choose to stay inside during recess . The boys always went outside , it was a macho thing . Riding around in a convertible with the top down in January and with no hat or gloves was a right of passage as a teenager. Going to the figure 8 ice races on the St Croix River in Hudson Wisconsin is another thing from my youth that is long gone . Nothing like a cold beer at 25 below zero watching the races
Old 11-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #34

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I think one reason for the signs is because the snow trucks don't go
out usually until it's way past "too late." I used to go out and cut
donuts on the roadways when I was a teenager, but today, if it's icy
I stay home.

As a truck driver driving the Dakotas in the winter time, etc.
I can relate to my fellow states men being laughed at. We laugh at
Texicans, Kansas laughs at us, Nebraska laughs at them, Dakotas laugh
at them, etc. and Canadians laugh at all of us.

I enjoyed driving the winter roads up north because they knew how to
take care of the roads for the most part. Blizzards could be a different
discussion.

But still, it usually boils down to the inbred politicians.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote