Arthritis - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2016, 08:13 PM   #21

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
I've got really bad knees due to injury and arthritis......probably will require a replacement someday. Right now.....I am recovering from a badly broken arm....steel plate in there now and pins were removed last Friday. Bottomline.....I just keep moving. I am very active......today I mowed 5 acres of grass. Tomorrow I am working on an 1890 wagon running gear. If I sit too long.......I hurt. So I keep moving. Our dogs are happy......they love their walks. I see many folks my age just stop moving........not for me. I will keep moving and pushing myself for as long as I can......I wish you all the best....keep moving.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:23 AM   #22

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I have arthritis in my joints, but of more impact to me is Dupuytren's Disease and Leddarhose Disease, or palmar and plantar fibromatosis. It makes my hands and feet grow lumps and cords and eventual possible contracture to the palm. I suspect many people have had Dupuytrens in the past and thought it to be arthritis.
At the moment, I have no contracture, but both hands and feet are painful and sensitive to cold. Indeed, we upgraded to the Silver Cloud from the Uhaul VT in part with a thought to being snowbirds and getting my hands and feet out of the cold. It will also allow us to camp in campgrounds where restrictions prevented us from camping in the VT. These campgrounds tend to have more even surfaces, i.e. cement pads, that help my feet.

As for camping, I rely on Kevin. I doubt I could do it alone. It is painful to even drive, although I pad the steering wheel. It is even painful to grocery shop for camping. Any metal bars, like grocery store carts and metal bar door handles are a problem for me. There are days I can't walk and must use my disability scooter. Rough surfaces are a problem for me to walk on, and going uphill stretches the tendons in my feet too much, because the crap growing in my feet attaches to these tendons. I must pad the paddle to the canoe to use it with my hands, wear double gloves to golf, and we bought a Keurig for the camper to avoid heavy coffee pots. I wear gloves to do most anything that involves moving the camper, hooking up the camper, or carrying things into the camper.

All that being said, it has not greatly impacted the way we camp, because Kevin drove most of the time anyway, and our way of camping was to park and visit historic sites most of the time anyway. If it involves lots of walking, we bring out the scooter, and we will head for the disability ramps. Last spring, I remember taking a shortcut up the hill at Falling Waters. Mistake - hill was too steep and full of rocks. We don't do that again.

What breaks my heart is that it has curtailed our volunteering out on Pine Ridge reservation where we would take our Uhaul with donations and then camp when we volunteered. The sensitivity of my feet and hands does not permit me to do the kind of work I used to, i.e. using a hammer, sander, hiking in the Badlands, etc. We are going out this summer again, but happily, the organization has scheduled our week of work for an advanced study into Lakota culture, so that I can participate. The organization is Re-Member, and when we went to their supper last fall, they told me to come out anyway, that maybe I can help with delivering donations or something else that is easier on my hands and feet. So hopefully, I can do something like that instead of building.

Stupid genes. Comes from both sides of the family. No cure and no effective treatment yet.

CindyL
Old 05-18-2016, 06:39 AM   #23

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I just bought a small jar of pot cream to try. I haven't used it enough to figure out if it works or not.

Pot is legal here, but the cream sure smells bad, and the store that I had to go into to buy it, reeked.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:46 PM   #24

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
I have osteo arthritis in many of my joints. I..
Roger is absolutely spot on regarding inflammation and the other recommendations he has made.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:08 PM   #25

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I have arthritis at L4-L5 and it gets better when I take Bennidril. I looked on the net and half the people said the drug made their pain worse and the other half said it made it better. I,m not recommending you take it, just saying I am.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita