Assistance with portable toilets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-20-2010, 11:19 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
I'm thinking about getting a portable toilet. Usually we camp where there is flush toilets, so I generally wouldn't get one. But there are all kinds of campgrounds with out houses. Which I also, generally don't have a problem using. But now, my wife and I have two small children. And outhouses are just nasty. So we're probably doing to get one of those "toilet tents" and a portable toilet.

So I'm browsing and there are a bunch of different kinds. There's kind of three that I've looked at, all by Dometic. One is a 9.8 litre, and for another $10 I can get a 19 litre. But then there's this Deluxe model, for about another $30 or so.

So basically, do any of you have any recommendations on these? Or do you have others that you recommend? What makes the Deluxe, well...a Deluxe? I get the 9.8 litre vs 19 litre. Anyway, any info you might have would be greatly appreciated!
GordM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:52 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have always had a Thetford. You can't break them!

Thetford potties

As a matter of fact, I am looking at getting a smaller rig than this 31 ft Motorhome, but bigger than my 17 foot Burro. To keep the weight down, I will be using alternative fixtures to traditional ones.. (Point of use water heaters etc.) and a porta potti will be my throne of choice instead of a full bath and black water tank. I still have a large Thetford for this purpose.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:16 AM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I went with the Dometic 5-gallon. The capacity is important if you have 3 or even four, but the height is a big benefit too, if you have the space. I believe the deluxe model adds clips that can be used to secure the base for semi-permanent installations. A lot of these get used in boats. Do get one with a pump plunger as opposed to those models that instead use that little corrugated plastic pump thing that cracks. Dometic also has a model set up for MDS dock side pump out (for boats too, which you probably don't need), but it also has the regular pour out tube and comes with the clips. The Dometics are tu-tone finish, and the tan one is a VERY light beige, so I would get the grey one to hide scuff marks, especially with kids.

Lots of good feedback on the Thetford models too. The larger one with the plunger was too talk for my space, and I did not want the potential problems of the battery operated pump model in my wet bath area. My wife was a little afraid of it at first, but was relieved to have it on more than one occasion.

Regards,

Matt
Old 07-21-2010, 04:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy

We have a Thetford model 135 (I think). It looks and fits like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pottie.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	29651

I don't know how much it holds, but it is sufficient for the two of us at night.

Just looked it up, 2.5 gal:

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUCTS/Port...63/Default.aspx

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I have a Thetford also. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:35 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I agree with Matt. I bought a 5-gallon capacity for 3 people. with a pump plunge.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
Hmm, Thetford seems to be the more popular model on the forum. I wonder where in Canada you can get them? We have a Cabela's in Winnipeg, but their website doesn't show Thetford. Canadian Tire has the Dometics. I am going by a US Cabela's this weekend, maybe I'll stop in.
GordM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 88 Cadet
Canadian Tire carries them.
And Roger, I like your set up. Gives me a good idea for my Cadet.
L
Len Cater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #9

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I had a large porta-potty on my sailboat that had to be carried out to be dumped. Never again. Hauling that much wieght through a deck hatch was just terribly inconvenient. I have a Thetford 135 in my Scamp also, and the 2.5 gallons is much more manageable for regular dumping than hauling a big five gallon reservoir around. The fresh water capacity of the larger toilets is also more, which significantly increase the weight of the unit when you have to move it around. The smaller portable toilets are just a lot more convenient.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
I had a large porta-potty on my sailboat that had to be carried out to be dumped. Never again. Hauling that much wieght through a deck hatch was just terribly inconvenient. I have a Thetford 135 in my Scamp also, and the 2.5 gallons is much more manageable for regular dumping than hauling a big five gallon reservoir around. The fresh water capacity of the larger toilets is also more, which significantly increase the weight of the unit when you have to move it around. The smaller portable toilets are just a lot more convenient.

Roger
Well, you don't have to fill it entirely, and you could dump it as early and often as you wish. I personally would prefer to dump less frequently

That's just my take.