Artillery Fungus Spots - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
LLN

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 2010
Pennsylvania
Registry
Artillery Fungus Spots

Looking for solutions to removing black hard tarry spots that leave a residue on the trailer. After the Scamp sat at an RV center for three weeks waiting for repair, I got it back covered with black spots. What a mess. Each spot had to be popped off and then the surface residue rubbed hard with in this case a clay bar. By the way, there were hundreds of these things on half the trailer roof to the bottom. Any body have recommendations for removing this kind of mess? Anybody else have the experience. I live in Pennsylvania and they call it artillery fungus here. Appreciate your advice
LLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Spray a small spot with a water/clorox mixture to see what happens then wash with a wash and wax (Like Turtle Wax) to see if it completely removes.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Not sure what "artillery fungus spots" are, but someone had passed a tip along to me when I was trying to remove slim and mold spots from the first Casita I bought being under a tree.

Dollar Store product called Awesome............ Worked great at removing the mold/slim
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #4

Looked it up and everyone raves about it. Seams it can be purchased all over the place. Amazon, big lots, dollar tree, etc. Does not contain bleach.

Bulk LA's Totally Awesome All-Purpose Concentrated Cleaner Refills, 32 oz. at DollarTree.com

LA's Totally Awesome Products - All Purpose Cleaner
Old 10-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Awesome worked great on our porch wall (stucco). Have not tried it on the trailer, as we had no need.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
LLN

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 2010
Pennsylvania
Registry
Dryer Sheets

Thanks for a number of great solutions to remove the artillery fungus. I guess it actually is the seed/spore shot by the plant. It adheres to the surface like super glue. You can scrap the black dot off, but the residue is the problem. One of my neighbors came up with dryer sheets. She says in Florida all the car washes use them to remove bugs from windshields, bumpers, etc. You wet the dry sheet and rub it over the surface and then wipe off. I have been working on this trailer for three days to rub out the stains left by the black spots/seeds. I saw another one of my neighbors with a bottle of Awesome taking the green mold off her white fence. I should go over and ask to try some of it. She must have a local source for the bottle of greatness. Thanks again everybody.
LLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #7

Sounds like a Barnacle of the land not of the sea.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I saw another one of my neighbors with a bottle of Awesome taking the green mold off her white fence. I should go over and ask to try some of it. She must have a local source for the bottle of greatness. Thanks again everybody.

The Dollar store!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
3M Marine Restore and Wax will also take it off and leave a shine.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #10

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
On our first trip out on our Lil Bigfoot, dry camping at a primitive site next to the ocean (Big Lagoon) in Northern California, we acquired a dose of artillery fungus on the front corner of the trailer which was closest to the foliage.

We're making the same trip again on Labor Day weekend, and I'd love to know if there's a preventive measure I can try?

I did eradicate *most* of this nasty stuff using "Awwesome" from the Dollar Store, along with a Mr. Clean sponge. Some of it sprouted out again on our last trip to cooler, moister climate.

These spore buggers seem to dig into the top strip of the belly band. Any ideas for how to discourage them from homesteading?
Old 08-21-2016, 05:13 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post

These spore buggers seem to dig into the top strip of the belly band. Any ideas for how to discourage them from homesteading?
Lots of paste wax before you go . Then stop and do a major wash job with pressure spray and scrub with microfiber cloth then double rinse BEFORE you get back home. Don't bring those hitch hikers to your house.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote