ARMADILLO - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2020, 09:28 PM   #21

Name: dust in
Trailer: Boler Trailer
British Columbia
First, congratulations on a I think a wonderful buy.....I don't remember but did you get the 14 footer? These units are so tight, meaning so well built...I am sure the boys will do every thing to make sure everything is in order with the paper work...I would think that the border guards are only following orders when they do there jobs . I would think even they are going to be very impressed and hm slightly envious. Hell I am jealous. What a wonderful way to test drive the new unit...will love to know how it goes down for you on your return trip..also after its all over your going to be like a home magnet with information to share with others...all the best to you and please let us know how it all went....Cheers, Dusty PS I meant Enderby not Armstrong where the factory is....
dust-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:59 PM   #22

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Hi Todd. Congratulations on your new trailer. I thought the Armadillo was a really neat design but my wife could never get over the exposed toilet.

Our new trailer was imported by the dealer through a registered importer. $400 well spent if you ask me, as I avoided the 13% provincial tax in Ontario and the paperwork hassle. The dealer delivered it just across the border and signed it over to us. Under NAFTA, this transaction was duty free. However upon registering in your home state you may be required to pay sales tax at your state rate. I'm not sure how RVs are treated under USMCA or when that will take effect, but the latest tariff schedule I can find was the same one that was in effect when I bought--no tariffs on "trailers & semi-trailers, not mech. propelled, for camping or living."

CBP used to have a nice short page dedicated to RV import from Canada. That page is gone now. My guess is that towable RVs now fall in the general category of motor vehicles, which means you need a EPA Form 3520-1 and DOT Form HS-7. For the EPA Form, since the trailer has no emissions, I don't think you check any of the "code" boxes. The DOT form is the one you need the sticker for or some certification. I would call the border crossing you want to use and figure out what they want, and then call Armadillo and make sure they are going to provide everything you need. The last thing you would want is for your trailer to be impounded until someone could inspect it for compliance.

Also, contact your state DMV to see what documentation you need to register the trailer there. I needed some import forms to show where it was built and that I legally imported it, but I forget the names. If you need something signed at the border, triple check to make sure it gets signed at the border!
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:24 PM   #23

Name: todd
Trailer: ARMADILLO
Arizona
Thanks.....those form numbers will really help us. We " think " we have whats needed? I've studied up a lot...will report later.
todd k. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:49 AM   #24

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Your rig

I love your story

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:03 PM   #25

Name: Ervin
Trailer: Moby 1 Teardrop
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd k. View Post
Thanks.....those form numbers will really help us. We " think " we have whats needed? I've studied up a lot...will report later.
Thanks, would love to hear from you on your experience. I think I am going to order a Backpack model. Just seems like the perfect size trailer. Can pull it with a hybrid Toyota Highlander.
Ervin in Portland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:24 PM   #26

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walter View Post
As a former Boler owner I really like the Armadillo version - would love to see their new 14' version (6" longer in the nose). It looks like they are very innovative and quality conscious. I'm wondering if they could incorporate custom features in a build - any of you that have visited them have an opinion on that? I'm beginning to realize that my 17' Escape is too big for my needs and I'm looking to downsize.

Specifically I would like to have a pull out tray to mount my 45 quart Engel fridge/freezer on instead of the standard RV refrigerator. These fridge freezers typically draw 1.5 amps or less and can be run off a single solar cell/ 12V battery setup.
I don’t have any doubt that they could incorporate into the build what you want. The owners are very innovative. When we were there, the owner was stating they are switching to NorCold compressor style 12 volt only refrigerators that he stated are super efficient and are low amp draw. I wish I had gotten the model number, everything I read state they still draw about 6 amps, this could be on startup. I guess I like the idea of a three way since I boondock all the time, and would operate it on propane the majority of the time. I would be worried about a string of cloudy days and I hate generators. Yet your idea is compelling, very low amp draw, could have a group 27 and a 100 watt panel and be good to go. How many days of food can your Engle hold ( rough guesstimate)?
Old 01-20-2020, 05:28 PM   #27

Arizona
I have that fridge. I had them put in 2 AGM batteries for me. Another thing they did at my request....I have a grey water tank.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:32 PM   #28

Trailer: Boler
Their new Backpack model looks outstanding - it looks like the bed is much roomier than my old Boler. That was one of the biggest problems I had with mine - 5'2" wife always had to sleep on the front (long) side of the bed to get up and pee during the night and 6'0" me got the back end where the sides curved in to make the bed much shorter. Plus it didn't help that the 45 pound Standard Poodle sleeps between us...and he's a bed hog. I wound up following the curve of the back wall and wondered why I was stiff and sore in the morning.

I really like what these guys have done to refine the original Boler concept.
Jack Walter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:41 PM   #29

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
As a former Boler owner I really like the Armadillo version - would love to see their new 14' version (6" longer in the nose). It looks like they are very innovative and quality conscious. I'm wondering if they could incorporate custom features in a build - any of you that have visited them have an opinion on that? I'm beginning to realize that my 17' Escape is too big for my needs and I'm looking to downsize.

Specifically I would like to have a pull out tray to mount my 45 quart Engel fridge/freezer on instead of the standard RV refrigerator. These fridge freezers typically draw 1.5 amps or less and can be run off a single solar cell/ 12V battery setup.
They would need to see if it can fit into the cabinet under the stove. They will also need to add ventilation slots into the sides of the cabinet.

The pullout tray that Engle sells for that fridge slide out in the wrong direction. But it is not a huge job to build a custom slideout using full extension slides. Much depends on the depth of the cabinet if you can get the lid of the fridge to clear the edge of the countertop.

Part of my custom renovation for my trailer was building a slide out tray for my Engel 17. I fabricated it myself. I needed to put my fridge over the wheel well because my interior layout is different so I needed a shorter in height fridge. Remember the Engles have vents on top, on 3 sides at one end and also underneath. They can not work efficiently if those vents are blocked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge drawer 1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	132886
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:01 PM   #30

Trailer: Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin in Portland View Post
How many days of food can your Engle hold ( rough guesstimate)?

I typically go on camp-outs with four days of food (and we eat very well). The good thing about the fridge freezers is that you can replenish beverages and consumables like water as you use the cold ones. They are so efficient that its easy to always have an ice cold Coca-Cola (your beverage may vary) or three in the fridge and you just stick in a warm one when you pull one out. I had a 35 quart fridge that was doing pretty well until the wife kept filling it up with wine and vegetables so I gave my sister the 35 quart and bought a 45 quart.
Jack Walter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:07 PM   #31

Oregon
Quote:
I have that fridge. I had them put in 2 AGM batteries for me. Another thing they did at my request....I have a grey water tank.
Which fridge are you referring to? The Norcold, the Engle, or the three way that I mentioned? And if it is the Norcold, what model and what do you expect the power draws will be? And what kind of solar setup are you planning? And I would want a grey tank as well, where are they installing it? I would make an assumption under the opposite bench of the water tank. I want the underneath pull out storage and I assume that a grey tank underneath would potentially eliminate the ability to have the underneath storage tank. Did you spring for the innovative underneath storage? And did you get the six gallon water heater? Seems so large for a trailer this small, given it only has a nine gallon water tank to begin with. And looking at where they place it, I thought that having it might eliminate the ability to have a grey tank. One final question, did you get the original Armadillo or did you get the Backpack? Thanks ahead for your responses, it sure is helpful. You sound like you have done your research, in talking to a couple of previous Armadillo owners, they did not think of the implications of not having a grey tank, such as camping in Bear country where they don’t allow outside water tanks or water jugs etc. And shoot, I should have thought of this earlier for you, there is a YouTube site called Jeepadillo where a family has three videos about their Armadillo. And they stated importation was a breeze. They may be able to give you info of what documentation they had to bring the trailer in. Sorry my info is so late! And safe travels to and from Oregon, hope you don’t have too nasty weather, because the drive from the border to Enderby is treacherous.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:16 PM   #32

Oregon
Quote:
Their new Backpack model looks outstanding - it looks like the bed is much roomier than my old Boler. That was one of the biggest problems I had with mine - 5'2" wife always had to sleep on the front (long) side of the bed to get up and pee during the night and 6'0" me got the back end where the sides curved in to make the bed much shorter. Plus it didn't help that the 45 pound Standard Poodle sleeps between us...and he's a bed hog. I wound up following the curve of the back wall and wondered why I was stiff and sore in the morning.

