Arthritis - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-16-2016, 01:15 AM   #15

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Camping and pain

There has been a LOT of excellent advice offered here! I'm developing arthritis in my back and hands, and have had FMS (fibromyalgia syndrome) for 30+ years.

Vioxx was excellent for pain relief -- I felt *normal* when I was able to take it. (Except for the crushing chest pain!) Celebrex has caused chest pain also.

Cymbalta worked for pain for quite some time, until intestines revolted and all kinds of bad things happened. No ulcers, but a nearly 20 lb weight loss before things kind of sorted out.

I'm managing without major meds at the moment. I have a heating pad permanently installed on my chair, along with various pads and cushions to keep my back straight and shoulders back (most chairs cause your back to round, which in my case causes pain -- back straight and shoulders back = relief). I need heat several times a day, and often use the seat heater in my car even in the summer. Sigh.

Magnesium is good for pain, and also for the constipation problems other meds can cause. Since FMS also causes constipation, I take magnesium regularly (500-750 mg at night).

Vitamin C has anti-inflammatory properties. I take 2000 units a day. When I was teaching, I took *4000* units. Young people are walking germ factories, but as long as I kept up that regimen, I did not get sick. Vitamin C also relieves constipation.

Turmeric and curcumin are very good for pain. Curcumin hits the pain I'm developing in my finger joints and keeps it at bay. If I miss it a few days, the pain comes back. NSAIDS have not helped it, but Curcumin does.

I also take a glucosamine/condroitin/MSM complex.

As far as camping and pain... I have two thoughts. Don't get too cold, and make sure your bed is comfortable. My husband has foam cushions in his van that are too hard for me. Trying to sleep on them in my condition made any van trip a true misery. I had to insist on bringing an eggcrate cushion with us.

Air mattresses are wonderful, but make sure you have very thick insulation between you and the mattress. If you have a pain condition of any kind, you'll discover you feel worse or even TERRIBLE if you don't. Even if you have warm covers on TOP of you, the air in the mattress is not as warm as your body. Therefore your body works all night just to maintain its temp, and the result is misery. At least it was for me until I figured this out. If we use an air mattress, there has to be a comforter or sleeping bag between me and it. As long as we do this, the sleep on an air mattress is delicious.

The cushions in our little bigfoot are not too firm, but we use a memory/gel/eggcrate pad anyway. We don't get too cold in the trailer, so my body is happy.

And then, just avoid getting chilled outside. Wear warm clothes when its cold. Wear layers and gloves and warm socks. The other bad reactions I've had have been from getting too cold outside. (Pain and fatigue after one ill-advised midnight swim lasted for nearly three weeks)

I agree with the other poster who advised that it's easier to prevent pain than to stop it once it happens. Don't wait too long to take a med. You will accomplish nothing except suffering more and longer (and ultimately having to take more medicine).

In warm weather, wear sunscreen and hats but soak up the warm sun. It's wonderful for achy joints.

Oh, and yoga. Yoga has greatly reduced my symptoms, and if I miss too many classes they come creeping back. Exercise, walking, biking, hiking -- these will all help with arthritis.

And camping. Most definitely camping.

Best,
LP

5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:10 AM   #16

Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
Thanks Ellpea for your input. Yes, I've heard yoga is good for arthritis--i've found a few sites on youtube that has yoga for seniors--keep forgetting about them..i've got to do that again. But when feeling bad i just want to sit and not do anything but watch TV, which i know is wrong. I take a prilosec every morning and wait an hour before eating and taking motrim--this protects my stomach from getting upset. Then a few hours later i take more motrim--being careful not to go over the dosage recommended for 24 hours. But giving up the soda last week really helped a lot. Again thanks for all the info you provided.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #17

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by janisg View Post
Thanks Ellpea for your input. Yes, I've heard yoga is good for arthritis--i've found a few sites on youtube that has yoga for seniors--keep forgetting about them..i've got to do that again. But when feeling bad i just want to sit and not do anything but watch TV, which i know is wrong. I take a prilosec every morning and wait an hour before eating and taking motrim--this protects my stomach from getting upset. Then a few hours later i take more motrim--being careful not to go over the dosage recommended for 24 hours. But giving up the soda last week really helped a lot. Again thanks for all the info you provided.
Hi: janisg... "You are what you eat". A hand full of black sweet cherries... or tart red ones... each day helps a lot. There's something in the cherries that works on the joint pain. Pure cherry juice is also good... but can be expensive though.
Art Wrightis is no friend of mine
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 05-16-2016, 09:25 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
I have moderate arthritis in my back. While OTC pain medication helps, the most help has been swimming laps weekdays for half an hour. The first couple of days are a bit rough, but after that things get better each day. By the end of a week or two I'm in pretty good shape.

Of course finding pools that are large enough for lap swims is tough while camping, so I slowly deteriorate while away from the pool. I probably should try yoga.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #19

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I have moderate arthritis in my back. While OTC pain medication helps, the most help has been swimming laps weekdays for half an hour. The first couple of days are a bit rough, but after that things get better each day. By the end of a week or two I'm in pretty good shape.

Of course finding pools that are large enough for lap swims is tough while camping, so I slowly deteriorate while away from the pool. I probably should try yoga.
A pool is very important in my life . Besides pain relief , even just walking in a pool helps with keeping your balance , your legs and pains of aging . I also start to deteriorate when I can't swim and get to a pool . Pat
Old 05-17-2016, 05:50 PM   #20

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by janisg View Post
Does anyone else suffer from arthritis and how well do you deal with it when camping?
I have osteo arthritis in many of my joints. It was exacerbated by the wear and tear on all of my joints from my 30 years' employment. It was so bad that there were days toward the end of my career when I didn't want to get out of bed.

I retired about six years ago on a full service retirement at 55. I didn't want to just roll over and die, that's not my style, but neither did I want to burn out my kidneys or liver prematurely with oral pain and other nasty meds, so I began doing research into how to deal with it more holistically.

Arthritis is an inflammatory disease. Cutting inflammation is key to cutting pain. You've had good advice from a number of posters here: you are what goes into your mouth.

Investigate foods that cause inflammation and cut them out of your diet. Wheat and un-cultured dairy are two of the biggest culprits in our diet today, for a variety of reasons. Cultured dairy, cheese, yogurts and so forth don't seem to be an issue like cow's milk is. Butter doesn't seem to be a problem either, and is certainly less problematic than margarine. Wheat seems to be a real problem. If I eat bread or pasta made from wheat flour, I really feel awful and painful within hours until my system clears it and that takes a couple of days. Cut out chemical preservatives to the extent you can. Cut out inorganic chemicals like artificial sweeteners. You need to read labels.

Learn about endocrine disrupters (like dietary bromine) and where they're found in our diet and environments and try to stay away from them.

I've adopted a modified, casual Paleo-type diet that works well for me and is easy to maintain. I take regular supplements daily including B-1, Methyl-B-12, D-3, C and then some multis. The B-1 in particular works to help control pain. B and D-vitamins are water-soluable, so there is no 'toxic' dosage. You can pretty much load up on B and D-vitamins, and I do. I also take a proprietary Chondroitin-Glucosamine combination called Flex-a-Min that seems to work well. I've tried other similar products that just didn't do anything for me, but this one seems to work.

And while I'm not pain-free every day... I have my days, I'm mostly pain-free most days. I bike and hike and go sailing and camping and do pretty much whatever I want to do now when I want to do it... life is good!

YMMV, but it's amazing what a positive change in diet, getting the right supplements and regular exercise does for arthritis. It's not what "medicine" says we're supposed to be doing... but it works for me, is inexpensive, and has led to a healthier and more active retirement lifestyle.

Good luck!
Old 05-17-2016, 09:13 PM   #21

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
I've got really bad knees due to injury and arthritis......probably will require a replacement someday. Right now.....I am recovering from a badly broken arm....steel plate in there now and pins were removed last Friday. Bottomline.....I just keep moving. I am very active......today I mowed 5 acres of grass. Tomorrow I am working on an 1890 wagon running gear. If I sit too long.......I hurt. So I keep moving. Our dogs are happy......they love their walks. I see many folks my age just stop moving........not for me. I will keep moving and pushing myself for as long as I can......I wish you all the best....keep moving.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:23 AM   #22

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
I have arthritis in my joints, but of more impact to me is Dupuytren's Disease and Leddarhose Disease, or palmar and plantar fibromatosis. It makes my hands and feet grow lumps and cords and eventual possible contracture to the palm. I suspect many people have had Dupuytrens in the past and thought it to be arthritis.
At the moment, I have no contracture, but both hands and feet are painful and sensitive to cold. Indeed, we upgraded to the Silver Cloud from the Uhaul VT in part with a thought to being snowbirds and getting my hands and feet out of the cold. It will also allow us to camp in campgrounds where restrictions prevented us from camping in the VT. These campgrounds tend to have more even surfaces, i.e. cement pads, that help my feet.

As for camping, I rely on Kevin. I doubt I could do it alone. It is painful to even drive, although I pad the steering wheel. It is even painful to grocery shop for camping. Any metal bars, like grocery store carts and metal bar door handles are a problem for me. There are days I can't walk and must use my disability scooter. Rough surfaces are a problem for me to walk on, and going uphill stretches the tendons in my feet too much, because the crap growing in my feet attaches to these tendons. I must pad the paddle to the canoe to use it with my hands, wear double gloves to golf, and we bought a Keurig for the camper to avoid heavy coffee pots. I wear gloves to do most anything that involves moving the camper, hooking up the camper, or carrying things into the camper.

All that being said, it has not greatly impacted the way we camp, because Kevin drove most of the time anyway, and our way of camping was to park and visit historic sites most of the time anyway. If it involves lots of walking, we bring out the scooter, and we will head for the disability ramps. Last spring, I remember taking a shortcut up the hill at Falling Waters. Mistake - hill was too steep and full of rocks. We don't do that again.

What breaks my heart is that it has curtailed our volunteering out on Pine Ridge reservation where we would take our Uhaul with donations and then camp when we volunteered. The sensitivity of my feet and hands does not permit me to do the kind of work I used to, i.e. using a hammer, sander, hiking in the Badlands, etc. We are going out this summer again, but happily, the organization has scheduled our week of work for an advanced study into Lakota culture, so that I can participate. The organization is Re-Member, and when we went to their supper last fall, they told me to come out anyway, that maybe I can help with delivering donations or something else that is easier on my hands and feet. So hopefully, I can do something like that instead of building.

Stupid genes. Comes from both sides of the family. No cure and no effective treatment yet.

CindyL
Old 05-18-2016, 07:39 AM   #23

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I just bought a small jar of pot cream to try. I haven't used it enough to figure out if it works or not.

Pot is legal here, but the cream sure smells bad, and the store that I had to go into to buy it, reeked.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #24

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
I have osteo arthritis in many of my joints. I..
Roger is absolutely spot on regarding inflammation and the other recommendations he has made.
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:08 PM   #25

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I have arthritis at L4-L5 and it gets better when I take Bennidril. I looked on the net and half the people said the drug made their pain worse and the other half said it made it better. I,m not recommending you take it, just saying I am.

Tags
casita