I really like what these guys have done to refine the original Boler concept.
Bed in the Backpack is much bigger because the trailer is more square than the original Armadillo. One of the reasons they did not put in a front window in the Armadillo was because of leak issues associated with the Boler because the front surface is curved thus it is hard to make the window be flushed. Same reason they went with a porthole window in the back, it fits flush. Yet they got so much feedback wanting a front window and a larger back window they realized if they extend the length by six inches and square it more, they could make the windows work. This also helps room in the back for the bed, as the back is not so curved, it is more square, thus more usable space.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #33

Oregon
Quote:
One more question if I may. What model did you choose for the front, table for two, sofa bed that turns into bunks, or a toilet up front? Again, thanks for your time and responses.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:21 PM   #34

Arizona
I've never seen my unit and only have two photos. I'll have info. to share after I get her back in the U.S.A.
Long story but it's in a storage shed in Abottsford.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #35

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
I don’t have any doubt that they could incorporate into the build what you want. The owners are very innovative. When we were there, the owner was stating they are switching to NorCold compressor style 12 volt only refrigerators that he stated are super efficient and are low amp draw. I wish I had gotten the model number, everything I read state they still draw about 6 amps, this could be on startup. I guess I like the idea of a three way since I boondock all the time, and would operate it on propane the majority of the time. I would be worried about a string of cloudy days and I hate generators. Yet your idea is compelling, very low amp draw, could have a group 27 and a 100 watt panel and be good to go. How many days of food can your Engle hold ( rough guesstimate)?
We have a NorCold NR751 12vdc/120vac compressor fridge in our trailer. I've never owned an absorption fridge so can only compare to what I've read, but it is just like a home mini-fridge. Plug it in, give it an hour to cool, and it's ready to go. No exterior venting required. In fact the only clearance required is for the front bottom grill. Air goes in one half, cools the condenser, and comes out the other. Normal limitations apply; when we filled it with room temp drinks it took several hours to get back down to cold.

The power requirement varies depending on ambient temperature and fridge setting. The battery draw is noticeable, but I haven't had a chance to do a real test. The only time we operated on battery was over a weekend by accident and I don't know if the battery was even good when we started that trip. I'm pretty sure it drew more than 1.5A running on DC, and other Hymer owners with the same fridge have reported that they are lucky to get a full weekend on the battery with the fridge. We have a single Group 27 battery, and the only other loads are LED lights and USB chargers for phones. The cooling ability diminishes as the battery drains and there's an auto-shutoff feature at 10.9v.

I think these are an excellent choice for trucks, boats, and motorhomes. The necessity of frequently starting the first two means you will always be topping off, while the latter typically come with built in generator or some way to charge off the engine. If you camp with hookups, also a no-brainer. But I'm not convinced they are the best solution for frequent boondocking unless you have reliable solar or a generator.

A 45-qt cooler/fridge equates to about 1.5 cu ft compared to the 2.7 cu ft fridge I have. With the superior insulation of a cooler, I could see it being much more efficient. Another upside is that you could move it into the car for the ride--ice cold beverages on the go!
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:21 PM   #36

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I have an Engel 40 qt that I use for overlanding. When I go egg camping, my camper is so small I just leave the Engel in the vehicle and run it off of the car battery. I don't cook inside so it isn't really a handicap at all.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:18 AM   #37

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Bed in the Backpack is much bigger because the trailer is more square than the original Armadillo. One of the reasons they did not put in a front window in the Armadillo was because of leak issues associated with the Boler because the front surface is curved thus it is hard to make the window be flushed. Same reason they went with a porthole window in the back, it fits flush. Yet they got so much feedback wanting a front window and a larger back window they realized if they extend the length by six inches and square it more, they could make the windows work. This also helps room in the back for the bed, as the back is not so curved, it is more square, thus more usable space.
I was not aware of the new model. Looks great! The windows were an issue for me. I’m a little surprised the didn’t go a bit larger to create more differentiation, but perhaps they are using the same chassis for both models?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:28 PM   #38

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I was not aware of the new model. Looks great! The windows were an issue for me. I’m a little surprised the didn’t go a bit larger to create more differentiation, but perhaps they are using the same chassis for both models?
I think you are right. Yet the overall length of the trailer is six inches longer as well.

If Escape Trailer Industries ever went back to building a 15 footer, I suspect they would sell as many as they could make. I just don’t like the 13 ft Scamp, with the rivets and it just seems too small. It’s about 10k more for the Backpack vs a loaded 13 ft Scamp deluxe with front table. Yet you get a custom interior, underneath storage, a bit bigger trailer, 3500lb axle vs 2200, more clearance. Great to have choices. Overall, how have you liked your Scamp?
Old 01-22-2020, 09:01 PM   #39

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
ARMADILLO

We love it! Simple and basic. Almost embarrassed to admit we found a local 4-year-old unit with a few minor cosmetic dings in the fiberglass but otherwise like new... for $4K. We’ve had it 7 years now. Nice thing about a pre-dinged trailer is not having to worry about the next one!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:12 PM   #40
Commercial Member

Name: colin
Trailer: always looking
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Everbody my name is Colin, I work for Armadillo Trailers, If anyone has any questions about the Armadillo or the Backpack I would be happy to reply.
extremerv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armadillo